Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCOS

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default PCOS

Just got back from my appointment with my OB. my testerone levels are elevated, she believes i have PCOS. i got more blood work done today though.

wtf? from what I was reading, it can be due to obesity. So I have no issues, lost 96 lbs, start exercising and i get it?

can this still be related to my Bipolar meds, or is it a coincdience this all happened shortly after I started them?

i go back on the 20th to get the next blood results and to ask any questions i have about this (she gave me some reading info)

But basically from what i understand I may have trouble concieving my next one (if we so choose). ? i dont even know how to feel about all this
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Probably a coincidence. My sister has PCOS and she only had troubles conceiving the first child... 3 more came after with no problems

Expert Forum User

Skinny people can get PCOS as well (I am not one of those people). Weight loss can reverse the effects of PCOS in some instances. I have PCOS and have conceived 2 kids. I went on a drug called Metformin (a diabetic drug) and it worked well for me. PCOS has to do with how your liver processes sugars versus how a diabetics pancreas processes sugars. PCOS could be affecting you if you are plateauing in your weight loss too. It is worth investigating. I know I was worried when I was first diagnosed too. Hugs.
    Last edited by BabyLove; 03-30-2010 at 11:06 AM.

The lead up to PCOS is a process that goes on for years and so no matter where you are with your diet, lifestyle now..its a cumulation of where you have been through the years. The focus here is on stabilizing blood sugar, liver cleansing and hormonal balancing.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

I also think it's false when they say it's 'caused' by obesity. I think extra sensitivity to insulin/sugar in our diets causes PCOS and also makes it easier for us to become fat.

So, the doc told me that since I do want another in the nearish future that instead of taking BC pills, that i should take these pills (i think they are a form of BC) for 10 days every 3 months to get a period.

is that all i have to do, or is there more to it then that?

Medroxyprogesterone?

No that's not enough. It will make you get your period (breakthrough bleeding), but it doesn't address the underlying symptoms. They are doing that instead of birth control because you want to get pg. It's a bandaid.

Get a referral to a Reproductive Endochrinologist. They will do your bloodwork, including you want your fasting insuling/glucose ratio done. Not just a glucose test! That's a diabetes test and just because you don't have it doesn't mean you don't have insulin resistance. The fasting insulin/glucose ratio test will look for that. If you have it, you might consider taking Metformin, a diabetes drug, to regulate your insulin. It would also help with fertility if you are not ovulating regularly. An RE can run through all the possibilities, areas to check out, and treatment choices.

If you just get medroxyprogesterone all you are doing is making sure lack of a period doesn't give you cancer. Not the root of the problem kwim.
    Last edited by myrrah; 03-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.

ok thanks.
    i'm not sure whcih med it was, i'll ask at the next visit.

I know i'm being a wimp about this, but i am really upset. just seems like there is always somthing for my family to deal with..isnt having a speical needs child and a mental illness enough. jeez.

I'm quite sure it was medroxyprogesterone from the way they want you to take it, to induce a period every now and again. The old school treatment for PCOS was just to put women on birth control pills so that once/month they would menstruate. Alternatively medroxyprogesterone, for the same reason only obviously it doesn't prevent ovulation like the pill does. But if you are not menstruating monthly or thereabouts, it's safe to say you are likely not ovulating regularly or at all right now. Why? This is the issue. Often insulin issues are the underlying cause of PCOS, as wonky insulin disrupts hormonal processes. So you want a doc who will not just manage the symptom of no period but who will go beyond that to address the underlying issues.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Banned

I have PCOS and didn't have troubles conceiving at all.

Hopefully things gets sorted out for you..... =)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLove View Post
    Skinny people can get PCOS as well (I am not one of those people). Weight loss can reverse the effects of PCOS in some instances. I have PCOS and have conceived 2 kids. I went on a drug called Metformin (a diabetic drug) and it worked well for me. PCOS has to do with how your liver processes sugars versus how a diabetics pancreas processes sugars. PCOS could be affecting you if you are plateauing in your weight loss too. It is worth investigating. I know I was worried when I was first diagnosed too. Hugs.
    Hmm hmmm hmm wondering if that could be what is wrong with me as to the reason no matter my efforts (I have been exercising for an hour a day and eating so healthy it would make your head spin) and yet despite all of my efforts that damn scale ain't hardly budging! How do they test for PCOS and what are some of the various symptoms? Thanks!

Myrrah:
    You mention you have been on Metformin in the past to help get pregnant. Hypothetically speaking here, if a woman has PCOS and is put on these pills (not even to get pregnant necessarily but to regulate her sugar/insulin levels, etc is it a pill a person would need to be on for life or no? any clue? thanks! Just wondering if this is what the hell could be wrong with me as to the reason I cannot seem to lose weight (ppl cannot believe how healthy I eat, etc) and also wodnering if these pills would help me but wouldn't want to go on them if I didn't need to.
    Also, I assume not all women with PCOS don't go without a period each month? Can it actually be oin the heavier side? Lord knows mine is most months
    Thanks for any info you can provide me with.

2boysmom, it could be blood sugar imbalance, stress, thyroid, hormones..etc.or a combination of things. Difficult to say..may not always show in typical medical tests.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Too be honest 2boysmom, I don't know tons about it except for my particular symptoms. They can do an ultrasound to look for a 'classic string of pearls' on the ovaries (cysts), but not everyone has those. To check for insulin problems, you can do a fasting insulin/glucose ratio test. This is not a straight glucose test which looks for diabetes, but something different, you have to remember those words if you have an uninformed medical provider.

Metformin can assist weight loss in that it assists in the regulation of insulin, so it helps with carbohydrate cravings resulting from wonky insulin (a reason many ppl with PCOS tend toward obesity). Some people do have heavy periods, yes. Excess body hair due to excess androgens (male type hormones) is another symptom, tho I don't have that. Different people seem to have different combinations of symptoms.

There is a website and discussion forum with TONS of info here: SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources They have a link to a message board which IME used to be very active and has tons of info.

eta - Some ppl take Metformin for life, but often with the combination of Met and diet/exercise your insulin can start to self regulate better and the PCOS symptoms reduce or disappear. For me I had to take Met to conceive M, as I rarely ovulated, in fact my LMP was in Nov. and she was conceived end of January. I also took it thru my pregnancy as there is some data it reduces the increased risk of miscarriage faced by women with PCOS, and then may reduce risk of gestational diabetes.

However with diet change after she was born my symptoms have reduced significantly. I ovulate regularly now for the first time in my life, and conceived and carried Z with no medical intervention.
    Last edited by myrrah; 03-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks Myrrah and Casev5 for this info! I think I'd better make that Dr's appt soon and see what the heck is going on. This is so damn frustrating to say the least. Other ppl I know who started a lifestyle change say at the beginning of this year are down a good # of pounds and yet I have changed many things, eat healthy 99% of the time, have added in much more daily exercise and the scale has moved a whole darn 9lbs! Ridiculous!
    I have had that glucose test but only ever in pregnancy and I thin k perhaps once when a former Dr was checking just to make sure I wasn't diabetic. my levels were within the normal range. I have also used my MIL's glucometre at times and it seems to be fine as well, so who knows! It jsut annoys me that years ago DH and i both started on a low carb eating plan and on top of that only I was adding in exercise to the mix. He managed to lose 55lbs and has kept it off and here I sit pretty well at the same weight years later. I have been this same weight for about the past 10 years, so at least I am not gaining but I am sure not losing much either. Honestly for the way I live my life I don't think I should be overweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast