Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default What's it like living in the GTA??

Any BTDT experiences or just random thoughts/opinions would be great. I'm getting closer to being done school and am actually applying for jobs!! I'm totally freaking out. There is a job posting at York University that sounds awesome and another in downtown Toronto. I know prices of um...everything pretty much, is more expensive. Plus it would involve selling our house and finding a new daycare The thought of all that stresses me out. But anyway, pros or cons - let me have it!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well have I got the solution for you!
    Move to Hamilton, hire me for your childcare provider, commute to York or downtown, and pay less rent or a lower mortgage than you would in the GTA
    There, solved
    You are very welcome.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Um, it's awesome?

Yes more expensive. Daycare you want to get on the waitlists asap.

But oh the culture is so amazing! And so many things to do that are interesting. I love TO.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Well have I got the solution for you!
    Move to Hamilton, hire me for your childcare provider, commute to York or downtown, and pay less rent or a lower mortgage than you would in the GTA
    There, solved
    You are very welcome.
    *ahem* move over, missy

I live in the GTA---I'm just east of Toronto. Aside from the fact that I do miss London and I have lost my buffer zone from my family , I really do like it. York Region is very nice but very pricey. We'd never be able to afford to live *in* Toronto, but it's not bad this way. I'm about 40 minutes drive from downtown TO (not in rush hour though).

We like being able to go into the city whenever....everything is very accessible and it's a short drive. DH doesn't care so much, but I like it. And yes, there are definitely more job opportunities (don't know what field you'll be looking in?)

I grew up in this area and it's really built up in the last 10 years or so. Everything is very accessible and there's still lots of undeveloped country/farmland when you get away from the 401 corridor.

It was a big price jump for us when we bought our house here compared to the prices in London. That was 4 years ago now and I think the gap has become smaller in that time.

Allie was supposed to move here, but she bailed (i'm just teasing, allie )
    Last edited by Indigo74; 04-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Zoo

I miss Toronto so much. But the house I am selling for 150k here would be like $700k there. So I will continue to love it from afar...

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    I miss Toronto so much. But the house I am selling for 150k here would be like $700k there. So I will continue to love it from afar...
    That's the ouch part We'd never be able to live *in* toronto. Not in the field we work in! DH wouldn't want to anyway. So we have friends there instead. LOL

I honestly don't know how most people afford to live right in the city..??

ETA: P.S. Can't y'all come to Toronto for a girls night or something???
    Last edited by Indigo74; 04-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Indigo I am sorry I won't be closer to you But living there only gave him the option of working in TO.
    Hamilton gives him the option of Hamilton (with no commute aside from like, ten minutes) or TO, if Hamilton lays off.Sigh. It was hard, but I had to put the welfare of my family before my fun and exciting (so I imagined anyway) time hanging out with you.

Sorry OP.
    Back on track.
    I found if you're looking to rent, you have to realllly research stuff. I found Oshawa really affordable, evne parts of Milton and stuff. But then I found Scarborough, super duper cheap to rent!!! and found out why...apparently, alsy super dangerous, or so I was told time and again.
    So things like this, asking for advice etc, are great.
    And for sure, scope out the areas and stuff before you actually say yes to a job.
    We didn't in a city as small as Windsor even, and made a very very expensive mistake. I'd hate to see you do the same.

I kind of see Toronto area as everything you see elsewhere: but exagerrated. So yes, more crime. But more diversity! More fun things to do! More stores! more transit options! Yes, more pollution. But, more resources! etc etc.
    Tends to happen when you have a population like that, I think.
    Good luck
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo74 View Post
    That's the ouch part We'd never be able to live *in* toronto. Not in the field we work in! DH wouldn't want to anyway. So we have friends there instead. LOL

I honestly don't know how most people afford to live right in the city..??
    We discuss this regularly! How in the world do people who work in normal everyday jobs, like say Walmart or Tim Horton's, afford to live in Toronto? Surely they dont' commute from outside Toronto, to work there? But it's so expensive to live there! It confuses us.
    I've asked a few people and they said no, it's not like out west where you make a lot more for those jobs, so you can afford the higher rents etc. Apparently it's not like that. (Example, I've heard you can make $14-$18 an hour in Timmies in Alberta, so a rent of double what it is here, is not as unattainable)
    How DOES it work?! Lots and lots of roomates?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

You do make a bit more in TO than outside of it. But most people at least that I know, don't own some big house. Most people own a condo, or maybe a small house, or they rent an apartment. Ppl who want to buy and want space leave the city, unless they are rich. But with an urban lifestyle everything is right at your door so you don't need the space that ppl here are accustomed to.

