Poll: Should school children stand for the national anthem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Was wondering....did the teacher stand??

Expert Forum User

I haven't noticed if they even play O'Canada at my son's school...we've been late a few times and I've never heard it. I will have to ask.

At his school in BC, everyone stood. If you were in the hallway (parents, students and teachers alike) you stopped and stood quietly (or sang) while it played. No one was seated.

I think Ontario is more 'politically correct', so perhaps they don't want anyone to be singled out??
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I find it interesting that 39 people have voted and ALL 39 have voted yes you should stand. Not because I disagree... because I 100% agree.. but just simply because we are surely a diverse group of individuals from different backgrounds, yet we can all agree on this one piece of respect and support of the country we live in. I personally would be offened more by a school that taught my child to show such blantant disrespect for her country than by one that required her to participate in something so widely accepted .. not for it's religious parts, but for it's universal symbolism of patriotism and respect. Standing for the Canadian athem is not just a school age thing... it is a part of our society no matter rather it is at a sporting event, a rememberance ceremony... or any othe rtype of public gathering. I hold no judgement against those who can not or choose not to partake for religious reasons... but it is definately something I expect my child to be taught.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I stand for O canada and I also stand for The American Natonial Anthem (when it permits). I have a friend in the US Army serving in Iraq right now, and its out of respect to stand, remove your hats and sing the anthems...I AM A PROUD CANADIAN..and I am teacing my little boy to be the same....

Banned

I stand for whatever anthem is being played, it is a sign of respect for countries and their national anthem. We always had to stand when I was in school, and I remember when they took the lords prayer out, lords prayer and national anthem are totally different in my eyes.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

if my friends visiting from texas at dds school for the anthem anybody can and should

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think standing for the Canadian national Anthem( and any others) is just a sign of respect. I feel that if you live in our country then you should show respect to the countries custumes.

We attend many races in the US and always stand for the American National Anthem. We usually sing when they play o Canada. SOme of the race tracks dont' play O Canada and we just think that is so wrong as there are usually many canadian fans and several driver on the track.

My dd's class both stands and sings O Canada.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

This is probably going to get me into trouble, but I believe that it shouldn't matter what religion you are or what race you are, or where you're originally from you should be standing for the national anthem. Yes it has reference to god, but it is still the NATIONAL anthem for Canada that means every Canadian should be showing the respect that the country deserves. No one is asking these individual students to pray to god, if that's not what they believe in. I think it's ridiculous not to be standing. If for some "reason" these students can't show respect to the country tat has kept them safe, has given the oppurtunity to go to school and learn among many other things they should be out in the hall stilling on a bench, and the rest of the class should be standing
    Last edited by Joanna; 09-24-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Zoo

I find it interesting, though, that the assumption is that if they are not standing for religious reasons that they are immigrants. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    I find it interesting, though, that the assumption is that if they are not standing for religious reasons that they are immigrants. Why is that?

Zoo, if you are referring to my postI never said anything about anyone being an immigrant if they have different beliefs. I'm an immigrant myself and would never single someone out being one and believing in different things then I do.

Zoo

Nope, not specifically, Joanna, just over the last few pages, and when this has been discussed in the past, and when I've had this conversation with people in person. It just seems to be the leap folks make - if they're not standing for the anthem, they're not 'one of us...' but I'm pretty sure the ones who aren't standing are citizens...

Although in re-reading yours, yes, I would have assumed that by 'these people' and 'given the opportunity' I would have taken your post to mean that as well, so thanks for mentioning that. Because re-reading it *again* lol, with your second post, it makes perfect sense. Unlike me. I don't feel like I'm making much sense at all today.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'd choose having someone stand in the hall rather than remain seated because yeah, I do find that disrespectful...

In our school, the JW's (one of whom was a friend of mine) always went and stood in the hall during the National Anthem. She said it was because it was viewed as worshiping the land/country/ whatever, therefore a "false idol" and going against the first commandment which is:

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    Jeanne
    Mom to Cassandra, Kyle, Noah, and Holleigh

Expert Forum User

Wow... I am just baffled as to why in the world you wouldn't stand for a national anthem... so if they were in the Olympics.. and won the GOLD would the get off the podium and go in another room while they played O Canada???

Not right.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow... I am just baffled as to why in the world you wouldn't stand for a national anthem... so if they were in the Olympics.. and won the GOLD would the get off the podium and go in another room while they played O Canada???

Not right.
    Excellent point!!

The original post by Polly stated that her sons class did NOT stand for O Canada. This is extremely upsetting to me. It is understanding that there are approx. 2 religions that do not wish to stand or be present while the National Anthem is being played in the school. After a call to the Board office, this should NOT be happening in our schools. All children,teachers, parents are to be standing, the children with the religious reasons are asked to leave the room or their parents are asked to make alternate morning drop off arrangements so the arrive a bit later. Standing for the Anthem is not a choice for each student. It is played in every school every morning, the teachers, parent visitors, students are all expected to stand to show pride and respect to their country. Some classrooms have received new Canadian Flags so that the class is even asked to face the flag while the anthem is being played. Polly, if this is not happening in your sons class you need to speak to the principal. Also, the Board Office is very curious to know where this is occuring in their system. If it is 1 or 2 children for religious beliefs that is one thing...if it is your sons whole class, that is something that needs to be attended to ASAP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast