Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default i think i am losing my supply!

i am exclusivly BF other then the occasional bottle when i need to go out....i have tried nursing tea and fenugreek and i am drinking like crazy ( water that is!) i hardly have a let down and within a few minutes i am empty and can't express anymore with compressions. baby is 2.5 months old and not really settling after a feed. i have had to start feeding from both sides. and usually we do every 2.5 to 3 hrs

i am thinking about getting a script for domperidone....any other thoughts?
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Expert Forum User

Are you getting enough sleep? Blessed thistle, as much steel cut oatmeal as you can stomach, a dark beer right after you feed, and domperidone. Do you have a pump that you could use after each feed?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Is it possible for you to feed more often? I tried the herbs (Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek) with some results, but they didn't work for me as well as they have with other people. I also tried Domperidone, but it jacked up my appetite so much and didn't work well for me either.

I quit all of that stuff and I started pumping in between feeds and trying to get DD to feed more often, and then she hit a growth spurt and boom! I have no more supply issues. I think I was freaking out prematurely and it just took a bit for my body to regulate itself. I also noticed a huge difference in production (early on - not anymore) with the amount of sleep I got.

Now she just ramps up her feeds and my supply follows suit. She's doing it now, and I was up every 2, sometimes less, hours last night, but it only lasts for a few days and then we're back to normal.

So after all that rambling I'd try increasing the frequency of feeds, and getting more rest (if possible), then try the herbs, and if those don't work finally domperidone.

Expert Forum User

i have been feeding him every 2 hrs today ...i have a pump but i can't pump in between....too much with the others at home!
    i just bought more fenugreek and blessed thistle so i will give those a day or so to work and go from there!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Good luck, I really hope it works out for you!

Expert Forum User

have you had someone who is really good at lactation support to check your latch?
    i suggest not pumping, and instead fine tuning the nursing and position. pumping is way too much work, especially with a frequent nurser!!
    remember that there are times when they will have cluster feedings and want to be on repeatedly, often in the early hours of the evening. if you can get comfy and hunker down, and nurse nurse nurse, that may help too!
    but bottom line, be really sure your positioning is really good, it's really important when your supply is low.
    good luck!!
    if you want positioning tips, feel free to pm me. sometimes a small change can make a huge difference!
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

How long have you been feeling empty like this for? If it's only been a few days I would think it's a growth spurt and would wait it out while continuing to put him on as often as possible.
    If it's been longer I would talk to a lactation consultant.
    I go through days when I feel pretty empty and then all the sudden I wake up hugely engorged again, which lasts for a few days and then I'm back to empty. It's weird, but my girl seems to be happy so whatever.

Expert Forum User

thanks hinagal.... he really doesn't cluster feed, i feel like my latch is fine, no pain or anything. i feed in a cross cradle postion and compress as per the newman site when he is just sucking but not drinking,

floretta...i don't think he is in a growth spurt yet he is 2.5 but i know one is coming up soon!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

yes. you need to make sure the latch is very good. often we see babies who have not been well latched on, kind of “hit the wall“ near three months. A small change in technique can pay huge dividends, as can adding breast compression.

Breast compression alone will make a big difference in increasing supply b/c it ensures better draining of the breast, which in turn, helps to increase supply.

you can read about good latching and breast compression at Newman Breastfeeding Clinic & Institute

domperidone is an option, but often these small changes make it unnecessary. don't give up!
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

Expert Forum User

what small changes should i make in latching???

i have checked the newman site about compression and have been doing that....
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Expert Forum User

first i would check nose .. is babe's nose anywhere near your breast tissue? or can you fit your finger between his nose and your breast? (this is when not holding your breast away from his nose or anything, just relaxed)
    Last edited by hinagal; 04-19-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

his nose is up against the breast, just enough room to breathe
    Last edited by angela; 04-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Expert Forum User

ok, so if the nose is against your breast and you are feeding on the left side, you need to slide his body about an inch or two to the right. this should help to tip his head back and bring his nose OFF your breast.
    you want to be able to see both his eyes, ideally, and be sure there is ample room between nose and breast. here is why ...
    when you tip your head back *try it yourself now* you can swallow easily and open your mouth easily.
    when you tip your chin down *try that yourself now too* you will find it's hard to swallow and impossible to open wide.
    you want his nose off the breast because it will keep his head tipped back allowing him to swallow easily and more quickly and this will increase your flow and your supply, hopefully quickly!
    let me know if you have trouble with it ...

basically when you line him up with the breast to latch him, you want his nose lined up with your nipple so he has to reach for it. he will also take more breast this way and nurse WAY more effectively.
    Last edited by hinagal; 04-19-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Expert Forum User

I agree with hinagal, simple adjustments can impact supply. Also, don't be surprised if it is the 3 month growth spurt... If this empty feeling has only just started, it very well may have arrived a little early. Our little ones don't follow the calendars quite as meticulously as we mamas do
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

thanks guys! i will work on it today....he is getting wiggly so holding him properly can be tricky! the herbs are starting to kick in too......
    i will keep you posted!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast