Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default The Great Vax Debate - Part 4,378!

Quote Originally Posted by Morna
    Just another perspective but to each their own. As a parent, we must do what we must in order to help our children thrive and, in all honesty, I still haven't decided if I'll do it or not (for either myself or my son).
    Please tell me you're not saying that parents who chose not to vaccinate their children are not helping their children thrive?

Banned

Ok, I know of one mother who could say that if she hadn't vaccinated her child said child would still be alive. To vaccinate or not is a tough issue, things can go terribley wrong either way. I don't think as mature adults, parents whatever we are, that we should be making bold statements as that. We support our fellow mothers/caregivers.

My bestfriend got her son the CP vaccine, and I am not, our kids will still play together, we have talked this over, I respect her reasonings, and I hope that she respects mine.

Our children thrive on knowing to accept all different opinions and to respect others for having those opinions. Not because we pump them full of vaccines.

ETA : Carter is fully vaccinated, the only one he will not be receiving is the CP one.

Default vaccines

I must throw my two cents in here.

I've seen more parents than I thought in the recent years who for some weird reason have not vaccinated their children for the standard vaccines. What I can't figure out is WHY???

The threat of Polio is a vast memory for some but still there, why put this risk back out there?? These diseases may not be in our backyards at the moment but they are not off the planet. If more and more and more people don't vaccinate then eventually what will happen?? Mr. Joe flies all over the world and doesn't vaccinate he lands in London and then what??? Sorry this just scares me more than I'd like to admit. There's risks to everything we do in life and thanks to the wonders of the internet you can find something bad in just about anything if you look hard enough...everyone has a theory, but to me you have to draw a line somewhere. You can get hit by a bus by crossing the street without looking both ways but do you never cross the street????
    Erica

Mom to Evan and Britney

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes

Default Re: vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by ~Erica~
    You can get hit by a bus by crossing the street without looking both ways but do you never cross the street????
    I think that's a bit of a flawed theory. Yes, I cross the street, but I do it with caution, the same as anyone else. Having been witness to several children who've had vax related seizures and cared for two children who are in a vegetative state as a direct result of a vaccination is enough for me not to vaccinate my children, at this time. Their immune systems are not yet fully developed, so why take advantage of their vulnerability? The companies that make the vaccines, set the vaccination schedules - this seems a bit self-serving. Until someone can tell me that my children will be 100% healthy after a vax, I am not willing to take that risk. Heaven forbid one of my children contract a vaccinatable disease, lucky for us most are treatable, thanks to the proximity of world class medicine.

Am I wrong in thinking that children, just like the elderly are the most vulnerable to diseases, hence this is why they need the vaccines the most?

I agree that there is a small risk of complications with vaccinations, but the benefits far outweigh the risks not just for the individual child, but to the rest of society.

Just my opinion...

This is my opinion on the subject.....but before I say my opinion I just wanted to make a point that everyone is entitled to their opinion...and even though some of my friends have diffrent opinions then the one I am giving on this topic it doesn't mean that I think that you are wrong...I just think you have a different opinion OK

But none of us are really old enough to remember what the diseases did to people before these vaccines were created. Because of vaccines we don't have memories of iron lungs for polio victims, measles outbreaks that sicken and killed hundreds, smallpox, etc. We are spoiled today because we have had so many advances in medicine, and we cannot imagine the horrors that our grandparents or even parents (if our parents are in their sixties or older). had to witness due to rampant disease.

The reason most people don't get sick now is because most people have been vaccinated and those who haven't aren't exposed. If the reverse occurs, then we will find that these diseases aren't eradicated, but are just dormant, waiting to break out again.

By not vaccinating your kids, they are not only vulnerable to these dieases, but others around them are more vulnerable to disease. Vaccines are not 100% foolproof. They work by tricking your body to build up it's own defenses. They stimulate the production of "memory cells." So, when you are exposed to that nasty bug you've been vaxed against, your body says, "hey, I recognize that" and produces lots and lots of these immune cells that spit out antibodies that attack the invading virus or bacteria.

And yes, there are a lot of chemicals added in with the vaccines. These are added to boost immunity. Without them, your body has a weak response to some of these immunizations. They help the cells in your body recognize the invading bug and respond. Other chemicals or additives are to help preserve the vaccine. Without them, the vaccines would have a very short shelf life, making them almost impossible to give to people before they go bad. The vaccine can't go directly from the lab to the child.

And thats my opinion!

