Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default I have an outdoor cat.

My neighbor, (who has never talked to me in the 13 months we have lived here...) Just came over, asked to speak with me and told me I need to put my cat in a shelter. Apparently she has pooped in her vegetable garden and now she needs to tear out all the veggies she planted yesterday. What a crock of B.S. At my last home I had a vegetable garden, animals pooped in it. I still ate the produce.

Now yes, my cat does go outside. But she goes out the backdoor (98% of the time) and I don't see her leave the yard for the most part. I know for a fact that there are other outdoor cats in our neighborhood and have seem them in my backyard too.

My cat is older (8 years). She was an outdoor cat long before she was my cat. It's not really easy to train an outdoor cat to be an indoor cat eh? Last time I tried that she ended up urinating all over the house. She is disabled (had a shattered pelvis which was rebuild, torn cornea, a few other broken bones, and has had her tail amputated). She does use a litter box in the house, it is cleaned regularly and she is producing.

Like seriously, what am I supposed to do?

Expert Forum User

I think that you need to get your cat a really long leash and keep her in your own yard. Its not fair to the other neighbours that your cat is using their property as a litter box.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

But how does this lady know your cat did it? Did she actually see it use her garden as a litter box?

Seriously, I find raccoon poop on my property far more often than I find cat poop. Should the city put all raccoons in a shelter or on a leash?
    I think outdoor living includes animals and, yes, I would consider it normal that animals also visit the vegetable patch in various ways. If your neighbour can't deal with that then she needs to get a green house or fence in her veggies (including a fence over top of them).
    Last edited by floretta; 04-30-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Expert Forum User

Hm... I dunno. While on the one hand I do not think you have a remedy for this, as I don't think you can train your cat to stay inside or stay on a leash, I also don't think the neighbors should have to deal with you cat's poop (assuming it is your cat's tootsie roll).

I would watch out for this neighbour. She/he sounds like a crotchety ol' crankpot. For one, she shouldn't recommend a shelter right off the bat. Given the adaptability of older cats, she might as well have said “You need to put your cat to sleep“. She also doesn't seem to know much about gardening if she thinks that rabbits, birds and bugs aren't already leaving their little treasures all over her garden.

Watch out that these people don't hurt your cat or otherwise trap and dump it in the country.

Expert Forum User

Oh, she's definitely on the crotchy side of things. We got cable TV when we moved here. She actually asked us if we were going to fix her grass because Rogers needed to run new lines to our house (cable box in front of her own). She thought we should just get satellite as the last owners had. The last owners had a dog, and apparently we've been nothing but trouble.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I agree with most of the PPs. An outside cat is going to crap wherever it wants, your neighbour should suck it up or get a fence. I had a crabby old neighbor too who said he was going to call animal control on me because my cat scratched his car. BS.

I don't think its fair to say a neighbour has to suck it up about someone else's cat shit in her yard. I can't really comment though, I have neighbours who have outdoor cats and they spray my fence/french doors, crap in our gardens and leave dead chipmunks/birds here. I'm bring driven nuts all the time. Raccoons can't be easily stopped (however I have yet to see one here) but to see numerous cats (pets!) in my garden and back yard makes me so mad. It shouldn't be my responsibility. BUT, I don't think the answer is giving the cat to a shelter and I've never complained to the neighbour in person- so I'm just *****ing in my head! lol You're neighbour sounds like a peach!
    ( I have a fence too- that does squat keeping a cat out)
    Last edited by newmum2; 04-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

There is a product that you can spray around gardens to keep pets away. You could buy her a bottle as a peace offering.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Why can't your cat be an indoor cat?
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Personally, I think it's cruel to keep cats indoors. Especially one that is used to being outside. How would you like to stay indoors for the rest of your life, right?

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My cat has never and will never go outside unless she is on a leash. There are too many dangers in my neighbourhood for her. She is just as healthy as any outdoor cat.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Banned

I've had Cats using my garden as a litter box and I was/am less then impressed.

I've actually turned the hose on and sprayed in their direction to scare them away. They always come back. If I knew where they lived I would be talking to their owners.

Mine is not a vegetable garden either. Just a plain old front garden and it does irritate me.

I think I should go look for some of that spray.

I think buying your neighbour a bottle is a Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by brown_eyed_girl View Post
    Personally, I think it's cruel to keep cats indoors. Especially one that is used to being outside. How would you like to stay indoors for the rest of your life, right?
    I was just writing an edit about that. I HATE the idea of any animal being cooped up indoors. I don't see why cats can't be in yards on leashes however
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

I can't really comment much because I am pro outdoor cats. So I would obviously be biased. You can put cayenne pepper in your garden to keep cats out. They don't like it because when they lick their paws it's spicy. But from the sounds of it I don't think your neighbour would be open to this solution. I grew up with outdoor cats and when we got a cat we let him roam outside too. We had a couple neighbours complain and so my parents took him in because my mom loves him. We now just keep him for a couple months a year while they are away. It's like two different worlds where we are from as far as the cat thing goes. My parents still live in the neighbourhood I grew up in and apparently the neighbours adore him there. I am glad he is happy.
    I hope you can figure something out.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast