Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Digital Home Security - Telemarketing

Grrrr......

Ok, I got a call last week from someone from this company (it shows up as 'Ontario' on the call display so I stupidly thought it might NOT be a telemarketer ) and ended up hanging up on her, really really angry.

Her: Blah blah blah free home security system...
    Zoo: Thanks very much for calling, but I'm not interested in a security system.
    Her: Oh, but there's no fee or obligation (hah!) so what time next week can I set up an appointment that's convenient for you.
    Zoo: No time would be convenient, thanks. I'm 100% NOT interested in your product, have a great evening.

I'm about to hang up...this is how 99% of the calls I receive from telemarketers go! I've been nice, they've been disappointed but civil, and we all go about our day.

Not so that day.

Her: But you don't understand. This is a FREE offer, and you'll only have to pay the monthly charges after the free installation. (she's sounding dangerously condescending, as if I am a child she is explaining it to)
    Zoo: Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. I'm not interested, thank you for your time and goodnight.

Done, right? NOPE.

Her: You can't be serious. Where else are you going to get an offer like this? (Downright rude now.)
    Zoo: How about every other alarm company in the province when THEY call me up every couple of months? (eyeball twitching just a teeny bit here - I'm more shocked than anything though) Now again, I will say good night to you.
    Her: As if! (pardon? AS IF???) Listen to me, all we need to do is book this appointment, you're under no obligation, I can't believe you won't even take the time to...

EXCUSE ME? She can't believe *I* won't...HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE HERE!

Zoo: (one eyebrow pressing against my hairline and jaw grinding) No, no, no. YOU listen to ME. I have been polite. I have been trying to end this call graciously, but I have reached the end of my patience, here. I am NOT interested in your product, I am NOT interested in continuing this conversation, and do NOT call my home again.

Unfortunately, it's not as rewarding to press "end" as it is to slam down one of those old rotary phones, but hey.

Anyway, you'd think she'd put me in the 'Do Not Call -- Extremely *****y' file, right?

NOPE.

I've had it come up on the call display a few times since then and haven't answered. This morning, though, I was just bored enough to pick up.

Long story short (wayyyyy too late for that eh? ) it was a different rep, who said I had to speak to his manager (AGAIN, PARDON???? ) in order to be taken off the call list.

So, I gave the reader's digest version to the manager and told her if they ever called my house again I'd be filing a complaint.

She was all apologetic and didn't question with WHOM I'd file a complaint, which is lucky because off the top of my head I'm not sure.

Would that be CRTC?

Anyway, have they called you and been obnoxious? I'm interested!

Zoo

Oh, and definition of irony?

I GOT ANOTHER EFFING TELEMARETING CALL WHILE I WAS TYPING THAT POST!!!!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Expert Forum User

I'm with you Zoo on this one. Being in the home all day long, I swear minimum of 5 per day selling everything, but those 'let me book you an apointment' ones are pushy! As of late, I've been getting calls form '604' area code (Vancouver) asking to complete a quick survey on 'shopping habits'. I tell them I'm broke and don't shop. Good bye.

Tic, tic, tic........

Default nothing

The most pushy one I had recently was for a water testing system or something along those lines..It tookme about 10 minutes to realize that they were selling me something and not from the city. I figured this out only after ASKING them who do you work for and what are you trying to sell me...

I initially had said fine test my water blah blah.. then when they asked a good time "for me and my husband to be home" I knew right away it was one of those ultra pushy.."if you don't buy my product you're slime" types..so I quickly hung up and that was that..t

luckily tough britney usually cries as soon as I put her down so to get off the phone I just sit her on the floor..oops gotta run this isn't a good time, then click!!
    Erica

Mom to Evan and Britney

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes

Zoo

I love how they get high & mighty.

Nothing will set me off quite like implying that I don't have my family's best interests at heart. Then I tear you a new one, Zoo-style.

Mump&Grump_Mom

My DH just puts the phone down and walks away from telemarketers...let them waste their time pitching to dead air.

Sarah

Zoo

See, I think they're just doing a job though, and I don't want to treat them disrespectfully. They're earning a legal, honest living, so I'm honestly quite gracious, if somewhat firm.

My typical response is a warm and bubbly "Thanks so much for your call but I'm really not interested -- have a terrific night though, BYE!" and hang up before they know what hits them. No need to make them feel bad for making a call.

It's when they're dishonest or rude or harrassing that I lose my cool a bit

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I hate it when their initial greeting is attached to a sales pitch, so I can't say, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested" right from the start, without interrupting them, which is rude. But I feel bad letting them go on and on when I'm not at all interested. I guess they get that a lot, though; it is their job. *Shrugs*
    Usually they are polite, and I feel bad for them, especially since they probably get hung up on and sworn at about a zillion times a day. I'd hate to be a telemarketer.

Mump&Grump_Mom

I don't know...It would suck to be a telemarketer, but I cannot stand harrassment over the phone..unending harrassment. I work from home so I am here all day long, and I get a ridiculous amount of telemarketing calls a day. I just wonder how effective that kind of sales method can possibly be.

I guess I have just run to the phone a few too many times with a screaming baby in my arms, or mid diaper change only to be on the receiving end of a sales pitch OR WORSE nobody there at all because they call to annoy 3 people at the same time...my sympathy is worn out.

Sarah

My Favourite is this is adt calling can we interest you in a system.... UMMMM I already have one through you , don't you know that???

or Window and door people, had them done?!!!
    or Carpet cleaners , I only have laminate floors!!!!
    or Furnace people, New furnace!!!!
    Or when they ask for Naz, my cat , that is now gone... we used to put him on.

Can't stand telemarketers.!!!!

Expert Forum User

I work for TDCT in collections and from my experiences it must really suck to be a telemarketer. As soon as I place a call and ask for someone by full name the person on the other end is usually rude and suspicious sounding "Who is this?!?!" I always explain I am calling from TDCT regarding a personal banking matter and this is not a solicitation call. Usually at that point the person becomes a little nicer. I totally get it - people are sick of hearing from telemarketers all the time and when they are downright aggressive and rude it certainly doesn't help their image. I just don't get it - obviously this person that called you, Zoo, has sales targets they need to meet - did they really think that using that technique was going to work?? Maybe bullying and coercion are successful sales techniques for some people - who knows?!?!

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Oh I also wanted to add you should alway stell someone who is calling regarding alarm systems that you already have one, as it may be a possible probe to see which homes in the neighborhood has one, targeted for break ins.

Mump&Grump_Mom

Oh I also wanted to add you should alway stell someone who is calling regarding alarm systems that you already have one, as it may be a possible probe to see which homes in the neighborhood has one, targeted for break ins.
    That is true too...soooo many telephone scams these days!

We moved here 2+ years ago and have had the same number since the move, and we have been getting collection calls for a "Mr.Gunther" constantly. I have explained 1000 times that we got this number and that we do not know Mr.Gunther, never met him, do NOT have a forwarding number for him. It is especially annoying because this person on the phone acts like I am lying about this guys where-abouts. I am at a loss as to how to convince these people that (DUH) he changed his number!

Sarah

Banned

If you go to the CRTC website you can put yourself on a do not call list, which lasts for a little bit and works for most telemarketers. As soon as you say put me on the do not call list, they are suposed to do it immediately, that is what I have heard. Anytime I've ever said it they say thank you and goodbye right away so I assume they have to.

I try to be nice too because my brother was a telemarketer for a while and I know they are told to keep babbling on so I try to be as nice as possible as I hang up on them when they keep going. The door to door people really irk me, especially the gas reduction ones who won't stop coming and treat me like an idiot!

Expert Forum User

I also have an Adt system. I love it when telemarketers call and ask if we have a security system and if it's monitored. What am I stupid? I am not going to tell you that. Two weeks ago, I remember it very clearly, I had 12 annoying calls in one day. Half the time I don't answer them and my husband gets mad cause he wants to tell them off and I just don't want to deal with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast