Expert Forum User

Default Eating (or better yet, not eating) Fruits & Veggies...

I know that Fruit to Go and Fruit Source or whatever they are called bars are not the greatest option for kids and that fresh fruits and veggies would most definetly be preferrable, however...

What if your child just will not eat fruits and veggies, knowingly. I can get my 3 year old to eat peas, corn, tomato sauce (sometimes with pureed celery, onions, peppers, etc in it), occasionally spinach, apple sauce, and that's about it. She won't even try new things... again we have tried reward charts, bribery, you name it nothing works. Even smoothies or fruits mixed with ice cream are a no go at this point. If there is even the smallest chunk of a veggie in a meal it gets picked out or the whole meal won't get eaten. This is getting ridiculous! I can tell there are some things that she legitametly doesn't like (bananas, cucumber) and completely understand as I am the same way.

So my question is... is there any benefit at all to these Fruit source bars? They say they have 3 servings of fruit in them and that the sugars are all naturally occuring but I just don't know... they can be pricy too. I just want a toddler who is eating some healthy foods!

Banned

I hear ya!! My (almost) 4 year old will eat corn on the cob. That's it!! She requests "strawberry jam without the strawberries" (that means the pureed stuff where you can't see the fruit) and we can never ever mention that something has fruit or veg in it (if we slip up we have to explain that "it's just called that but it doesn't actually have any fruit/veg in it"!! - and she buys it!!). In her JK class the rule is fresh fruits or vegetables ONLY for snack - she hasn't even tried any of the snacks I've sent with her. I doubt that she will.
    The best I can offer is sneaking it to them - I made the Eat Your Vegetables Cupcakes which went over very well as long as there was nothing that was recognizable as a fruit or vegetable in it.
    Good luck! Let me know if you find anything that works for you!

SuperStore, Loblaws sell Mini Chefs fruit bars (and a whole line of 'kid' things)...they are 100% fruit natural sugars etc. All in all they taste good and it was at a time the only fruit my 6 yr old would eat..I think they are about .33 a piece or you can get them in a box but watch getting them that way, there are so pretty weird combinations..lol. Have you tried fruits cut up with a dip? Veggies with a dip? fruit cups with low syrup/sugar? Try making it a game, get a mix of fruits cut them up and have her make her own fruit cups? Stir fried veggies?
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

What been working really welll for my DS lately is the Mini Chefs pre-sliced apples and small bags of baby carrots. He likes that he gets the bag of fruit or veg and he will actually eat the entire serving.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

All great suggestions... all been tried... *sigh*... so does anyone know if the Fruit source bars are worth giving her? She will eat them at least.

Banned

I would say that if she's at least eating them then they must be worth it.

I give my DD's that Sun-Ripe Fruit and Veg juice to drink as well - 2 servings of fruit and veg in that!! Of course I don't call it what it actually is......