Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

All of this makes me want to homeschool
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    All of this makes me want to homeschool
    Me too. And because that message is too short I'll have to say it again - me too.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Wow! I am sure I am going to get jumped on for this, but... I actually think that homeowork is a very important part of our children's learning and look forward to being there for my child during it. I know it is hard... and even stuf that we have forgotten or may not understand - lol ... but I personally feel that it is something that is essential. Life is a continual learning process and not something that just takes place with in the walls of a school or a text. I feel that children should continue to learn outside the confines of the classroom. I also feel that it is important for the parent/caregiver to be a part of that as it is a time of bonding and understanding with the child. Not to mention it is a chance for the parents to fully understand what their child is learning and how they are succeeding in school. While teachers (who have the most imporant job in the world in my opinion) are important and have the job of teaching our children... I feel that it should be something that the parents and schools do together. Teachers only have our children for so many hours a day... and do not always know of extenuating circumstances or even pick up on things our children may be struggling with right away. They have a whole class to deal with. If parents are a part of the learning equation then that child suddenly gets the one on one time/attention that can often be so essential.

Sometimes I feel (and not implying this is anyone who has posted in this thread) that we overschedule our lives and the lives of of children. This means there is a constant need to rush rush rush ... and with so little time homeowrk becaomes a nusance. I believe that there is a great deal of value to extra curriculars as well... just that too many can become more of a hinderance than a benefit.

I also feel that homework at a young age... when encouraged by both the school system (ie teachers.) and the home (ie parents/caregivers) instills early habits that will aid children down the line. It is important that children learn to follow through on commitments and do things on their own time. When highschool rolls around there is a lot more homework... and even classes that are done intirely independant study. Not to mention college. Helping our children to gradually build up to the point of handling their homework and having the motivation to complete it is really important in their future education.

As for the extras of school... like the mentioned Terry Fox Run... or school carnivals... or fun days... I feel they are very importnat. OUr children need to learn about being a part of the cummunity, about generosity, about the importance of physical fitness, and of course that it is imporant to find a balance in life. Learning should be seen not only as something that comes from a text, but of something that can be fun and found in the many activities that surround our children daily. It would be easy to say that that should be the part that takes place at home, but I personally think that it should be a combination of both in both situation (meaning text/situational learning a both school and home). Children learn a lot about getting along, solving problems, organization, team building, being a member of the community and physical fitness through these types of activities.

I am not saying that I think that children should have hours and hours of homework every night. Nor am I saying that it is easy to find the time to fit homework into our often over stuffed schedules. Furthermore I am DEFINATELY not trying to say that homework should come at the expense of quality time with your child. All I am trying to say is that I feel that it is a great opportunity for us to get to know our child a little better and be a part of their learning adventure. It think that an age appropriate amount is great... but no more than 20-30 min for primary/juniors... maybe up to an hour for 7-8. I also do not think it has to be every simgle night in this amount, but that it should be anticipated... especially if the child is not finishing work in school.

*may I ad that my daugter is only 3 1/2, but she does get homework sheets from her preschool which we do togteher*
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    Life is a continual learning process and not something that just takes place with in the walls of a school or a text. I feel that children should continue to learn outside the confines of the classroom. I also feel that it is important for the parent/caregiver to be a part of that as it is a time of bonding and understanding with the child. Not to mention it is a chance for the parents to fully understand what their child is learning and how they are succeeding in school.

Sometimes I feel (and not implying this is anyone who has posted in this thread) that we overschedule our lives and the lives of of children. This means there is a constant need to rush rush rush ... and with so little time homeowrk becaomes a nusance. I believe that there is a great deal of value to extra curriculars as well... just that too many can become more of a hinderance than a benefit.

I also feel that homework at a young age... when encouraged by both the school system (ie teachers.) and the home (ie parents/caregivers) instills early habits that will aid children down the line. It is important that children learn to follow through on commitments and do things on their own time. When highschool rolls around there is a lot more homework... and even classes that are done intirely independant study. Not to mention college. Helping our children to gradually build up to the point of handling their homework and having the motivation to complete it is really important in their future education.

.As for the extras of school... like the mentioned Terry Fox Run... or school carnivals... or fun days... I feel they are very importnat. OUr children need to learn about being a part of the cummunity, about generosity, about the importance of physical fitness, and of course that it is imporant to find a balance in life. Learning should be seen not only as something that comes from a text, but of something that can be fun and found in the many activities that surround our children daily. It would be easy to say that that should be the part that takes place at home, but I personally think that it should be a combination of both in both situation (meaning text/situational learning a both school and home). Children learn a lot about getting along, solving problems, organization, team building, being a member of the community and physical fitness through these types of activities.

*may I ad that my daugter is only 3 1/2, but she does get homework sheets from her preschool which we do togteher*
    I feel that children should continue to learn outside the confines of the classroom. I also feel that it is important for the parent/caregiver to be a part of that as it is a time of bonding and understanding with the child

I also agree about learning outside the classroom. But, when I choose to spend my time walking in the woods with my kids they learn about nature, animals, the effects of water erosion etc etc. This is different from the classroom and just as important. Leave the classroom stuff in the classroom and take time to spend time together all the while learning about different things.

Sometimes I feel (and not implying this is anyone who has posted in this thread) that we overschedule our lives and the lives of of children

My kids are hardly overscheduled. We only allow them to do one activity at a time. Why? Because we value family time. And, just as we ask that adults leave work at work so they can spend family time I think it is important for schools to do the same.

I also feel that homework at a young age... when encouraged by both the school system (ie teachers.) and the home (ie parents/caregivers) instills early habits that will aid children down the line. It is important that children learn to follow through on commitments and do things on their own time. When highschool rolls around there is a lot more homework... and even classes that are done intirely independant study.

There are actually a number of studies ongoing right now that have shown this to not be true. Many kids are put off by homework at an early age as they have a negative association with it. Many kids just are not emotionally or developmentally ready to spend all day in school and then another 30 minutes to an hour in study at home. Some studies have shown homework to have a detrimental effect. Google it and read some of it. It is really quite interesting.

As for the Terry Fox run....I think these things are okay IF you can still fit the curriculum in the confines of a day. And, if we have to depend on the school system to teach our children compassion then we have major problems. Compassion is something that should be engrained in our children from a young age. Not something that has to be 'taught' by a school system. It is great if they support the idea of compassion - we need more of it. But, their JOB is to teach my child the academics.
    Last edited by daycaremommy; 10-12-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Expert Forum User

Wow! That's crazy! My daughter is in grade 2 also, and is rather advanced, yet still only gets the "10 minted of reading" homework everynight! I wish that she had proof that she was actually LEARNING something at school!!!

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Ok I did state that I was not meaning that any of you had overscheduled your children... just thatthat is a societal trend right now... one that leads families running around like crazy with no time from quality time or homework. I did not mean to say that you did and I thought I had indicated that, but I did not mean it to offend.

I also indicated that those more fun things.. or more relaxed things do involve learning (like your walks). I totally agree with you that they do. I just think they hold value in both the home and school situation.

I think there is always going to be two sides to every coin. There are going to pros and cons to homework just as any other situation. I was just trying to state why there are some pros. While we may not all lovbe homework or have found memories of it I still believe that we can shed a positive light on it and help our children to develop good study habits while also getting the chance to be a part of their education... that's all. I can agree with you that it sucks at times... I am just choosing to try to find the silver lining to it, kwim??
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

We were all homeschooled (5 kids) for most of our schooling lives. My brother and I went back for the last 2 years of highschool and despite NEVER having "homework" (school in the evening) we coped ok with the homework and project changes highschool brought. Neither of us seemed to need conditioning from an early age on our capability to complete homework.

My mother tried to send my 2 middle siblings to private school when they were in grade one and three and they were totally overwhelmed with homework! They were given projects well beyond their age level and when my mom talked to the teacher she just suggested that my mother needed to "help" (meaning complete on her own) the parts of the projects or homework the kids weren't able to do yet and that that is what the other parents were doing. In the end she pulled them after 6 months because of the stress to the entire family over the homework issue. That example being said, that was one school and one teacher, sounds like everyone has different experiences on this issue.

In our house my parents strongly believe that family time is just as important as education, and like other posters mentioned, it IS educational. You read together, talk together, cook together and play together.

I am totally going to homeschool our kids so that we can get the perfect balance for our family of school, extra curricular, family and friends time and not be dictated by someone else's ideas or schedule. And I have a few other reasons...

But I think if my child was in school and I was frustrated with the amount of homework I would talk to the teacher and possibly the principal and set your own limits of how much time you and your child will spend a night on homework- just making sure that the teacher knows it's your choice, not your childs. Would that work?

My children (5and 9) do homework every single night (even in the summer). We have made it part of our family time together doing anything from work sheets to family group projects. We also make regular library visits together. My children have never complained about this as it has always been a part of their lives and they are very proud of their accomplishments. They do not get a sticker or a star but do love the extra high five and me telling them how proud I am of them. Homework has taught them organizational skills as well as proper work ethics. With that being said they also have time each night to just be a kid, to play or ride a bike etc. And yes I also work full time. Our day is usually:
    home at 4
    4-430 snack/unwind
    430-5 homework
    5-530 make dinner/kids play outside
    530-6 diner
    6-7 play as a family
    7-730 bath/shower/snack
    730-8 reading with youngest and then she goes to bed
    8-830 reading with oldest and then he goes to bed
    830-930 I clean up and prep for the next day and then it is off to bed for me!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2kids&adog View Post
    7-730 bath/shower/snack
    How on earth do you pack bath and snack for 2 kids into a half-hour? It takes me that long just to rangle them both up and get them in the tub! LOL

Back to the subject...
    I think we need to be involved in all that our child is learning. Doing homework with them enables us to see what they are being taught, to show our interest so they see we think the work they are doing is important, and to help teach them good study habits. Looking at pps, I think some teachers are definitely giving too much homework, but I don't think 15 mins. a night is unreasonable.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I feel like maybe I come from a biased standpoint. I was in an enriched educational environment, where I had to complete an entire research project, from start to end, each and every month, PLUS the regular curriculum, and class projects, from grade five on.

My daughter had a research project to do in grade two. I sat down with her and showed her HOW to do research, how to figure out what information is relevant/important and how to take research notes. We worked out a timetable and she did a certain amount every single night, then I helped her formulate a rough draft and she wrote out the final item with a few days to spare.

I DO think this level of a project was well beyond expectations a grade 2 student should be able to achieve, and I also know that most of the parents were appalled that their children had to do such an in-depth project, and did the work for them. I had the background, so I coached my daughter through it and she basically did it on her own.

All told, it didn't seem to affect/bother her one way or the other, and I didn't think it was that horrible of a thing for her to have to do and organize. It taught her how to do things in steps, reach a deadline, and be responsible for her own work. She does her homework the instant she walks in from school, and is not allowed to do anything else until her homework is done. I found homework and study time to be great "me" time in my solitude in my room, with my music. My parents were too involved, and would over-suggest and over-step the boundaries of coaching and almost do my homework for me, when it wasn't necessary. They took every single freaking thing to be a "teaching" moment and made me annoyed and more seclusionary.

If you truly believe the teacher is making too high of expectations for the level of the children in that grade/age, then take the concerns to the teacher. They're people too, and sometimes (shock!) mothers! Work out a plan/compromise.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    It taught her how to do things in steps, reach a deadline, and be responsible for her own work.
    I sure wish someone had taught me that at a younger age...I had a heck of a time adding 'time management' to my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    If you truly believe the teacher is making too high of expectations for the level of the children in that grade/age, then take the concerns to the teacher. They're people too, and sometimes (shock!) mothers! Work out a plan/compromise.
    So true! I set up a meeting with my son's teacher a few weeks ago to discuss some problems he was having, and it turned out her son had the same types of issues when he was that age. So now she and I can relate better, and she has a better idea on how to help my ds in the classroom!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12