Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Until there is a forum called "Things that make zoo bang her head against a wall"...

I'll just use the Chit Chat forum. lol

So the school that sends home 'pink slips' if you give your kid a potato chip in his lunch has their big meet the teacher deal. You can buy dinner. What's on the menu? Pizza. Ok, not the end of the world, nutritionally, and very easy. Cool. Let's grab some juice/milk/water for the kids though. What's that? No juice? No milk? No WATER? Just pepsi, diet pepsi, etc. Super, many thanks. lol

Wow that is stupid. Can't wait until my kids are in school! I thought the schools are suppose to be more geared towards healthy choices. Well I would definately complain, perhaps there will be a better selection next time if you do.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Expert Forum User

now that is funny!
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User

Ha, I think you deserve your own Forum. :P

I saw that too. We ate before we went so Natalie was allowed to chose between a piece of pizza or chips. She chose the chips.

Don't forget about the Candy Bags. :P

Expert Forum User

oh...Hilarious! I didn't even think of the irony. We have the meet the teacher tomorrow- same supper deal. We were told any junk food we send for snack would be sent home- only nutritious snacks allowed....cause well "they are all about nutrition" REALLY NOW?

I had no idea school had changed so much since I was young. I have two more years to get my act together, I guess, before I start sending my daughter to school with the mini coloured marshmallows she currently requests for snack!!

Maybe it would just be easier to home school......

Oh my

Is this a regular deal? Is the school sponsored by Pepsi Co.?

I guess kids will love to go to school because even if they hate every other aspect of it, they will be too addicted to the food to want to skip out. Fab. approach
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Zoo

No, it's only regular in the sense that it's every fall. The kids can't buy pop in the school. Although somehow 'powerade' has slipped through the cracks. I sent mr zoo to pillage the vending machines for some juice, milk, & water and he was able to get a can of juice and a bottle of water but the milk vending machine wasn't plugged in. That's another thing though, yay for milk instead of pop in the school, but why on earth does it have to be a 500 ml serving? And why do we need strawberry (read: SUGAR) flavour??? Sigh.

girlsmum

Angry

Note to forum admin.................Zoo needs her own column!!!LOL! Please? We promise it will be the most widely read!

Yes snack food corps do strike deals with schools, thus filling them with unhealthy and worse yet, addictive substances. There is now caffeine in every single soft drink, 7UP used to not have it years ago, I do NOT buy soft drinks in this house diet or not, the diet has artificial sweetener which heated to 37 degrees, body temp turns into formaldehyde, a little science trivia. Off topic, sadly, it is only we the parents who can turn the tables! All the cut backs in school, and yes even in high school now where Vicky is finally getting to every day no problem, she is in advanced strings, plays the bass in her orchestra and doesn't want to bring the bass home, she says they're so trashy, all 4 of them! They've taken everything away proven to excel students like music, dance and exercise, but plenty of flippin junk food.

Guess what, this is the generation that will one day pay into our pensions, starting these addictive lives isn't a good thing by any thought. Yeah, mommy's home schooling her younger nerds!!

Expert Forum User

Thanks for my morning chuckle Zoo, I needed it. (even if it WAS at the expense of the 'twisted' school system hehe!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Can you send a "pink slip" to the PTA, who probably were responsible for the event?
    And the candy thing! This is our first 'meet the teacher night' event here as we moved in half-way through the year, and we just got a notice that we are to make up 'twoonie jars' filled with candy for the kids to buy, to raise $$ for the school. Not very happy about that! Now I will have to dole out $4 (2 kids) so they don't feel left out to bring home a bunch of sugar that I won't let them eat!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Zoo

Ditto liisa. But loonie not twoonie. And there is some gross stuff in those bags, lemme tell ya. My favourite is the 'gramma-candies'...you know, the wrapped hard fruit-flavoured choking hazards? Oy vey...

I sooooo hear you on this topic. Mind you, my kids are fruit and veggie organic eating little machines. I can tell them anything is organic (they get the whole lack of chemicals concept) and they will eat it. Hehhee

ANYWAY, I digress......yep, our school is also serving Pizza for meet the teacher night. AND, I complained every year about the chocolate bar sales they force upon us as parents to support our kids selling to complete strangers.

Ahhhhh....duh! Why are you harping about nutrition and then in the same breath asking my kids to peddle the equivalent of a waxy, cocoa bean concoction? Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

No, my super healthy eating kids are not allowed to bring one freakin cookie in their lunch when everything else is super healthy but when it is 'convienient and affects the bottom line' it is then okay to try to lure my kids into eating your candy store confections?

Also, why is it that on every class trip I have ever chaperoned they have a snack included and said snack usually consists of a Rice Crispy Square and a sugary Not-Juice box??/

I would just LOVE for a teacher to send me a pink slip. Let me tell you...she would be seeing pink alright...like the colour of her internal organs when I rip off her head and shove it up her...well, you know!!

I agree that some families and kids need 'support' in making better choices. BUT, we do not know thier situation nor should be be the ones to judge it. As parents we all get the chance to chose what we feed our kids. That is not the schools job. And, from what I have been hearing already this year they are going a little overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremommy View Post
    I agree that some families and kids need 'support' in making better choices. BUT, we do not know thier situation nor should be be the ones to judge it. As parents we all get the chance to chose what we feed our kids. That is not the schools job. And, from what I have been hearing already this year they are going a little overboard.

YEAH THAT!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast