Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Odd.. what next. lol

DS just informed us that in his FIRST Science class of Grade 9.. the supply teacher wanted to teach them about friction.. so she let them watch The Magic School Bus.. seriously... is there nothing else she can use to teach them .... I realize its a 'good' show. but in Grade 9... were always telling our kids not to boast that they still like Arthur etc.. then he tells us this... *facepalms* thanks guys... lol im not mad per sey.. but a little disappointed.... i remember the old tv being rolled in on the black cart and waiting for our educational show to start.. anyone else..
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; 02-02-2010 at 05:37 PM.

LOL I'm probably in the minority here but Ii'd rather them watching something too young than too old for them.
    In ds's kindergarten/jk combined class, they watched movies up here - such things as the live version of Pink Panther, Bridge to Terabithia, and even Harry Potter. I was glad he missed so much school that I didn't have to storm in there angry AFTER the fact. I just herad about it from other moms.

honestly, I'd figure the sub had little notice and it was a tv show, not the end of the world. lol and I wouldn't tell my kids not to tell people they like something - I'd say stand up for yourself.
    If they tease you for liking it, say that's fine, I make my own choices thanks or whatever.
    When I was in highschool tons of teens watched Sailor Moon. It's not that different - it's like once you're past a certain age, it's cool to be childish again y'know? Like how when you're ten you wouldn't be caught dead in a Strawberry Shortcake tee. But by age 16 ?It's cool and retro
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

LMAO. Well I doubt her kids will take her very seriously now.

Expert Forum User

Um wow .... magic school bus? Its geared for lower to middle grades ... not high school. Weird.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

M2M

I can understand why she did it. Its explaining something at its simplest form. Its spoken in terms everyone will understand. Better than being intimidated by science the first day.

getting a little more information as we talk.... there maybe a legit reason.. will keep you posted.

Expert Forum User

Hey. I thought you were going to go in the TOTALLY opposite direction with the “friction“ example! PHEW!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

OH my NO.. sorry.. I just thought wow your teaching Grade 9 kids... Ds says for the most part none of them seemed interested at all.... I guess overeacting isn't the right word. we are beginning to question the 'level' of the class. had the exact same issue last year with our other son... ya he was cleaning fish tanks .... we intervened and the next day he was in a new class doing experiments.. have a feeling were going to be doing the same thing..again..
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; 02-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Expert Forum User

I totally watched the magic school bus when I was in grade 9. It was Sunday morning, there was nothing else on...
    But yeah it's probably not all that 'educational' for 9th graders. I think they all probably knew most of that already.

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    Hey. I thought you were going to go in the TOTALLY opposite direction with the “friction“ example! PHEW!
    I hate to admit it, but ya, I thought that too...

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarazzi View Post
    I hate to admit it, but ya, I thought that too...
    LOL - me too!!

Expert Forum User

but, The Magic School Bus teaches us so much....

Seriously, I didn't understand how light reflected and refracted to show colour until I watched the episode - then I won a contest because I knew the correct answers about light!!

Expert Forum User

it could also be due to copyright laws, we “technically“ are only allowed to show what the school board has rights to show. I know that I personally use School House Rock for grammar, my students think it is super cheesy, but they remember things like:

Conjunction Junction what's your function....
    and
    Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here.....

Oh, I can't wait to go back to work, I'm hoping that my LTO hasn't shown it yet, I personally get excited teaching grammar and watching School House Rock.

I have School House Rock sitting here waiting for me to watch it and decide if it might be good for ds lol. Thanks for reminding me, I can't wait t owatch it later!
    I think I first learned of it on Reality Bites.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    it could also be due to copyright laws, we “technically“ are only allowed to show what the school board has rights to show. I know that I personally use School House Rock for grammar, my students think it is super cheesy, but they remember things like:

Conjunction Junction what's your function....
    and
    Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here.....

Oh, I can't wait to go back to work, I'm hoping that my LTO hasn't shown it yet, I personally get excited teaching grammar and watching School House Rock.

guess i should have asked a teachers opinion on this ha.. sorry.. good point.. ftr. i've never heard of those shows.. are they cartoons? are they on tv? or are those school resources only..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast