Expert Forum User

Unhappy sobbing..ooo my boobie

I have mastitis AGAIN
    I swear its my destiny to have a sore boob forever. This is the thrid time, second time since we moved in to our new place. how lame is that?

I think I have leftover antibiotics around here from the last time which was like a month or two ago..do you think they are still good??

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Have you tried hot compresses alternating with cold sliced potatoes? My midwife recommended that to me and even though I went to the walk-in clinic and got the prescription filled, I was able to get rid of it with just doing that and didn't need to take the antibiotics. Sounds weird, but it worked!

Expert Forum User

potato protocol WORKS!!!
    since you moved have you been not getting enough rest? (i know, i know, stupid question, but maybe your body is making you pay attention to the fact that you NEED to lay down more) mastitis is frequently brought on by doing too much.
    antibiotics alone won't get rid of mastitis or prevent it's reccurrence.
    i'm SO SORRY you have this again, it's really rough. that blows. i hope you can kick it FAST!
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by hinagal View Post
    potato protocol WORKS!!!
    since you moved have you been not getting enough rest? (i know, i know, stupid question, but maybe your body is making you pay attention to the fact that you NEED to lay down more) mastitis is frequently brought on by doing too much.
    antibiotics alone won't get rid of mastitis or prevent it's reccurrence.
    i'm SO SORRY you have this again, it's really rough. that blows. i hope you can kick it FAST!
    Its stress thats causing it to come back I know it is. Everytime I have a really bad few days I get it. I neeed more rest. I kick myself in the butt all the time for not getting enough rest. LOL.
    im going to slice some potatos! I never heard that they could help it! Thats pretty cool!

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Crunchy View Post
    Its stress thats causing it to come back I know it is. Everytime I have a really bad few days I get it. I neeed more rest. I kick myself in the butt all the time for not getting enough rest. LOL.
    im going to slice some potatos! I never heard that they could help it! Thats pretty cool!
    rest mama, rest rest rest, you MUST. mastitis kicks the crap outta you.
    the potatos are really cool, and they get soft FAST. check out the potato protocol on dr.newman's website.
    www.drjacknewman.com
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

Mastitis

If you start getting symptoms of mastitis (painful lump in the breast, redness and pain of the breast, fever), try to get some rest. Go to bed and take the baby with you so you can continue breastfeeding while remaining in bed. Rest is good to help fight off infection.

Continue breastfeeding on the affected side. It should go without saying that you should continue on the other breast as well. Of course, if you are in so much pain that you cannot put the baby to the affected breast, continue on the other side and as soon as your breast is less painful put the baby to the breast with the mastitis. Sometimes expressing your milk may be less painful, but not always, so if you can, continue breastfeeding on the affected side. Mothers and babies share all their germs.

Heat helps fight off infection. It also may help with draining of the breast. Use a hot water bottle or heating pad but be careful not to burn the skin.

Fever helps fight off infection. Adults usually feel terrible when they have a fever and you may want to bring down the fever for this reason. But you don’t need to bring down the fever just because it’s there. Fever does not cause the milk to go bad!

Potatoes (adapted from Bridget Lynch, RM, Community Midwives of Toronto). Within the first 24 hours of your symptoms beginning, you may find that applying slices of raw potato to the breast will reduce the pain, swelling, and redness of mastitis.

• Cut 6 to 8 washed raw potatoes lengthwise into thin slices.
    • Place in a large bowl of water at room temperature and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
    • Apply the wet potato slices to the affected area of the breast and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
    • Remove and discard after 15 to 20 minutes and apply new slices from the bowl.
    • Repeat this process two more times so that you have applied potato slices 3 times in an hour.
    • Take a break for 20 or 30 minutes and then repeat the procedure.
    Blocked Ducts & Mastitis

Expert Forum User

Thankyou so much for that hinagal
    off I go to peel some taters.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

Won't hubby be surprised at how many potatoes he has for dinner tonight...lol. WHats with all the potatoes hunny? Nothing.......

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    Won't hubby be surprised at how many potatoes he has for dinner tonight...lol. WHats with all the potatoes hunny? Nothing.......
    rofl rofl rofl

Also, at the babywearing meeting you were doing a back carry with the crosses spread over your breasts... you may want to avoid tight fabric over your breasts if you're prone to infections. Try to get some rests, and I hope it heals quickly for you.

Ouch. I jut got over mastitis! Your poor boobie.

Hmm you're supposed to finish the antibiotics to ensure the infection is gone, even if symptoms are gone.

I hope the potatoes have provided some relief!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by JudyO View Post
    Also, at the babywearing meeting you were doing a back carry with the crosses spread over your breasts... you may want to avoid tight fabric over your breasts if you're prone to infections. Try to get some rests, and I hope it heals quickly for you.
    But its sooo comfy!!! LOL
    I guess I'll try another carry today... seeing as my breast is still a little sore. I feel a LOT better right now mind you. But I dont want it to get bad again.

You should have seen my husbands face yesterday when he got hom from work with me laying there on the couch with potatos on!!! LOL

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Crunchy View Post
    But its sooo comfy!!! LOL
    I guess I'll try another carry today... seeing as my breast is still a little sore. I feel a LOT better right now mind you. But I dont want it to get bad again.

You should have seen my husbands face yesterday when he got hom from work with me laying there on the couch with potatos on!!! LOL
    LOL! i can only imagine!!
    SO glad to hear you are feeling a little better!! the potato proto is well worth it, eh?
    sounds like the wrap could be part of the issue, compounded with not enough rest. *sigh* if only life were simple!!