Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Difference between "Christianity" and "Catholicism"

Do tell me there's a difference.

I remember my "Christian" boyfriend breaking up with me in highschool because his family frowned upon him cavorting with Catholics.

I seem to think, too, that the fundie Christian movement directly distinguishes themselves from Catholics, because of various dogmatic differences (though, not knowing much about religion, I wouldn't hazard to go into detail here).

Any thoughts?
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User

The basis is the same. Catholicism is different in the structure of the “mass“. I remember very much distinguishing myself from my friend who was “christian“ but I was RC. We're always being told that we all hold “christian“ values, but Catholicism is the faith followed. I've found these links;
    WikiAnswers - What are the differences between Christianity and Catholicism
    Difference between Catholicism and Christianity
    Bible Studies: Difference between Catholics and Christianity?, scripture and tradition, blessed sacrament
    EIPS - Basic Differences between Romanism and Bible Christianity

hmmm...funny i talked with my SO just this week about this...one of his sisters at a family dinner had mentioned in passing that during a rebellious high school period she had dated a catholic...(i'm not going to say what i did during my rebellious stage...except reform school probably would have been a good idea for me)...and most of their family seemed shocked...i was raised catholic and personally i was surprised that their baptist family thought that dating a catholic was so outrageous...to me christians are all kind of in the same boat...the jesus boat, no?...anyway...know there are some differances in christian churches such as same-sex marriages, ordaining women, original sin...

Expert Forum User

Catholicism is one kind of Christianity. So, Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. (Just like, ships are boats, but not all boats are ships. Or, unschoolers are homeschoolers, but not all homeschoolers are unschoolers. )
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

My DH is Catholic and we are sending our kids to Catholic school and attend Catholic church but I grew up in a protestant religion. To me we are all Christians and the “label“ doesn't matter here.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Basically Christianity is a broad description of Christ based faith and there are different religions that fall under that broad description. Catholic, Protestant, United etc are all Christ based religions and therefore fall under the broad 'Christian' description.

Make sense? Thats how i understand it anyhow - if I am wrong I am sure someone will let us know

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

It's like squares and rectangles. All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.

I think a few things that distiguish Catholics are their belief in intermediaries (priests, saints, etc.), belief in The Eucharist, and the method of Catholicism, which involves a distinctive approach to redemption through confession, penance and prayer.

In a lot of ways I think the Catholicism we see and often judge harshly is just the tip of the iceberg. When done right, I think Catholicism is one of the most interesting, deep and moving faith ideologies out there.
    Last edited by eversoclever; 03-02-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    Catholicism is one kind of Christianity. So, Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. (Just like, ships are boats, but not all boats are ships. Or, unschoolers are homeschoolers, but not all homeschoolers are unschoolers. )
    X-posted with you, LOL! Great minds! (Although I'd put my money on your mind any day, lmao.)

My opinion of a Christian is to be Christ like therefore any person who is trying the act/ live the way Christ lived his live would be a “Christian“. Don't really like the term because no one will ever be him, but do think it is a great goal to strive for. Catholics are Christians or at least under the same category but believe in saints (and pray to them), worship Mary(bow at the statues of her), do confession, and believe good works can get you to Heaven, Sprinkle baby's. I was raised a Catholic but am now a Baptist which is another form of Christianity we pray to God/Jesus/Holy Sprint (all the same thing), believe in Salvation, Baptist after salvation(so at an age where it the child's choice), and that God is the only one whom can forgive you of your sins through the dead of Jesus Christ, and lots more but those are the major differences

Expert Forum User

I ask because someone scoffed at an individual who was distinguishing herself -- her boyfriend was “Catholic“, she was “Christian“. A debate ensued about how ridiculous that was.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User

* just a quick note re: Catholicism and saints

Catholics ask that the Saints pray for us, but we don't pray to them. More of asking for prayer vs. praying to. Idolization isn't a Catholic thing

Quote Originally Posted by SweetyPi View Post
    * just a quick note re: Catholicism and saints

Catholics ask that the Saints pray for us, but we don't pray to them. More of asking for prayer vs. praying to. Idolization isn't a Catholic thing
    It's an interesting topic. But you wouldn't ask them to pray for you if you didn't believe they had some kind of clout, right? It's a whole other discussion, really. I'm interested in learning more about the practice.

Praying to the Saints

Expert Forum User

I guess the easiest way to explain this is that the Catholics have “patron saints“ those that help look after us during a certain activity. I guess it's not so much they have clout, it's that they have to have performed some kind of miracle while they were alive, which in turns must mean that God looked upon them as “helpers“ for him. They have to go through this process that can literally take decades in order to be consecrated as a saint. I don't think we've gotten a saint in many many years, if not decades. It's a whole other ball of wax, but here is a site that I frequent to help me remember (there's a lot of saints to remember)
    Catholic Online - Saints & Angels
    and here's their explaination of what a patron saint is
    Patron Saints - A - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    I ask because someone scoffed at an individual who was distinguishing herself -- her boyfriend was “Catholic“, she was “Christian“. A debate ensued about how ridiculous that was.
    Yep, that's ridiculous.

Maybe she didn't know what denomination of “Christian“ she was??
    formerly Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by SweetyPi View Post
    I guess the easiest way to explain this is that the Catholics have “patron saints“ those that help look after us during a certain activity. I guess it's not so much they have clout, it's that they have to have performed some kind of miracle while they were alive, which in turns must mean that God looked upon them as “helpers“ for him. They have to go through this process that can literally take decades in order to be consecrated as a saint. I don't think we've gotten a saint in many many years, if not decades. It's a whole other ball of wax, but here is a site that I frequent to help me remember (there's a lot of saints to remember)
    Catholic Online - Saints & Angels
    and here's their explaination of what a patron saint is
    Patron Saints - A - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
    I think everything you said is great for the purpose of discussion, but I do think that Catholics view saints as closer to God than normal man, and asking them to pray to God for us, to me, says that you believe they hold more sacred power than common man. The only intermediary that I acknowledge between myself and God is Christ himself. I'm not attacking this aspect of Catholicism, I just think it's a fine line to walk and that Catholics are generally very specific in the way they explain their relationship with the Saints because of the clear biblical language regarding idolization, as you mentioned.

FTR, I love reading up on the Saints and I find the whole study fascinating. Did you know there's a patron Saint of TV? LMAO! And a whole bunch of other interesting ones...

BBC - h2g2 - Cool Patron Saints

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast