Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What do boys 6-7 wear for shorts?

I was trying to find shorts for ds and realised I have no clue what a kid his age wears for shorts.
    Everything I saw looked so bulky and uncomfortable, very long, etc.

Last year he wore shorts maybe twice, but I anticipate warmer summers in Hamilton. He's grown a lot but is still about the height of a four year old. However, he can wear 'bigger' clothes if he cinches it with a belt he's thin.
    So what does your boy wear at age six or seven?
    And any kind of advice on how to gauge the right length without actually making him try eveyr pair on?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I buy him cargo type shorts, he loves the plaid shorts. jean shorts. I find that most are kinda long.

Ok see I saw a lot of plaid ones, but thought that would be me dressing him like a little golfing man, instead of like a boy lol. Kind of like, y'know...putting a tie on your kid for photo day. But that's what's actually in?
    (I don't really care if he's instyle, just want him to dress normal ish. If he had some kind of inclination to do otherwise, great, but basically I am just afraid of dressing him like a toddler or something, because I have not bought shorts for him since he wore a 24m or 2t.)
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Costco has some cute 3-piece Calvin Klein sets. I just bought a couple sets for my son. He's 5. We go to the beach at least once a week, and tio the wading pool a couple times a week too. I'm buying DS a bunch of swim shorts. Again Costco and H&M have a nice selection. DS also likes the easy pull-on athletic shorts. I buy those from TCP and Gap during their sales.

Expert Forum User

Ive got some denim shorts, plaid (darker ones), camo cargo style and plain khaki type shorts for the boys for that age group.

Expert Forum User

I was hesitant to buy the plaid, but he loves them. Plus he is tall and skinny so they look really great on him.

Expert Forum User

My DS is 6 and tall but super skinny. He wears a size 7 slim in pants (with the adjustable waist pulled in at least 4 buttons on each side but he needs the length) but can pull off a size 5 in shorts. We look for longer shorts (knee length) that aren't too wide in the leg because otherwise his skinny little legs look like toothpicks. He loves cargo style shorts and likes plaids and camo prints.

DS will be 8 next week. I like the plaid and he definitively said “no“ to me last week. I have bought the cargo style denim shorts and he likes them to be above the knee. When it's really hot, he prefers the athletic light weight looser shorts.... I noted at age 4-5 that he looked too 'toddlerish' if he wore the shorts too short... DS likes the bathing suits that Bonnie Togs sells and likes to wear them as shorts sometimes as they are lightweight.

My guys wear longer shorts and my oldest likes the cargo ones best.
    Jan, mommy to Gabriel (3/12/02), Theo (1/5/04) & Jack (8/11/05)

thanks everyone! This really helps.
    It's hard sometimes, when your kid is still able to swap clothes with his two year old sister....to not dress him like a two year old! lol.
    Like I HATE Camouflauge but he loves it, so I've let it go and allow it because I figure well, camo doesn't equate to toddler imo, and I see it everywhere, so it's probably fine.
    I think I'm starting to worry a bit, about being around lots of kids in the city and the inevitable teasing that will happen one day.
    I'd like it if wasn't about his clothes, or at least if it is, if his clothes are ones he likes then he'll do better. Like when occasionally someone would say to him “That is for babies!“ about a character he wore - he'd say “Well, I'm not a baby and I like it, so I guess it isn't!“ or something.

I'm babbling but point was, thanks.
    I wasn't sure what was 'normal' and didn't want to baby him too much! AND I hadn't thought of the wide leg/stick leg problem. He's definitely thin in the legs. FOR SURE. lol. It's almost comical how thin his legs are, we often marvel they can support him since he never stops moving jumping running etc.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

oh you break my heart, I love Camo!! even for the girls I like the pink camo.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

My sons favourite is his jean shorts that sit below the knee. We have been in Florida for 2 weeks, so I know this for a fact. I think all of his shorts are below the knee. That is the style. He also likeshis plaid shorts. I baught some basketball style shorts from Old navy for casual days. He still picks the jean and cargo style more often, although to me the others look more comfy.??? He sometimes wears a bathing suit for shorts, especially if the day might include water play at some point. They are all below the knee. However, the mesh undies that are built in can chafe, and leaves his little groin red and sore in the bath, so I try not to do this very often At 7, my DS has a definite opinion about what his style is. he usually looks pretty good I must say, considering he likes to put it together.

Our new house will be near two splashpads ,so swim trunks might be a wise idea!

And Ivveyy - I dislike camo, yes, I'm sorry. But I also dislike anything that portrays the brand name, and live with Mr.American Eagle himself lol. It doesn't affect how I view you or yours.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

thankfully my son doesn't care what he wears. I pick out his clothes still lol I am lucky to get him to change his socks everyday

He wears about a size 6 depending on the style. He prefers the easy pull on shorts.

Tall, slim 5 year old here and most of his shorts hit around the knee too. Typically cargo(he loves pockets), or plaid. I don't like cargo on kids either but he does have a blue on blue pair that I reluctantly ok'd.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast