Expert Forum User

Unhappy sleep - 4 month old

My almost 5 month old has strange (I think) sleep patterns. She was sleeping well until about 2 weeks ago and now her sleep is all over the place. The worst started a few nights a go. She sleeps from 7:30-11pm (feeds for 5 minutes) wakes at 2am, feeds for 30 minutes, then sleeps until 5:30am and wakes up babbling and cooing, but not crying. I let her do this for about 45 minutes, checking on her twice (she was never crying, just making noise) and then I picked her up and tried to rock her back to sleep, and she started crying (soo good for my tired mommy ego). I finally swaddled her and brought her back to our bed and she slept with me for almost 2 hours. I can't do this every night. Q1 - is this normal? (DD1 didn't do this) Q2 - when did you stop swaddling your baby? DD2 seems to still need it sometimes to get back to sleep but freaks out when she wakes up swaddled.

I know this is a little scattered, but I am baffled by her! Let me know what you think. Thanks LMs!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds pretty normal to me actually, my dd#1 always woke up around 5-6 quite happy and just babbled and if I nursed her she would usually go back down for at least 2 hours. DD#2 is 9 months old and we still swaddle her and ds we were swaddling til he was a year old!

Everything sounds normal to me.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

ok.
    Yes this is normal.
    Growth spurt? teething?fighting a virus? recent upset or change in routine? new food?
    any thing can set them off.
    Swaddling.. i didnt stop till i found them unwrapped in the crib on their own.. around 6-9 months.. depends on the baby
    is she's freeking out even after being swaddled, she may be looking for the freedom to move already...
    the best you can do is, try to reestablish a GOOD routine that
    you can do every night, and watch her patterns and triggers.
    all mine did this around 5/6 months.. the routine was shot and we were at square one!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds a lot like my DD, who is also 4 months. She sleeps from about 7-2, wakes and eats 5-15 minutes. Then sleeps till about 6:30-7:00 when she usually wakes up cooing and de-swaddles herself by kicking her legs up in the air repeatedly. She just talks to herself for a while happlily, so I don't go in until she starts fussing I swaddled my older DD until she was about 6 months....basically once she started wanting to roll.

Expert Forum User

thanks ladies - you are quick!

Expert Forum User

T sleeps pretty similar.

goes to bed at 8pm sleeps til 12am feeds
    sleeps til 4am feeds and stays in bed with us til we get up at 730am. feeds
    goes back to bed at 830am and sleeps til 10am

Sounds absolutely normal!
    My DS is 9 months and has the same pattern, except he sleeps until 7am and is in his own bed.
    Although he is no longer swaddled, until he was about 5 months old he was and I would bring him into my bed every morning.

Expert Forum User

I swaddled DS untill about 6 months then I had to wean him off of being wrapped so tight as he was out growing his blankets and coming unswaddled at night and then wakin gup crying wanting to be swaddled again!

My DD's don't really like to be swaddled. DD#2 is 2 1/2 months old, she goes down about 8pm, wakes at 2-3am for feeding and then again around 6-7am.

Expert Forum User

My daughter grew out of swaddling really quickly, after the first couple of weeks she got really upset at having her arms tucked in and so it no longer soothed her. I've since discovered sleep sacks, and they've been great at helping settle her down for the night as they have a swaddling effect but aren't too constricting. (She's 3 months old.)

This kind of thing ..
    Last edited by PicklePig; 09-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Sounds just like us too!!
    Sleep 9-1
    nurse for 20 mins
    sleep 1:30-4
    nurse
    sleep 4:30-7
    then lay in bed till 7:30 babbling till i decide i've got enough energy to stand lol
    Buy my stuff!!! Usually Baby & Young Boy Stuff!!
    Lots of Baby Girl Clothing right now!!
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOth...serIdZ56392368

I find my son (4 months next Tuesday) is constantly changing what he does. Some nights he wakes up for feedings (could be 1am could sleep until 3am), but last two nights he's been swaddled and in a sleep sack and he's slept from 9pm - 8:00am. I read that its completely normal for babies to have odd sleep patterns or to frequently change sleep patterns as they grow and that instigating a nightly bedtime routine is a good thing to do and then just bare with them as they figure out their sleeping. I.e. We try to give our son a bath at about 8:30pm, then rub sleepy time lavender baby lotion on and do a light baby massage, then dress him, swaddle him, feed him, and rock him to sleep or walk around with him. He's usually fast asleep within 20mins... we then carefully remove the swaddle about 1hr later when he's fast asleep.