Expert Forum User

Default School Pictures Questions

DD is having her first ever school pictures on Thursday. We are looking over the packages and are full of questions. Some can wait till monday to ask the teachers, but I thought you expert moms out there might have answers for me.
    Do they do a class picture any more or just individual???? I only see a spot to order individual and that I have to pay beforehand.
    My thoughts are if no class pic and I hate the individual one I have already paid for, I am stuck.
    I am already planning on going to superstore in a couple of weeks for her birthday pics and can get about the same size package as the school is offering- only I can choose a pose/more than one pose I like and not take a chance that I will not like my choices.
    What are people doing these days??? Are you getting the school packages and just hoping they are good???
    Will we get a class pic- my favorite part of school pics as a kid?
    It's not grad, so my thought is no big deal if we don't get it done at school, if there is no class pic.
    Input much appreciated.
    TIA
    Last edited by Sleepless in London; 10-14-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Banned

MY understanding about the pics is every child gets a class pic no matter what .Even if you do not order the individual. I have never been happy with the quality of the pics taken by the school so I ususally just get my kids pics done at the Superstore each year. I don't know if things are different with different school boards I have experience with the Catholic board and now this year the Public board .

we get school pics every year, just something we do. If you do not like then they do retakes at a later time.

You get a class pic...if you don't order seperate pictures you can purchase a class pic for $2. (or something like that).
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

every child gets one free class picture is my understanding from my DD's form last month. i didn't see anywhere to order any so i think every child gets one
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

Expert Forum User

At our school the class pictures aren't taken until the spring.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

At the schools we've been at, you automatically get a class pic, is why it's not included as part of your order - you should NOT have to buy a class picture. You may have to send payment with the pics, but you can refuse them and get your cheque back. I get the picture with the calendar for my kids, as a momento of the year that pic was taken. I do superstore for the shot of both the kids now that they both get school pictures.

Administrator Site Admin

We always but the cheapest package just so we have them! You could scan it in if you wanted more!

We always get a free class pic!
    Leslie

I always dress my kids in the same clothes as the class picture and get individuals done somewhere else where I can see what I'm buying.

As a teacher, I always stand behind the photographer (which I'm sure they hate!!) and try to make sure each child's hair is right and all that, as I find that people are usually not too happy with what they get because the photographer is in speed mode and just trying to get all the kids through.

The school does take a photo of each child who are in certain grades for their OSR's in case of an emergency.
    ~LBG

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

it depends on the company the school uses, last year we had to pay first get pics after and I HATED the p[ics but they did come back for a second chance and even then if you still didnt like them you would have got your money back. This year its pics first pay when you see them

Expert Forum User

Thanks for all your input ladies...I'll have to sort it out for sure with the school tomorrow.
    That is fine that they will do retakes/or give me my money back...but if I want pics to send with Xmas cards, I want to know I will have them by then. I think I may go with pp suggestion and get a class pic and go to superstore dressed in the same outfit, and know I have individual pic I like, in time for Xmas.

Banned

Last year our class pic was taken at a totally different time (ie different day, possibly different season!) from the official school pics, and we got no warning it was going to be taken!! Grrrrr..... It just got sent home one day and I was left to wonder, hmmm, when was that taken?!

got the form today

our school....class pics are free..

packages are over priced...But I get the family plan...buy packages for 2 and the rest are free. (still over priced though)
    Mom of 2 and 2

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

At our school we have pics taken , you get to chose your pose. Then in afew weeks they send you home with a proof sheet. You order your pictures then. I think that class pictures are included. I can't quite remember from last year. I like the system. This way if you dont' like how they turned out you have the option of retakes.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Mitchell, ON, far enough to be quaint but close enough to visit

We use to get school pics but when we ran into money problems that was one thing we couldn't afford, so instead in Oct I take my 3 boys down to the park in town or Stratford and take pics myself, we do them together and individuals. They turn out ausome and I order enough at Wal-mart and I think it costs me like 20$ for all three boys and there are 6-8X10, 6=5X7, 6-3 1/2X5 and also some 4X6 and wallet sizes. I know its not taken at school but its still the same time as school pics and to be honest I like outside pics and the boys have fun cuz we get to explore new areas.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by momofallboys View Post
    We use to get school pics but when we ran into money problems that was one thing we couldn't afford, so instead in Oct I take my 3 boys down to the park in town or Stratford and take pics myself, we do them together and individuals. They turn out ausome and I order enough at Wal-mart and I think it costs me like 20$ for all three boys and there are 6-8X10, 6=5X7, 6-3 1/2X5 and also some 4X6 and wallet sizes. I know its not taken at school but its still the same time as school pics and to be honest I like outside pics and the boys have fun cuz we get to explore new areas.
    that is another great idea- thanks!
    What ended up happening...believe it or not- there was "an incident" in the classroom the morning of pics. We had ordered a pkge- had to get first ones- our order form and envelope in DD school bag. When she got home from school the order form was still in there. Apparently the teacher did not see the form with whatever was going on. I know another child was missed also...but don't know how many more.
    So we went to our superstore for the xmas card pics and had DD dressed in school outfit first- took pics, and then took xmas card pics.
    I got to choose what I wanted and am very happy. Not sure I will ever do the pics at school- at least the next couple of years anyways.