Banned

Vaccines are not 100% foolproof. They work by tricking your body to build up it's own defenses. They stimulate the production of "memory cells." So, when you are exposed to that nasty bug you've been vaxed against, your body says, "hey, I recognize that" and produces lots and lots of these immune cells that spit out antibodies that attack the invading virus or bacteria.
    Not trying to stir up anything, but if your own bodies don't build up the immunities when we have certain diseases such as chicken pox, would the vaccine not work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by CartersMummy
    Not trying to stir up anything, but if your own bodies don't build up the immunities when we have certain diseases such as chicken pox, would the vaccine not work as well?
    um? do you mean like people who get chicken pox more than once? That is pretty rare. I have never heard of anyone getting the polio virus years after they have been vaxed againist it.....but I have never researched that either so.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maisie's mum
    Quote Originally Posted by CartersMummy
    um? do you mean like people who get chicken pox more than once? That is pretty rare. I have never heard of anyone getting the polio virus years after they have been vaxed againist it.....but I have never researched that either so.....
    Yes I mean for people who get the CP's more then once. It happens more then we think. I should have clarified better. I meant with just the chicken pox vaccine in itself not polio, rubella, small pox. Sorry my bad

Remember that Rubella outbreak in Norwich, Ontario? I remember the media, dignitaries and some HCPs (among others) making an enourmous deal about how dangerous it was that these people had not been vaccinated against this. The reports seemed to have gone on for at least many days, with our PM desperatly urging people to vaccinate because they can prevent terrible things from happening to children, and unborn fetus's...

Anyone heard anything about damaged people and babies, like they were convinced would come from this? I'm honestly curious. I would expect the media to pick up on the story again if people were harmed/maimed, just to drive the point home (for the health agencies) that vaccines save.

Anyone heard any follow-up reports?

Quote Originally Posted by Siana
    Remember that Rubella outbreak in Norwich, Ontario? I remember the media, dignitaries and some HCPs (among others) making an enourmous deal about how dangerous it was that these people had not been vaccinated against this.
    Umm, I haven't heard any follow-up reports, but Rubella is one of the vaccines that can wear off after time. I had my MMR Booster, but they tested me with my last pregnancy and I was no longer immune and had to get another booster.
    Jeanne
    Mom to Cassandra, Kyle, Noah, and Holleigh

My MMR wore off as well. When I was volunteering at Sick Kids in Toronto back in 2001 I had to get tested for this, and as it turns out I was still immune to mumps and rubella but not measels. My Dr. at the time had told me that anyone born before 199? (I can't remember exactly) didn't get the follow up booster that was required, and that today that shouldn't happen to kids, but that for many adults their MMR would have worn off by now (at least partially, like mine). I had to get a follow-up booster shot.

Expert Forum User

I think its a personal choice and if you feel its not for you then fine, but I am terrified that my children would pick up something. Although a lot of these diseases haven't been seen around here there are immigrants coming over from countries that do see these illnesses. I'm sure all those who have legally immigrated have gone through all the right medical measures but there are people who illegally immigrate and who knows what they could bring here. I know TB is a little more commom then the other diseases but you don't hear about it much, but my husband is a carrier and he has been tested every year for the last 10 years and last year he came up positive, did 9 mths of medication and we're hoping its enough for him never to come up with active TB. We have no idea where he came in contact with it. Luckily my girls and I tested negative.

Banned

I remember the outbreak in Norwich and it terrified me! I was a few months pregnant and I missed my nephew's baptism in Woodstock for the fear of someone being at that baptism who could have maybe had Rubella. I know my MMR shot had worn off and I had had a second one, but I was being very cautious.

Personally I think that kids should get the vaccines. It isn't really fair that only some of us (the majority) take the risk to get the vaccines, while others say the disease is gone, why should I risk my kids. If we all said that, the diseases would not be gone. The people who do not vaccinate are not looking at this as a collective effort - only personal.

Talking about if we have heard of the stories surrounding things happening to unborn fetuses... we know that this disease causes birth defects to the fetus, so because we haven't heard any stories about it, does that make it not true? Does that mean we shouldn't be vaccinated against MMR because, well, we don't know anyone it has affected?

Morna

Default Re: The Great Vax Debate - Part 4,378!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRPN
    Quote Originally Posted by Morna
    Just another perspective but to each their own. As a parent, we must do what we must in order to help our children thrive and, in all honesty, I still haven't decided if I'll do it or not (for either myself or my son).
    Please tell me you're not saying that parents who chose not to vaccinate their children are not helping their children thrive?
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying as a parent, we do what we must do. If you want to vaccinate your children please do. If you don't want to vaccinate your children that's fine too. You are the parent, it's your call.

That's the thing that sucks about the internet, many things can be misinterpreted. Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast