Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance?

Banned

Default Car Insurance?

I am freaking out.
    We just bought a van last week, dropped off the cheque for first and last months insurance to our agent. It was $275 a month (DH has a horrible record).
    We just got a bill from the insurance company that it is actually $310 per month and we need to get the difference for the first and last.
    I am freaking out, we could barely afford the $275, let alone $310. I just want to cry. I am pissed off because we priced out the insurance before we bought the van and should of been told the right amount.

Who should I call to get quotes? We had called another broker and were told we weren't going to find it much cheaper. Any suggestions?? I tried Kanetix.ca and the only one that came up was the same amount.

This sucks.

Expert Forum User

Did you sign any paperwork? Anything that binds you to this insurance company. I'd be pissed more then anything. I normally go online to look for brokers and then make phone calls from there. I know I can recommend State Farm, All state, Belairdirect, and May-McConville and one's I've dealt with personally. Good luck.. I'd be raising Holy Hell for being misled.

Expert Forum User

Try to get a multi discount with whomever you have your house insurance with. I use State Farm.

Try this site as well.
    http://www.myinsuranceshopper.ca/default.aspx

Good luck. Nobody needs those kind of surprises ever!
    Last edited by BabyLove; 03-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Expert Forum User

I use just renewed my insurance. I deal with PC Financial. Be sure to review the terms of your policy and cancel out any servises/coverages you do not need. I just did that. I took out the commute and reduced my bill by $20. My policy originally stated 10km commute to work... I am a stay-at-home mom.
    Last edited by Tanya-Mae; 03-15-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

belair direct is super cheap- but it takes like 21 days.

'We're with State Farm- probably not the cheapest- but the cheapest for our situation at the time we got them.

I use scotica bank it seemed to be really cheap maybe try some of the banks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    belair direct is super cheap- but it takes like 21 days.

'We're with State Farm- probably not the cheapest- but the cheapest for our situation at the time we got them.

Just got off the phone with Belair, they are $350 a month.

gah that sucks Kaisa

Keep calling around but beware you'll have to pay a cancellation fee if you cancel the current $310 policy. Unless you call your broker/company and explain that you can't afford that much and you don't want to accept it - maybe that would void any cancellation fee.

Good luck!
    Used to be momtoJ&T but that was too boring.

Expert Forum User

try johnson, try td melloche monnex, and I figured out that brokers aren't always cheaper. I'll private message you as well.

Expert Forum User

Depending on the policy terms you might have a window of time that you can cancell without penalty or change your terms to lower the premium. It's worth checking out. Some places have a 30day period... mind you these places were ones I had called for a quote and would potentially be contracting into a new policy rather than renewing a pre-existing one. As already stated, I deal with PC. Years ago they were by far the cheapest for me. My policy just came up on March 2nd and I got a severe case of sticker shock when they sent me my new policy. The premium went up from $140ish to $180ish. I had an at fault accident in 2007 that PC gave me partial forgiveness for. Horrified, I shopped around and learned there is a general 30% rate increase across the board this year. Belaire was comparable to PC for premium...a few dollars more. I chose to stick with PC and worked to lower my premium instead of starting fresh elsewhere.. primarily to build my customer loyalty. Removing the “commute“ did drop my rate by $20/mth.

Banned

TD or Intact - you can get quotes from both online. Or try a mutual, they are generally cheaper.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by momtoJ&T View Post
    Keep calling around but beware you'll have to pay a cancellation fee if you cancel the current $310 policy. Unless you call your broker/company and explain that you can't afford that much and you don't want to accept it - maybe that would void any cancellation fee.

Good luck!
    They said they won't charge me to cancel. They will only charge me for the days I used... Thank goodness! It will take a week or two to get the refund (we paid last months too).

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya-Mae View Post
    Depending on the policy terms you might have a window of time that you can cancell without penalty or change your terms to lower the premium. It's worth checking out. Some places have a 30day period... mind you these places were ones I had called for a quote and would potentially be contracting into a new policy rather than renewing a pre-existing one. As already stated, I deal with PC. Years ago they were by far the cheapest for me. My policy just came up on March 2nd and I got a severe case of sticker shock when they sent me my new policy. The premium went up from $140ish to $180ish. I had an at fault accident in 2007 that PC gave me partial forgiveness for. Horrified, I shopped around and learned there is a general 30% rate increase across the board this year. Belaire was comparable to PC for premium...a few dollars more. I chose to stick with PC and worked to lower my premium instead of starting fresh elsewhere.. primarily to build my customer loyalty. Removing the “commute“ did drop my rate by $20/mth.
    PC wouldn't give me a quote online, in my experience that means they will either not insure me or charge a whole lot. That's what happened with Belair.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC2008 View Post
    TD or Intact - you can get quotes from both online. Or try a mutual, they are generally cheaper.
    Mutual is who we were with for 10 years and they wouldn't renew us this year.

Expert Forum User

bah that sucks!!!!!!!! car ins sucks...

mine is very high (almost as high as when i started driving), after buying our crossover in aug... and i am a 9* driver and been insured for years and years lol...

Have you found somewhere yet?

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast