Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Question Do you allow your child to take a toy to school/daycare/in the car?

I feel like a mean mama, because I don't.

They don't ask, but it's never a habit we started.

If you do - what is the rationale there?

Expert Forum User

No mine don't. But mine are older, when DD was younger she carried around a doll everywhere, but it wasn't allowed at big school.

Banned

Do you mean just in the car or actually into the school?

My nursery school kids are always taking stuff to school. I try to get it off them in the hallway, and if I can't then I tell the teacher that they have it and they get it away later on.

They want to take it, it's not harming anyone, so I figure why not?

Expert Forum User

yes.
    Jacob loves his cuddly friends. He brings one everyday for nap time. If he doesn't its not a huge deal...but things go much more smoothly if he does.

If he brings an actual toy, it stays in the car or goes into his backpack as soon as he gets to daycare.

I don't see a big deal - he knows if he leaves it laying around it will be played with by someone else and possibly misplaced or stolen.

Jake &Tate

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

most of the time no. But if she is really clinging on to something she can only take it to the car and nowhere from there. We usually leave her bears/cars to “sleep“ in the car.

Expert Forum User

I didn't want to and I didn't for the longest time but at the sitters their are kids who do every day. Not just little things either like huge bags of toys some days. I think it is a little much. Anyhow my ds now like to take stuff to so he can share with his friends.

Expert Forum User

not day care cause I don't want her fighting for her toys with other kids... she is overprotective of her stuff. otherwise sure but then I have to make sure she doesn't throw it out of the stroller. try not to but if she insists then she gets her way.

Expert Forum User

When he went to daycare, they said the child should bring a comfort item, which for DS was a teddy bear...so he took it, but never used it so we brought it home. For school, no - no toys unless it's for show & tell. In the car, yes. He gets to bring a toy to keep him entertained.

Expert Forum User

My DS's comfort object comes with us pretty much everywhere. My rationale is that it's either dolly's hair or mine he'll grab onto when he's feeling low and I'd rather not be carrying around 34lbs of toddler attached to my hair
    She's also a pretty good conversation piece because she's very 'well loved'.
    It doesn't bother me to bring her and it makes our outings run more smoothly.
    We don't have DS in daycare but if we did I would send dolly for naptime and comforting him. I wouldn't send other toys. We do bring some toys in the car if we're going on a long trip and it's not naptime.
    Last edited by jenelen; 04-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
    most of the time no. But if she is really clinging on to something she can only take it to the car and nowhere from there. We usually leave her bears/cars to “sleep“ in the car.
    yeah we put stuff to sleep too... she has a stuffed dog that she can't sleep without but if she plays with it outside of nap/bed time then she constantly sucks her thumb, so we put doggie to sleep when she is not in the crib.

Expert Forum User

I let her bring stuff - but it “sleeps“ in her cubby while she's in daycare. It's not worth the fight in the morning getting out of the house.

Expert Forum User

nope I havent allowed her too yet

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

We let A take a teddy bear twice last week, but it was more to encourage positive behaviour. 'show teddy bear how you are a good boya nd eat all your lunch' or whatever....
    meh. it worked for two days.

Expert Forum User

I should add I have a nephew who takes stuff everywhere. totally disuaded me on the whole 'bring a toy in the car' thing.
    sometimes there is something there, sometimes not. the kids don't ask to bring anything

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i have a teddy bear that is just for the car. either he falls asleep holding Mr.Bear or he chucks it across the back seat.

usually he's quite content to sing/talk to himself until he's fallen asleep.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast