Poll: Should school children stand for the national anthem

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Expert Forum User

POLLY ---- just wondering what grade your LO is in. I was thinking that if s/he was in an afternoon jk/sk class then they might not hear O Canada as it is played in the morning. What school are you referencing, public, catholic or private?

Polly

this is all very interesting and I am most impressed. I moved here from the UK three years ago and the national anthem is rarely played there - in fact, I am ashamed to admit that I don't think I know the words for the english national anthem. It is certainly never played in school, or never was in my years and my son's years of edcuation.

I have to admit to a pretty big goof though, I realise lookiing at this thread this morning that I must've forgotten to mention a crucial thing in my original post - it was the kids wandering about in the corridors, taking their shoes and coats off and going to the office that weren't standing or paying attention to the anthem. My son assures me that he does stand in class. And he says he knows nearly all the words now. Bless.

I'm so sorry if I've stirred up outrage (are there any emoticons this new site?) I wasn't precise enough in my original post. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Expert Forum User

No disrespect to any teachers on here, but I have met a few teachers in my short career that do not have control over the class which leaves the children doing what they want to. Unfortunately in this situation, it may be the case instead of religious beliefs. Again, just something else to think about.

ETA... nevermind, just read the post by OP.
    Last edited by Haley's Mum; 09-25-2007 at 07:25 AM.
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    this is all very interesting and I am most impressed. I moved here from the UK three years ago and the national anthem is rarely played there - in fact, I am ashamed to admit that I don't think I know the words for the english national anthem. It is certainly never played in school, or never was in my years and my son's years of edcuation.

I have to admit to a pretty big goof though, I realise lookiing at this thread this morning that I must've forgotten to mention a crucial thing in my original post - it was the kids wandering about in the corridors, taking their shoes and coats off and going to the office that weren't standing or paying attention to the anthem. My son assures me that he does stand in class. And he says he knows nearly all the words now. Bless.

I'm so sorry if I've stirred up outrage (are there any emoticons this new site?) I wasn't precise enough in my original post. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    Well things seem to have changed a bit since I was in school - we all had to be in our class when the bell went, and then the anthem came after that. There wouldn't be anyone in the halls at that point (except the people that have left the class so as not to stand for the anthem).

You're obviously not a footy fan, Polly! You'd defo know the anthem then!

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh! right, the footy! I think *I* know the english national anthem!

O-leee, o-lee ole o-leeeeee....

Oh dear. *runs and hides from the uk mamas*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    Oh! right, the footy! I think *I* know the english national anthem!

O-leee, o-lee ole o-leeeeee....

Oh dear. *runs and hides from the uk mamas*
    That's not exactly the anthem I had in mind, but I find that one preferable to that other fan favourite - "The Referee's a Wanker"

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    POLLY ---- just wondering what grade your LO is in. I was thinking that if s/he was in an afternoon jk/sk class then they might not hear O Canada as it is played in the morning. What school are you referencing, public, catholic or private?
    That's a good point. I worked in a Jk/SK where the sound system in that room was turned down low and many a time we would all be standing up straight, late, but it was still done.

clrar

I think that when the kids are in the class with the teacher they are standing, however when I see them in the hall while it is playing no one stops or stands.

Polly

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    You're obviously not a footy fan, Polly! You'd defo know the anthem then!
    lol

nope. ALthough I have heard of Zoo's version!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123