M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question Toddler bed and staying in it

When I move, I will not be bringing the crib. Nolan will go right into the toddler bed. Currently he is 20 months (almost 21) and when we move he will be 22 months.

I started last night I started trying him with a bed in his room. it started off as him getting out and trying to play with his brother. But Markus was under strict instructions to not play with his brother, and stay in his own bed.

So Nolan grew tired of Markus, and started playing with toys. Well eventually that was no longer fun, so he started trying to open the door, and crying.

I let him cry for about 15 minutes (I knew he was in no danger or harm, Markus was awake and in there)

So after 15 minutes I went back up and put him back in his bed, tucked him in, said goodnight, and left.

This continued for 2 hours. I finally caved and put him back in the crib, where he fell asleep within 5 minutes.

So is it hopeless? what do I do to encourage him to stay in his bed?

Expert Forum User

I have no suggestions as I will be doing the same thing in a few months because I will need our crib for the new baby! i'm going to keep my eye on this one to get tips now!!!!

Good luck!

Will he go to sleep better if you sit in there with him? You could start out staying til he goes to sleep then gradually leave as he gets used to going to sleep in there.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

We just moved DD into her toddler bed a couple weeks ago. The first nap time was a little tough, but bed time was not a problem. We did have a nightlight in there, and she would get up and play, but as soon as we took it out, she went right to sleep. She couldn't see, so she went to sleep. We also stood at the door, and listened for her getting out of bed. We stopped her before she got too far, which seemed to help.

Good luck! DD was A LOT easier to switch to the toddler bed then DS was. It took us MONTHS to get DS to go to sleep in his toddler bed. He had no toys in his room but still managed to stay awake for 2-3 hours after bedtime by just talking to himself, and walking around his room.
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Any chance he's just not ready for the bed?
    With mine neither climbed out of the crib. They were past two when they went to beds. We basically just decided we wanted to give i ta try. With dd I expected resistance, so I kept the crib assembled right there in case I needed it.
    If he likes his crib still, why not just use the crib?
    Maybe it's too soon?
    Or another option, what about maybe pushing the boys beds side by side. Would he stay in if Markus is right there, and allow them to talk or sing but no getting out of bed or being loud?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

M2M

See He doesn't like people laying in the bed with him, he just wants to play more, and he gets mean, smacking, pinching, hair pulling.

His room is pitch black, there is no night light. He has very few toys in there, so he emptied his dresser.

Not like in bed with him but bring a chair in then just keep putting him back in bed.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

DD didn't like her toddler bed at first, but we had no choice to do the switch early. She was climbing in and out of her crib at 15 months! We removed the dresser from her room, kept a few toys in there, and put blankets on the floor beside her bed. For the first 3 months, she slept on the blankets on the floor. Then one day on her own, she decided she liked her bed and that was the end of that.
    DS did the switch no problem, but he was 2.5 years old when we did the switch, and back then loved bedtime.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think you just need to be consistant. If he knows you'll put him back in the crib then he'll just keep acting up so you'll put him back there. If the crib isn't an option than you just have to do what you did, keep putting him back. It may take some time but eventually he'll stay in bed.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by jjsam78 View Post
    I think you just need to be consistant. If he knows you'll put him back in the crib then he'll just keep acting up so you'll put him back there. If the crib isn't an option than you just have to do what you did, keep putting him back. It may take some time but eventually he'll stay in bed.
    Technically I could take the crib with me, but I figured it was just a good time to get rid of it as well kwim?

then I am thinking, with the move he is going to have a new house, a new room, a new environment, maybe he will need his crib as something familiar?