Banned

Default If you have PCOS......

How were you diagnosed and by whom?!

What tests did you have to take?!

Expert Forum User

I have PCOS. I have had the symptoms for 10-15 years, however never knew that PCOS existed until I saw a TV program about it - things just clicked. I most all of the symptoms except infertility.

I was diagnosed by my regular OB about a year ago through a blood test. However, he put me on a pill that really didn't work for me. Turns out he didn't do my blood tests at the correct “time of the month“. So I got a 2nd opinion.

So I went to an endicrinologist at UH who is a ob-gyn as well. She works in the fertility unit, and is one of the best in the Province for PCOS issues. She told me that unless you're tested on the 3rd day of bleeding for hormone levels, the results will not be as accurate as they should be. She switched me immediately to another pill and it is much better.
    Last edited by Sunrise; 04-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Banned

Thats great info. I just dont want to take any pills.....its a struggle to keep this under control sometimes.

My ND has been of help to me, but still - I guess maybe this isnt curable as much as its just manageable! I just cant make myself believe that for some reason - I want to find something to balance this out and `fix`it forever. Frustrating.

Expert Forum User

They reason why they put you on the pill is to help with shedding of your uterine wall. with PCOS your body doesnt shedd the wall correctly because of the cists.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had blood taken beofre my period, and then on the 3rd day of the period (period was forced by meds) I also had an US done.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was diagnosed via ultrasound (looking for the classic 'string of pearls' on the ovaries which I had), and blood tests that revealed insulin resistance. They also tested for excess androgens which I didn't have. Can't remember what all else they tested for.

Initially they put me on the Pill, which is just to make sure the endometrial lining is shed regularly to prevent cancer. It doesn't address symptoms at all.

Then I got on Metformin, a diabetes drug, which did help me both lose weight and ovulate regularly. I got pg with M that way and stayed on the drug thru my pregnancy as there is data to show it significantly reduces miscarriage risk in the first trimester, and GD risk after that.

In 2006 I started eating right, and between that and it seems like my body was 'reset' or something by being pg, my periods became regular for the first time in my life and they have stayed that way thank gawd. I got pg with Z without drugs and didn't use Met thru the pregnancy either.

To get assessed/treated I would go to the Women's Health clinic if it is still open, as they know PCOS, and/or a Reproductive Endochrinologist.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Oh man, I think I should be tested for this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    Oh man, I think I should be tested for this.
    If you think you have it, thankfully it's easy to test for, and fairly easy to treat. That being said, I would get treated/diagnosed by someone who deals specifically with PCOS and not just a Ob-gyn. In my case, my ob-gyn prescribed me a pill that actually didn't treat PCOS (Yaz) and it just messed me up.

I wish that I had known about it years ago. I was sort of annoyed with my Dr's - because I always asked them “why don't I have regular periods“ and they never once even mentioned PCOS to me... despite the fact that I had other very obvious symptoms.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!