Poll: Should school children stand for the national anthem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Polly

Default Should school children stand for "O Canada" ?

I was surprised to see in my son's school that they don't. My Canadian friend was horrified so I guess you used to have to stand for the national anthem.

Expert Forum User

I work in a school and we still stand and most classes actually sing. I think it is disrespectful not to stand personally. Just my 2cents
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

I remember we had to do it all through school even in high school. Even if you were not born in Canada ( the children) I think that they should still respect for the country which they live in and should stand for the national athem.

Polly

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
    I remember we had to do it all through school even in high school. Even if you were not born in Canada ( the children) I think that they should still respect for the country which they live in and should stand for the national athem.
    I agree. Taken to its extreme, one of the reasons why Canada is such a great place to live is because the people here are so proud of their country. You start ignoring little things like standing for the national anthem when you used to and I think that's the slippery slope to a lot of future problems.

Expert Forum User

My grade 7 class still stands and some of them like to sing. Our school plays the anthem every morning and only students with religious beliefs as not to stand are allowed to do so. Those students usually sit in the hall during O Canada and come in right afterwards

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

What religious belief precludes someone from standing during the national anthem? Although I think here they sing the version with "God keep our land..." so maybe that's why?
    When I was a kid in public school, that was replaced with another "Oh, Canada"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    What religious belief precludes someone from standing during the national anthem? Although I think here they sing the version with "God keep our land..." so maybe that's why?
    When I was a kid in public school, that was replaced with another "Oh, Canada"
    When I was in high school (MANY moons ago) it was the Jehovah's Witnesses that always went into the hall for the national anthem. I think it has something to do with worshiping something other than God (I think it's the same logic they use for not celebrating birthdays). Don't quote me on that though, when it comes to religion I will freely admit I know nothing/very little about anything.

I'm atheist and still stand and sing O Canada, no matter what the words say. I live IN Canada, I stand for O Canada. It's called respect. Not necessarily but also includes patriotism and pride in the fact that I live in this great Country. I even dutifully accepted and learned the dual-language version (french and english). At least then we got variety. THEN they added the soul-edged punchy version and wow! Then we didn't feel like we were standing there passing out from the dull-ness of it all. Ooooo what version are they going to play?!

I still remember the most impressionable song that shaped my youth at school; the song that played when you had less than five minutes to get to the next class in Beal. "Groove is in the Heart" by Deee-Lite. Ha! Now THAT was a song to remember from school :P

Expert Forum User

With teaching in Oxford county I have a lot of Mexican Mennonites that do not stand for O Canada as well as a few Jehovah's Witnesses.

What school does your son attend? I taught for 12 years and have never heard of this???? I also have taught Mennonites in Perth county and they all stood for O Canada. I would check with the principal, wondering if this is one teacher and this should NOT be occuring? Does the rest of the school stand?

Quote Originally Posted by 1moremakes4 View Post
    What school does your son attend? I taught for 12 years and have never heard of this???? I also have taught Mennonites in Perth county and they all stood for O Canada. I would check with the principal, wondering if this is one teacher and this should NOT be occuring? Does the rest of the school stand?
    It is not one teacher, this is not unheard of. It came to focus while I was still in public school, and the families that choose not to have their children stand in the classroom for O Canada, I believe, are not being disrespectful. It's the children that CHOOSE to remain seated at their desks that should be corrected.

I think that if you live in Canada, you should stand for the national anthem. My kids school still stands and sings it.
    A little off topic, but we were in Watkins Glen NY for a Nascar race and they played the national anthem and alot of people around us in the camping did not stand for O Canada, but we all stayed standing for theirs, well the next race they did sang again and all the americans around us, stood quietly while O Canada was played and we thought that was nice of them.
    Loving mom to DD '99 and DD '01
    Proud foster mom to #4 and counting

Not standing for the Lords Prayer is what you are refering to NOT O Canada.The Lords Prayer was taken out of the school system yrs ago! If it was up to the children and their parents on what they choose to do in the school system, we could be in alot of trouble. This is out of respect for our country. I now have 3 children all in different schools (French emer., catholic and public) and this is never an option...so again I would suggest speaking to the principal.

Expert Forum User

I know that we have letters from parents that the principal follows. I'm pretty sure that it is a board policy for the public board that if a parent wants their child to refrain from standing during O Canada, they are allowed to do so. I have tried to find the document on the school board website, but can not.

i votes yes, why wouldnt you stand??? i have never heard of that!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast