Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Default Help me find a present for a 9-year-old girl! (Positive female role model?)

My friend's DD is turning 9 years old. She's very "girly" and she has some reading troubles. I'd like to find something to get her reading that isn't too daunting and isn't too boring. Any book suggestions? Or are there any comic books that might appeal to her? Also, she loves videogames, so I was wondering if there are any that might help with reading, although I don't know if they have anything advanced enough for a 9-year-old in grade 3? Or are there any board games with a similar idea?

I'd *really* like something with a strong female lead.

TIA!
    Last edited by mamabear; 03-19-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Banned

MY daughter Makayla was not interested in reading until about grade 3 when we introduced the Animal Ark books to her .. They are great they also come in Animal Ark Pet ( easier to read) I would suggest going to Chapters and getting her a couple. I know Makayla whizzed through them and has been reading ever since. Good Luck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    to counteract the influence of her mother .

TIA!
    Wow. How incredibly insulting. I'm glad I'm not related, you might want to counteract my influence too!
    Last edited by mum_of_four; 10-10-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Deleted years later. LOL
    Last edited by mamabear; 03-19-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Expert Forum User

Exclamation

If it's a situation where you are worried about neglect/harm of the child, maybe you should be consulting CAS???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Yes, it was intended to be very insulting. You don't need to be glad you're not related to me; you need to be glad you've never met my cousin. She can't afford a b-day gift for her DD b/c she spent all her $$ on her new tattoo. She regularly lies about her ex-DH - her DD's father - right in front of her, actually accusing him of burning their house down, and of course she lies about just about everything else too. She makes fun of, and fights with her DD's teachers and refuses to read with her b/c apparently that's the teacher's job. She gets drunk in front of her DD. She makes fun of her, and everyone else. She is overall a really hateful person and a horrible female role model. Her DD is already starting to tell lies and imitates her mother in other ways (like trying to act sexy and manipulate boys into doing things, which she then brags about to me).

It's a really sad situation. And I really hate her mother for doing this to her. And I don't throw around the word "hate" unless I really mean it.

So I'm looking for some positive female role models. I sure hope that's okay with you.
    Well obviously I didn't know all of that. I thought you meant counteract as in "her mother is buying her girly stuff and I don't approve". I apologize.

Thank you T2MK, I'll check those out.
    Last edited by mamabear; 03-19-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Well obviously I didn't know all of that. I thought you meant counteract as in "her mother is buying her girly stuff and I don't approve". I apologize.
    Thanks. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that part at all if I wasn't going to clarify. Sorry for snapping at you. I just get really worked up about this whole situation.

FTR, the reason I hate Bratz dolls isn't that they're girly; it's that I read the back of the box on one and was totally horrified at what it said. (It was a sports one and it said "it's not just about winning, it's about looking good while you do it" or something to that effect.) Uck.

Polly

knitting / crochet stuff - there are some good books with illustrations for really cool projects, plus funky needles and yarn to start her off?