Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Default I've been out of work for a long time.

And I'd like to go back. But I have no job experience to list for the last 5 years due to being a SAHM. My resume is very sad looking. And I'm also an immigrant -- not sure if that's going to work against me or not.

What do should I do to get myself back in the driver's seat career-wise?

Banned

What career are you after? Or do you just want a job?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    And I'd like to go back. But I have no job experience to list for the last 5 years due to being a SAHM. My resume is very sad looking. And I'm also an immigrant -- not sure if that's going to work against me or not.

What do should I do to get myself back in the driver's seat career-wise?
    I know there are programs to help immigrants get into the workforce. I think a lot of places will hire you over someone else because you ARE an immigrant. They get tax breaks.

I would like to go back to administration/secretarial work at least until I get into grad school. I've thought about applying with temp agencies, but don't they need to see some kind of recent job history and/or references?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Immigrant as in permanent resident with the right to work?
    I don't think that should be an issue. I was able to (with my ridiculous first and last name) to always get a job and my immigrant status was never even brought up.

Expert Forum User

Good luck, and check out the local searches. There's also a job fair at the Hellenic center on Southdale March 3rd, if you're interested. I think you can find someone here that's a fantastic resume writer. I'd focus on your knowledge and less so on your experience. Like, you'd list what you're good at and your current skills set and then mention your places of employment at the bottom. Good Luck, immigrant or not, the job market is slowly making a recovery, so it's a good time to get out there and look.

Quote Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
    Immigrant as in permanent resident with the right to work?
    I don't think that should be an issue. I was able to (with my ridiculous first and last name) to always get a job and my immigrant status was never even brought up.
    LOL, that made me giggle. I would be applying as a perm res with work permit, yes.

Maybe I should get in touch with immigration and see if they have a community program or something.

Banned

DH never had any issues getting a job as a permanent resident. He is STILL a permanent resident.

Expert Forum User

Good luck, I've been thinking about returning to work lately as well. I have a large hole of time on my resume too.

I guess it depends where you're looking, but there are many places that wouldn't require a lot of experience.

One of our neighbours drives bundles of flyers from location A to B . At 4 in the morning. It supplements her income $500.00 a month. A good friend of mine in BC started out as her school's crossing guard, and now she schedules crossing guards all over her city.

How about a server in a restaurant? It's not personally for me (Major fail. I've tried it before ) How about a bakery? I would love that.

I would definitely apply at temp agencies for work in an office. Good luck in your search!
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

Expert Forum User

What about inbound call centre work ESC? I know that MCAP (where I work in the summer) is always hiring. Its a mortgage company, so sort of boring but it's not bad pay (I make $13 as a student, so full time would make more than that lol) and I know they have a few things open right now.
    Last edited by Pearl; 02-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Jake &Tate

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't have even thought of the immigrant status affecting you negatively (LOL branka)

You already have administrative/secretarial experience? My only thought is whether there might any little courses you could take to 'update' so-to-speak? Would there have been changes in computers and 'stuff' in the last 5 years that someone would need to be updated on? or other computer programs?(you can see how intimate my knowledge of computers is)

shoot..i just recently saw an online reference about how to revamp your resume after being SAHM for a period of time. i'm looking for jobs right now too and i've been updating stuff. if i can find the link again, i'll send it to you!
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Just FYI as someone who used to work in recruitment, don't be too worried about a time gap in your resume... just be prepared to explain it. When I was looking at work experience I wasn't too worried about how long ago it was.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I found it easier to find work (in London, not here!) with that gap in there. I was interviewed mostly by men, too, not even other moms - and they all pointed out to ME that I must be good at multitasking then, and problem solving.

I don't think temp agencies are that picky. If you've got the knowledge (like if it says you need to know this or that program) they are happy. Many of my siblings and I have worked with temp agencies and sometimes it pans out into higher paying jobs, sometimes not. The only sucky part is having to get to know people each new place, and also knowing dude next to you is getting paid more than you
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Are you able to volunteer to get something on your resume?
    moving sucks