Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default did they let you see the screen during your u/s

Recently i had an u/s of my thyroid and got to talking to the tech about all the memories the process brought back. We talked about how her job was equal parts wonderful and sad when scanning expecting mothers....and she said they don't let the parents see the screen. (This was the London X ray in Byron). I was really surprised.

I have had two kids, with all my care in Toronto, and with the first one, which was problematic, i had 15 ultrasounds. I was never kept from seeing the screen, though some techs made it easier than others.

Can you tell me whether you saw the screen at your 1st trim u/s and wether the tech talked with you? I understand that they have to leave diagnosis to the doctor, but this seems over the top.

Btw, i'm asking b/c i am pregnant with #3....
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I didn't with my first dating ultrasound, but with my ultrasound yesterday he showed me everything- start to finish and explained exactly what we were looking at/for.

and congrats!

Expert Forum User

Congrats!!
    I never got to see anything while they were looking for all the things they need to.. I did at the end and then they'd give me a little show of the baby..
    But with this one when I went to the ultrasound last week I got to see everything and the tech explained everything he was doing.. It was the best ultrasound I've had so far!

With both babies I had more than the usual number of u/s. During both pregnancies, I was shown the screen at the end of the 12 week u/s after they were done their measurements etc. Both times the tech let me hear the heart beat and pointed out position of the baby, where the head was etc LOL. Then at the remainder of the u/s I was shown the screen basically throughout.

can you ladies please tell me where you went for your u/s?
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

Congratulations. I saw the screen both times with dd, and with this prenancy, I've only been to a dating u/s, but the tech showed me the screen and the teeny tiny beating heart.

london xray on dundas

Sorry, I had most of them done in Sarnia, and one at the high risk clinic at St Joes, London.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    london xray on dundas
    Same here!

Banned

Congrats!

I am from Stratford and had my 7 wk and 12 wk at the hospital. They didn't let me see anything till the end. There was so much silence at both that after about 5 min I said “PLEASE, just tell me there is a healthy baby at least“. And they did, but then kept the screen hidden till the end.
    My 18 week and 20 week were in a clinic in Stratford and Kitchener and they let me watch the screen the whole time and talked me through the whole thing.

I can see how their job can be sad with expectant mothers. I found out at my 9 wk ultrasound my first pregnancy that the baby stopped developing. I was a mess, the tech just kept saying “Don't jump to conclusions until you talk to your doctor“. But it was pretty obvious there was no hope. I was bawling uncontrolably. Poor lady!

For all 3 pregnancies, u/s #1 and #2 were done by the tech with the screen away from me until they checked it all out and then brought in DH and showed us both the baby and all of the things they were able to show.

With DS, once the diagnosis was confirmed, they didn't bother turning the screen away. They didn't always turn it to me or anything, but they weren't concerned with hiding it. I mean, we already knew the bad stuff, right? Nothing to hide and run past the dr first anymore.

Actually, at his anatomy scan, the u/s tech showed us everything regarding the spine and said all was A-OK. Then the radiologist or whoever writes the report noticed from the images that all was not ok with his head, which is how they came to find the defect in his spine later.

After everything we went through with DS, I understand why they turn it away. It's not their job to interpret or explain to you what they see if they see something 'wrong'. And trust me, an u/s tech suddenly turning the screen away from you or moving the wand all of a sudden is not the sort of thing you want happening at your u/s. Better that you're in the dark until someone who is in the know can explain to you accurately what's going on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    After everything we went through with DS, I understand why they turn it away. It's not their job to interpret or explain to you what they see if they see something 'wrong'. And trust me, an u/s tech suddenly turning the screen away from you or moving the wand all of a sudden is not the sort of thing you want happening at your u/s. Better that you're in the dark until someone who is in the know can explain to you accurately what's going on.
    That's a good point. I guess it's the same reason why the 3D places do not want you to come until after you have received the results of the 20 week ultrasound.

Expert Forum User

My second pregnancy was through a fertility clinic and you see the entire u/s on a t.v. screen mounted on another wall. My first pregnancy the u/s were done at St. Joe's and I got to see the screen after they were done the diagnostic portion.

I had my first u/s's for both kids, in St.Thomas. All my us's for ds were there and a lot of mine for dd were in the dr's office in Windsor.Anyway, the screen was never kept from me.
    Actually, at first sometimes it was not facing me til I mentioned it, I think, but it never seemed secretive or anything. I did once have to wait for my dr. to get there as the tech was concerned about something, but it turned out being the crappy ob clinic in St.T they never did show, and my family doctor (the next day) was able to tell me what the problem was (which turned out to be nothing). However the tech did tell me enough for me to know it was not something life threatening, just a sign of something concerning.

Anywho, I liked the tech lady in St.T
    I had the same one all the time.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast