Thread: career

Talking career

at this stage in the game would you train for a new career and what direction would you go?

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

If I were to go back to school I would like to do the law clerk program at Fanshawe. I did my minor in university in criminal justice and public policy so would like to do something with that.

Expert Forum User

It is interesting that you posted this... I was thinking it would be neat to see how many people have switched careers since having children or if people are doing what they went to school for. I'll have to follow this post!

As for me... I went to University and got a Bachelor of Human Kinetics Degree. Then I worked as a kinesiologist for a few years and decided to stay home after my second child was born. Now I am taking Real Estate courses while I am home with my girls.

Expert Forum User

I am now a stay at home mom, that is my new career...lol I didn't goo to school and am a certified Occupational Therapist Assistant, but that was many years ago and I don't think I 'd be able to jump back in wehen I'm done raising my children.

I think that when my kids are school age, I would want a job with the same holidays as them, so maybe an EA or something?

I'm not going into a brand new career, per se, but before my daughter was born I was doing in-house communications. Now, I'm staying at home and trying to develop a freelance business. That way, I can still be home with the kiddies but also continue the work I enjoy and help pay some bills (hopefully!).

I think once I am completly done have kids and they are all in school I will be going to Collage or Universitty...depending on what job I choose. We will see but my goals are either midwife, doula or dental assitant...lets see what I think in 10 years?!

At this stage in my life going back to school is tha last thing on my mind. Hats off to those of you that manage with littl e ones at home. I love my job, I don't work in an office and I never have to take work home with me. For my personality that work best for me. It is hard to find a career that suits us. Some people don't ever figure out what they want to do. I say just do something that makes you happy and hopefully pays the bills. Don't ever settle for something you may not like.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Expert Forum User

One of the things I love most about nursing as a career choice, is that you can change jobs and get such variety if you desire. Doctors office, hospital, community, emerg, OR...you name it. You can change areas and get a fresh "new career" and keep things interesting if you should choose. Often all it takes is a course or two and some time to orientate to a new environment. Hahaha that being said, I have worked in the same place for 10 years, but I COULD move if I WANTED! hahaha. Just knowing you have options is refreshing. Hmmm, some days I wonder why I didn't choose teaching though. If I wasn't a nurse, I would like to teach primary/junior grades. ( and always have Christmas off.)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have a BA in Sociology from university and a Social Services Worker diploma from college. The closest I came to working in this field was years ago when I worked part time in various group homes for Community Living. I didn't mind the work at the time but it still was not exactly what I had trained and attended school to do. I haven't worked in the developmental services field for a # of years and don't think I could do so today. I just don't think I have as much patience as I used to (funny thing, considering I have 2 young childrten of my own!). I have also worked fulltime in a daycare centre (and hated that particular one, especially the owner! so I quit in Dec 2000). I ran my own home based daycare from 2001-2004. It was ok but don't think I'd do it again. I have been a stay at home mom since 2003 (and was home running daycare out of my home before I had kids for 3 years beforehand). I have now been out of the workforce for going on 7 years and don't know what I want to do when my kids are in school fulltime. The thought kind of scares and intimidates me! I don't really want to go back to post secondary and take something else but I haven't had much luck finding anything in my fields of study either. I am toying with the idea of taking some home staging/decorating type courses and possibly pursuing something in that line of work. It's something I've always had an interest in, so why not follow that path? even if it wasn't what I originally set out to do!
    I agree people should do what they have an interest in. Otherwise life will seem so boring and/or monotonous! I have never truly liked any jobs I have had in the past (actually I did enjoy working in some of the factories in the summertime as a summer student...I didn't have to take the job home with me, etc).
    Best of luck and go with your heart!

I have a BA in Psychology and Sociology and then went back to college and got my RPN (last year for doing it in the one full year). Maybe I would consider getting my RN, but I like business so I would probably do business courses if I had to do it over.

I took the easy way out...I went to medix and did the PSW

why.....you can't go wrong, theres always going to be "elderly" people or people with special needs

home care/ nursing homes

Flexable hours (which is important with having a family)

But now Im just a mom...lol
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

I decided while off on mat leave to take the real estate couse. It has been something I have always been interested in. I love being a real estate agent. I work from home and have a lot of flexibility with hours. It is a lot of evenings and weekends but I do get be with the kids quite a bit. Also on the evenings and weekends when I am working it is DH who is at home with the kids. We do have the kids in nursery school and JK which gives me that time to work throughout the week as well as a care

I have been lucky so far with finding clients but the hardest part of this profession is that I am the one that is solely responsible for finding my own clients. I don't think that I would've been able to make the change into this if it wasn't for the time I had on mat leave.

Expert Forum User

If I did go back to more post-sec, these are ideas that have floated around in my head for the past few years (BUT, I am pretty sure I won't be returning to more school. These are just "thoughts!").

Law school
    Paramedic (wierd, not sure why I am drawn to this)
    English degree (would love to work in editing or write)
    Occupational therapy.

How's that for the gamet!! The only thing I would MAYBE do IRL is the english route. I took some writing courses as electives in university that I loved..maybe I should just do that to keep my brain functioning!

i never liked school.
    and i had a career i liked.
    when i pinched my sciatic nerve it prevented me from continuing.
    (having to do restraints)
    i use to be a CYW.
    I worked CAS, Community living, community homes, and for the residents of the deaf and blind.

I have kicked around the idea od real estate too.
    I thought about PSW but with my sciatic nerve one unfortunate move and I could be off my feet again.

I want a change.
    I have a year to figure it out.

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity