Banned

Default Dealing with attitude from daycare child?

I had no idea what to use for a title... lol

I did home daycare last year for 6 months. I stopped in February. One of the parents called me 2 weeks ago and asked if I can watch her 2 kids until the end of March. The 5 year old is here in the afternoons and an 8 year old after school.

Now this may be a super stupid question, but I am having difficulty with the older one and attitude. Last year there were no problems at all.

With my own kids if they aren't listening or have major attitude, they go to their room. What do I do with an 8 year old that isn't my own child? He will demand things and talk to me like he is the adult. He will flat out refuse to do things I ask (like pick up his coat/snow pants from the middle of the floor). And this was just 3 days last week!

The reason she needed a new daycare provider is because he had a personality conflict with the last one.

Any suggestions? I have never had to deal with this, so I feel totally lost!!

well... I certainly have no experience with a child of that age. But it still sounds like he's testing you and your limits.

personally.. I would do what I did with a LO.. sit him on a chair - make sure he's bored until he's ready to talk to you respectfully and obey your house rules. ??

I would talk to his mom about it.. you 2 can get on the same page, then sit down and have a meeting with the 3 of you. Discuss expectations, WRITE DOWN rules and expectations that he must follow while at your house and post them so they are visible.
    Discuss that you will 'report' back to his mom, or have his mom say that she will be asking you at pick up everyday if there were any issues.

maybe have some sort of chart, or sheet that he fills out himself about his afternoon at your house, how he felt his behaviour was, if there were any issues etc. Then you can go over the sheet together and discuss it before mom comes.

If there is limited time, have a sheet that is just a sort of fill in the blank - his mom should get in the habit of asking for it right away so that he knows he's expected to do it, and has to answer to her if he doesn't fill it out.

Then if that still doesn't work - you have lots of things to prove that you've tried with him, and that he's just not co-operating.

hth

Expert Forum User

Speak with the parents for sure about the behavour. Ask what they do at home when he behaves this way. He needs to show you and your home some respect he is old enough to understand for sure. Parents of older ones in my care have requested time outs and that is what I do.

Banned

Thanks for the advice! I will definatly talk to her about it. The last thing I want is J to get the wrong impression that it's ok to talk to adults that way (especially because he has an attitude all on his own right now... lol).

I had thought about it being testing too, but when she said the reason they had to switch because of conflict with the last person, that got me worried!