Thread: Low placenta

Default Low placenta

I just found out today that I have a low placenta. I am 19 weeks and am a little worried about it. I had an US done last week at 18 weeks and my Midwife called me this Wednesday to let me know that I need to go for another US, because they couldn't get clear enough pictures of the heart, lips and nose. So that being said, freaked me out. This is my first baby and I just want everything to go smoothly.

Has anyone had a low placenta early on? If so, did it move? Should I be this worried about it?

Expert Forum User

I had the exact same thing. I had a low lying placenta and had to have an ultrasound at around 30 weeks to see if it had moved up. Sure enough it did. I think this is a very common issue. I wouldn't stress about it. I also had to go back for an additional ultrasound because they couldn't get a good view of some of the baby's parts either. Everything came out fine. That too is very common.
    Don't stress about it. It's not good for you or the baby. Everything will be just fine!

Erica

Expert Forum User

I had it too... moved up no problem. Try not to worry... and congratulations!

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

Me too....along with a bilion other things....it moved and Robbie is healthy adn perfect

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

19 isn't as easy to see on an ultrasound as 20 or 22 (ultrasound technician informed me of this). They will check again to see if the placenta has moved, which it normally does. Congrats and take each day as it comes!

Expert Forum User

I had a low placenta as well and it moved...they also thought on the first ultrasound that my daughter had a cleft lip because they couldn't view the lips and nose properly...had a better quality ultrasound done and she was just fine

Expert Forum User

I had 'Complete Placenta Previa'(Placenta completely covers the cervix) at my 20 week U/S. I went back at 28 weeks and it had completely moved out of the way.
    Low lying means that it's closer then they'd like to see it to your cervix.
    oh btw your placenta doesn't actually move, once it attaches to your uterus it stays put and it moves up when your uterus stretches as the baby grows. I hope this makes sense.
    I hope this helps.
    Jodi

I wouldn't worry too much. Like Jodi said - low lying isn't quite the same. I had a complete placenta previa that didn't "move". Yes, I ended up on bedrest and had ds early - but he's a healthy baby and it was worth it

Thanks for all the kind words ladies!! I feel much better reading all of those posts!! I didn't know that it was that common. Wow. When you don't know too much about it and aren't expecting it, it can make you crazy.