Expert Forum User

Default Oh, how they learn.

So, once upon a time when Miss A was in JK, she came to me almost in tears saying "Mommy, they won't play with me". That was the beginning of teaching Miss A and her classmates that she's no different from them in the sense she still likes to play and have fun. She likes to be included. This has done wonders for her self-esteem and her self-worth and her communication skills. Not to mention what it's done for all of us as a family. Fast forward to this morning. I let the boy and his friend play Mario but told the girls they had to watch for now. They could play later when their brother wasn't around to pester them. So, Miss A in her infinite wisdom and memories, had a hissy fit. I redirected her by asking her to help me clean up breakfast. I asked her to put the syrup away for me. She knows where it goes. She proceeded to continue her hissy fit and try to put the syrup in upside down. Asked her nicely to put it in properly, bottom side first. Well, that was it. She stopped listening. She got a smack on the bum (not hard, just to redirect the fit) and ordered up to her room. A few mins later (any longer then 5 mins for her and she forgets why she's in trouble in the first place) and asked why she got put upstairs. Her answer? "No one will play with me". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I reiterate, again, why she has to wait and that she got in trouble for not using her listening ears and putting the syrup upside down. A mess that she would have to clean up on her own if it spilled.
    That is my Down Syndrome daughter. She has learned the fine art of sympathy..... in her world.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

What a smart cookie :P She's beautiful. Thank you for sharing this story

It's funny what they can retain and bring out to show you at the most unsuspected time.

Expert Forum User

They sure catch on quick don't they.