TO is home to many many low income families. It is definitely possible to live there without being wealthy.

Hubby lived in vaughan...I hated it when i spent weekends with him.

i am not a big city type girl though.

my close friend lived in north york..i think she liked it (but she had a well paying job and no kids)

oh and i use to live in oshawa and didn't like it at all.
    Last edited by Ivveyy; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Um, it's awesome?

Yes more expensive. Daycare you want to get on the waitlists asap.

But oh the culture is so amazing! And so many things to do that are interesting. I love TO.
    So should I be calling daycares and just getting on the wait list even though I dunno what will become of anything? I'm so confused! I guess if I had to decline the spot that wouldn't be the end of the world, right?
    My SIL lives in Oshawa and they really like it there. They are encouraging us to move somewhere in the Pickering/Ajax/Whitby/Oshawa area.
    How far is Hamilton from TO? I didn't think it was like commuting type close? Then again I don't really know anything which is why I needed this thread!
    Yes I love visiting TO and there are so many things to do there. I need consider the differences b/w living there and visiting though - very different!
    I'm just finishing my MLIS so I'm looking for work in Government/Corporate/Academic libraries or information/research type stuff.

I would call some daycares and get a feel for what the waitlist is like, yeah.

Hamilton is an hour from TO. It is an amazing city in its own right. I wouldn't want to commute tho. The commute to and from Toronto is brutal, in every direction.

Thing too is that like, you don't need a backyard in TO because you have the park. And if you want to live near an interesting neighbourhood, often the 'cool' ones are expensive. But always a block or two over there is an area that is lower income that the rich ppl avoid. Nothing in TO is really *scary* IME so if you don't mind a little grunge, youre golden. Rent can be much cheaper. I lived for 3 years at the edge of Parkdale, within walking distance to Cabbagetown, Yonge St., the gaybourhood. I also lived two blocks from the gaybourhood at Wellesley and Sherbourne.

Living there rocks. I would love to bring my kids up there. They do need their wits about them more on the street (M is used to taking up the whole sidewalk and not looking for as many oncoming things as you need to in TO). And they experience obviously crazy or high people which M is not used to.

There are amazing social movements going on there. The queer community is awesome, biggest in Canada, lots of interesting things going on there. Dufferin Grove Park has just this incredible vibe with great playground equipment, a huge sandhill, farmers market, pizza cooked in an on site pizza oven. Lots of different ethnic communities with great food and stuff to do. Kensington Market with its Pedestrian Sundays....

*sigh*

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo74 View Post
    *ahem* move over, missy

I live in the GTA---I'm just east of Toronto. Aside from the fact that I do miss London and I have lost my buffer zone from my family , I really do like it. York Region is very nice but very pricey. We'd never be able to afford to live *in* Toronto, but it's not bad this way. I'm about 40 minutes drive from downtown TO (not in rush hour though).

We like being able to go into the city whenever....everything is very accessible and it's a short drive. DH doesn't care so much, but I like it. And yes, there are definitely more job opportunities (don't know what field you'll be looking in?)

I grew up in this area and it's really built up in the last 10 years or so. Everything is very accessible and there's still lots of undeveloped country/farmland when you get away from the 401 corridor.

It was a big price jump for us when we bought our house here compared to the prices in London. That was 4 years ago now and I think the gap has become smaller in that time.

Allie was supposed to move here, but she bailed (i'm just teasing, allie )
    Ditto - I live just a wee bit farther than Indigo, in Bowmanville.

You can commute from Durham (where your sister mentioned) but just keep in mind that it's an extra hour to hour and a half each way depending on where you work, if you drive or take the train etc. Take the commuting cost into consideration as well (i.e. monthly pass for Go Train, gas/parking for car etc). Just a thought! If you are thinking Durham, each city has their own property tax rates and it made a big difference to our decision of where to move (Oshawa is the highest out of the cities out here right now I think). And typically, the cost of houses increase as you get closer to TO (so Bowmanville would be slightly cheaper than Oshawa, which would be slightly cheaper than Pickering *typically*
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

its WAY more expensive but at the same time if you take your time and use the TTC and shop in Kensington market it can kinda balance out.

Expert Forum User

GTA is so different depending where you are. You could live in richmond hill which is really nice and almost small town mentality.. or you could live right down town TO and thats like the opposite end of the spectrum. What kind of living conditions would you most like to surround yourself with...?
    XO
    Jessica

Independant Passion Party Consultant
    Join my group on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast