Thread: Polysporin?

McCulloch

Default Polysporin?

I had to take my belly button ring out today. I hit it with a book a week or so ago (not use to big belly!), and it bled a little by the top hole. I just washed it, but have been hitting it, and catching it ever since. I was hoping to keep it in, but it obvioulsy was not working. Upon taking it out, I noticed that it is all pink around the hole, and a little tender. I am not sure if I am allowed to use polysporin, does anyone know if this is safe to use?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would assume so. I have used it on my nipples for BFing (Safe for baby to eat)so it is probably fine
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I don't think it is good, I forget why but I got my belly pierced years ago and I think they told me not to use it while it was healing up. I personally would just put a bit of peroxide of alcohol on it to make sure it is not infected and let it heal up on it's own. I would call a tatoo/piercing shop just to be sure though.

McCulloch

When I got it pierced I was not able to use polysporin, but that was because it was a fresh piercing, I had to use Mecca Cream (which i still have) but this piercing is over 5 years old! I am sure it would be fine but I just like to be extra careful.. I am sure you all understand. I was going to call the tela health nurse, but I dont have the number..any help?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I'd definitely use the same stuff you used to clean it when it was new.

I would take a shot glass of salt water and tip it upside down on it...
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

mumtobelle

yeah, sea salt and water is all you'll need.

I love love love mecca cream, I've used it for my navel piercing any time it gets inflamed. I had to take it out when I was pg and I was able to put it back in afterwards, np. Take it out and leave it out for now you don't want to cause more discomfort than you already have! Also soak in a bath with epsom salts (might be hard to get that part of your belly in the water!! tee hee). It should soak in the epsom salts for twenty minutes for treatment. These were practices instructed to me at piercing and have worked since then any time I needed it.