Default Question about GD testing

Has anyone every refused testing? I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm discovering that there is quite a lot of controversy over testing every pregnant woman for GD. I had an initial glucose test and the results came back just over the "normal" line. I eat a very low-refined sugar diet and feel like of course a very high glucose drink would spike my blood sugar! I have none of the risk factors associated with GD and my baby is right on track in size.

I'm thinking of refusing the 2hour glucose test. It causes me stress and there is little evidence that it marginal high blood sugar effects pregnancy at all.

Diagnostic Tests of the Third Trimester | mothering

Expert Forum User

It is your body = your choice. You don't have to participate in IPS testing or glucose testing if you don't want to. It is totally up to you. I have known a couple of women that didn't want GBS testing done either.

Expert Forum User

I'm currently on the fence with GD testing. I'll be talking to my MW about it at my next appointment. Last time I had it done quite late (34 weeks) as it was missed with my switch over from GP to OB.

The only reason I may do it is because I am overweight (BMI below 30 though) and I have gained a bit more weight with this pregnancy then with my last. I would personally be shocked if I did have an issue though consider how small my first was.

Expert Forum User

You don't have to take it. With DD my midwife said that it was an optional test and was up to me whether I did it or not. I did do it but don't think I will do it with the next.

Expert Forum User

I know a lot of people that don't have it done, and one person that like you tested borderline and she didn't have it re-tested (against her OB's will).
    I've had it done, including a 2 hours test, but that is because I had hypo with my first so my sugars have always had extra testing done now.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I didnt want to do it..but my BFF and my midiwfe strongly ecouraged me to, so i gave in and did it.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

What is the benefit of NOT doing it? I have never heard anyone saying they chose not to before.......just curious.

Banned

I was borderline with my 1 hour test. I also failed the 2 hour test, barely. I was in the grey area between having Gestational Diabetes and normal blood sugar. I still had to see the dietician at the Diabetes Clinic.

I test my blood sugar 4 times a day now. The first day I had the monitor I had a single bowl of Oatmeal Crisp with milk. My blood sugar went to 10.8. Normal is 7.7 and under. After the 2 hour glucose test, my blood sugar was only 10.3. So it actually went higher with just a bowl of cereal.

I was going to refuse the 2 hour test because I was JUST over the cutoff. But am really glad I did it. Between 36-40 weeks is when the baby puts on most of their fat, so that's the most important time to have everything under control.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    What is the benefit of NOT doing it? I have never heard anyone saying they chose not to before.......just curious.
    For me? Saving an hour of my time. Sitting around in the lab waiting room for an hour isn't that much fun. I actually don't find the orange drink that bad...

I also get faint often when I have my blood drawn, which means DH would need to go with me. Then we'd need to arrange childcare for my daughter or we'd both need to take the hour of work to do it or try and amuse a 2.5 year old in the lab waiting room for an hour or so.
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 04-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.