Default What are all the rules at St. Joe's?

I know I'm only at 30 weeks but I'm beginning to think of how the birth will go... and I've been reading Ina May's book etc. and would like to know what firm rules st. Joe's might have.

For instance - do they prohibit food or drink during labour?

Time limit on delivery (so induce or c-section if not progressing fast enough)?

Make you lie on bed for pushing? Freedom to move around?

Control over temp in room? Lighting?

How long can you stay in tub for? Right up until crowning?

Tell me episiotimies are not the norm there please!

I do have a MW and will labour at home for as long as possible, but sometimes I wonder whether I ought to just deliver at home too? It's my first btw....

TIA!

Having delivered in a high risk situation with both my kids, I can't comment on the “rules“ during a low risk birth. I can, however, tell you that I never even heard the word episiotomy during either of my deliveries.

Expert Forum User

I thought if you had a midwife that they controlled the room unless a medical intervention was required. So you can work out how you want your delivery to go with them. I didn't think that the hospital staff interfered but I could be wrong.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLove View Post
    I thought if you had a midwife that they controlled the room unless a medical intervention was required. So you can work out how you want your delivery to go with them. I didn't think that the hospital staff interfered but I could be wrong.
    Yup, that's how it should be. I delievered DD at St. Joe's under OB care - but required an emergency c-section at 9.5-10cm dilation due to “not property detected“ fetal distress. Under OB care, I was fine to move around, encourage to eat in early labour, was free to drink beverages/popsicles even well into transition (but it all came back up). I didn't personally care about the room/lighting/music/etc - I just was uncomfortable and grumpy the whole time LOL. I needed constant fetal monitoring, so the tub was out for me.

I think generally they (MWs or OBs) don't like having ruptured membranes for more then 24hrs, so once you're getting close to that they are likely to suggest pitocin to get things moving. They had birthing bars/squatting bars on the bed, and were pretty okay with however I was comfortable and the nurses even suggested a few things too.

As long as no nurse or OB gets involved you will likely be able to do as you please. If they get involved (because of epidural, oxytocin, etc) then in my experince things change quite a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by gingybebe View Post
    For instance - do they prohibit food or drink during labour?
    Yes, they will only let you have clear fluids, you will have to seriously fight if you want anything else. (Get you husband on board, as you will be in no state to argue with them)

Time limit on delivery (so induce or c-section if not progressing fast enough)?
    Yes, if they don't like your progress they will add oxytocin and eventually section, but I think they give you a long time before they section for lack of progress.

Make you lie on bed for pushing? Freedom to move around?
    That hugely depends on whether you have an epidural. They definitely prefer you to be semi-reclined on the bed.

Control over temp in room? Lighting?
    I don't think so, but could be wrong.

How long can you stay in tub for? Right up until crowning?
    No idea, but if an OB is involved I highly doubt it.

Tell me episiotimies are not the norm there please!
    No, they are not the norm unless they are attempting a forceps delivery.

I do have a MW and will labour at home for as long as possible, but sometimes I wonder whether I ought to just deliver at home too? It's my first btw....
    TIA!
    Totally, homebirths are wonderful, my homebirth was sooo much better than my hospital birth. Plus a car ride in active labour is miserable.

IMO I would have this chat with your midwife. she'll be able to give you an orientation to saint joe's and to the birth experience you might expect with her - and you'll be able to clarify what you want/don't want.

I’m delivering at St Joe’s with a midwife but will labour at home for as long as I can. I agree with PP about having this talk with your midwife. She will have final say on what you can/can’t do unless intervention is required by hospital staff. Even then I was surprised with how much ‘intervention’ my m/w can do without my care being transferred to an OB.

I honestly can't remember if I had control of the lighting or heat in the room.. it was really the last thing on my mind. I was induced, so probably different since they thought there was meconium and so after around 2 hours or so of no contracting after they broke my water, I opted for the oxytocin.. but the nurse made it my choice. The nurse I felt was fantastic! once I got the oxy, then I wanted the epi.. and that's when I couldn't walk around anymore.. but I was able to sleep till fully dilated and push my baby out. The didn't do a episi. but I tore (DD has a big head hehe) oh and because of meconium tub was out ...
    Talk to your midwife, but make sure to be open to anything.. cause anything can happen!
    Good luck!!

"The past is history, the future a mystery but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present."