Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To Sell, or not to sell Outgrown kids clothes?

This is kid related because I'm asking about kid stuff. Although I was able to unload the last bunch of outgrown clothes relatively quickly (Thanks Mofo!), I am wondering if it's worth the hassle? Taking pics, entering in the info, checking emails, answering calls, delivering... I figure that if I go through the process of selling them, then I want to put a price on the clothes that is reasonable, but maybe if the stuff was cheaper they'd go right away? But then, what's the point? I might as well have given then away in the first place or gone to OUAC and gotten completely ripped off...

Opinions? Or alternately - anyone that would like a continuous supply of boys clothes starting at size 6 and girls starting at size 4 and I'll just le you know when I have another bag ready?
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Expert Forum User

I hear ya! Sometimes I wonder what's the point of going through all that trouble. I usually end up donating my kids clothes, or bringing it to OUAC. I have been successful selling most of my stuff on kijiji. My prices are cheaper than most ... $1-$2 per brand name item... a steal if you ask me! If you want a quick sale, price your items low. Pricing items individually as opposed to by the lot, seems to move my things quicker along too... I'm not sure why??? Good-luck!

I could use some of the girls clothes i have an almost 3 year old girl that is growing like a weed. Doesn;t matter if they are free or if i have to pay for them, i'd be interested. I hate shopping for kids clothes

Expert Forum User

I received 'hand-me-down' clothes for all my kids when they were little and as they grew, usually from the same people. I have then in turn passed their out grown stuff to friends with littler than mine. I appreciated not having to buy everything new, knowing that they were going to grow out of them before they wore out and I know the people I pass the stuff to, feel the same way. I find it easier to part with stuff too, if I know its going to someone who's kids can get use of them. I find garage sales a lot of work to host. Can only imagine selling clothes piece by piece to be a lot of work for how much you make.

mumtobelle

It would be nice to recoup a little bit of money from the clothing. When I sold some stuff it was as a lot. I think it's easier doing it this way and you aren't making $2 here, $4 there. I would prefer buying stuff as a lot as well. I don't want to run across town to pick up a pair of second hand jeans.

I just bought from Tan2manykids (funny how i came across her ad on kijiji) I found that buying in a lot would be much easier. its such a hassel to look at all the ads to see just one little thing. And i must say I cannot believe how good of a deal I just got... although i have to make it clear to all my family members that this baby doesn't need anything clothing wise until after 6 months I had lots of unisex stuff from my sister as well.

I liked how she took pictures of a few cute outfits together and had them in there, so i got an idea of how cute they were. without having to buy piece by piece.
    Yale 4yr old
    Kane 1yr old
    and baby makes 3!!! Errr... 4!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaleigh View Post
    I just bought from Tan2manykids (funny how i came across her ad on kijiji) I found that buying in a lot would be much easier. its such a hassel to look at all the ads to see just one little thing. And i must say I cannot believe how good of a deal I just got... although i have to make it clear to all my family members that this baby doesn't need anything clothing wise until after 6 months I had lots of unisex stuff from my sister as well.

I liked how she took pictures of a few cute outfits together and had them in there, so i got an idea of how cute they were. without having to buy piece by piece.
    Tanna i'm glad you were pleased. I think that was the way to go too!! It was is much easier to sell as a big lot. with the exception of about 3-4 outfits that I kept as keepsakes.. That was pretty much Noahs entire nb-3 month clothing.. I am waiting to sell all of his next size Until next summer for obvious reasons... GLad you were happy Tanna

Expert Forum User

Last year I had a table at the fall sale but I didn't really sell a lot of stuff that Cooper actually wore, just stuff that was given as gifts that I didn't like. So far I have kept everything he ever wore. I'm very sentimental and have a hard time parting with things. Now that we have pretty much decided that we are done having kids I think I'm ready to part with some of his clothes but I'll just be giving them all to friends and won't bother selling anything. When I was growing up my mom always had me go through my stuff to give to the Goodwill so that's still what I do.

Expert Forum User

When my oldest DD first outgrew her clothes, i would sell them at a local consignment store here in Woodstock, and i made decent money on them, because alot of her clothing was namebrand. That owner passed away suddenly, and the owners run it alot like OUAC, and i got very little. So i heard of this place. I have been selling some clothes, but not full lots like i would prefer. Currently i have a small lot of girls 4t, and a big lot of girls 3-6 months that im trying to sell. I get lots of interest, but no one ever replies back, so thats frustrating. Being in a one income family, i try to sell most of their clothes, with keeping my favorites, in order to make money for new clothes.
    Madison - Setember 20,2002
    Emma - June 12,2006 RCDH
    Carter- November 3, 2009

Banned

I donate all of ours - usually to our nursery school's fundraising garage sale in the spring. I just don't have the patience or energy to sort through, advertise, reply to e-mails etc. Anything left over from the garage sale goes to Goodwill so either way, I'm satisfied it goes to a good cause!

I also just give stuff away, either to close friends or goodwill. I used to sell it but enjoy this more!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

im going to start to sell my newborn -3 months clothes in the next month! because we dont have the room for them! Im looking for 3-6 or 6-12 month clothes for fall/winter for Jonathan
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Banned

I do give lots of things away especially my son Andrews clothes .. but I have 5 kids and I will if I can recoup some of the cost of their clothes. My kids are at ages and sizes where they cannot be handed downto each other. Brooklyn is small and tiny for her age 5 and Makayla 11 is so tall and lanky. Andrew and Braxton are only 2 years apart in age but with a weight difference of about 25 pounds!! I usually sell the brand name stuff and donate the other things..

Expert Forum User

So far I have donated anything I didn't want. I do the same with all my old clothes as well. I do have some designer baby clothes (Tommy, CK), and I will save them for my brother and his wife. If there first isn't a girl, I will either attempt to sell it or donate it. I don't want to keep boxes of outgrown clothing around now that we are done having children.

I'd love to be able to give things away to family, but my sisters and I all have boys the same age (freaky being pregnant at the same time) and my one sister and I have girls the same age (see previous). I've had a pm which has solved my dilemma
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast