Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you send your child to daycare if...

I have a question for some of the moms on here. I am currently a home daycare provider. I know of a daycare in London that is for sale. It was operational but it recently closed because it had problems with the Children's Aid Service. Apparently something bad enough that the Ontario Tribunal basically shut it down.

So, if I buy this daycare it is just the building (taking over the lease) and all the equipment and set-up.

Here is my question....

Would you send your child to a daycare you knew had problems in the past even if it was made very clear that it was under a new owner etc etc etc?

It would have a new name, new owner and all new staff and children. Basically just the same building and toys.

I just don't want to buy a business that already has a bad stigma against it that parents can't see past now that I own it and had nothing to do with it's history.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would still send my child if I knew there was new ownership. I am sure the parents of the children that went there before would be happy if it opened up again with new ownership because the location probably worked for them.
    Best of Luck

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Mommy2Owen

AS a parent I would always see that building as the one shut down by CAS... I would be a little leary at first even knowing that it is all new staff and children. That is just my opinion!

I would have no problem sending my child there. But I suggest you change the name of the business. That way you will distance yourself even more.

You might have a bit of a stigma to overcome, but definately with a new name and all new staff it would be easy to convince ppl of the fact that it's not the one that was closed down by CAS. Word of mouth; put it out there and it will spread. Good luck!

Get one of those huge signs until your full the ones with neon letters , new name new management. I would send my child there possibly after a tour and meeting, just like any other daycare.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Ditto - I would have to know that the new owner/manager had NOTHING to do with the old dc and that every single staff member was brand new. Change as much as possible about the appearance and make it very public knowledge that you are new.

Like pp has suggested, change the name and as much of the appearance as you can. I know exactly which daycare that you are taking about as I drive past it everyday. it does kind of look run down, like it needs maybe if possible a paint job from the outside and some basic maintaince. I think that I would send my kid there if I knew that it was under new ownership and new staff were working there etc. Good Luck if you do decide to go ahead.

I agree witht the above posters. I also think that you already are established as a home daycare provider so you would already have clients. Word of mouth travels fast and is your best advertisment.

I agree with a lot of what the other ladies have said already. At first you may have a bit of stigma to deal with but with time and getting the word out there about how great your new daycare is (and make it very clear it isn't in anyway associated with the original one) will do you wonders! I used to work for an awful and very very poorly run daycare a few years ago. If this daycare I used to work at had new owners and changed the look, the reputation, got new clients and perhaps even offered some sort of insentive or bonus for signing my children up (ie: a free first week, a reduced rate for the first month, etc), I would for sure send my children there just to give you an example! I am sure lots of other people would as well.
    Something else to consider, say a store which has been around for a few years gets itself a 'bad' reputation and then eventually goes out of business and a new similar type of store goes into this same location, do people (well ok maybe some) stop shopping there or do they continue to do so once a new store goes into that same location ? I would say they continue to do so for the most part! One such store that comes to mind as an example would be that linen store that used to be on Exeter Rd. I personally found the prices way too high and didn't shop there often . I also did not have very good experiences in there with some of the staff who were working there are the time. That store closed down (well it was eventually torn down I believe so they could build something else in there, maybe even the new Linens and Things?) and now Linens and Things is in there and I shop there once in a while and many other people who once shopped at the old store probably do as well. There are many other stores or fast food places which have done this same thing as well (been in business for a while, gone out and a new place of a similar type of store comes in). Various pizza places also come to mind, so this is no different than a daycare going out of business and a new one coming in! People like to try new things/stores when old ones go out and new ones go in, even if a former store/fast food place did have a bad reputation, they are normally willing to give the new place at least a try and maybe even up liking it and want to keep going back! I don't see why it wouldn't work much the same way with a daycare centre too.
    Best of luck to you in your new endeavour! I have considered buying a daycare at one time too but likely won't do that now. Just no longer have an interest any longer. I used to also run/operate my own home based daycare for a few years but no longer do that either.
    You will have to post more on here if you decide to go ahead with this business venture! I am sure many of the ladies on here would like to find out more details about the upcoming daycare, prices, what your program would have to offer, etc.

Kendall
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 09-10-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

First let me say that yes I would send my child there ... you just have to be clear that you are ALL new... I am sure you will be fine.

The other thing to consider is that daycare is in great demand in this city right now. We were looking for somewhere to send our dd this fall so I could go back to school... but the only places I could find would have been a home daycare ... which I think have great merit... but my dh's benefits cover part of our daycare if it is not for profit (most centers are due to government funding) so that was what we needed and there were none. I am sure that you would fill up quickly if only under the fact that people need care and you have it available. Any questionable reputation you may have carried from previous centre would soon be dismissed by the reputation you would be building with these clients.

Finally Goodluck!! I hope that if you do decide to go ahead that it all works out for you.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Oh I totally forgot to mention that some people may not even know that the old daycare had any kind of problems. I for one had no idea until you told us. I'm sure that you'll get a lot of takers.

i would think most moms understand the separation of one business to another.
    I could understand their reluctance if you kept the same name.
    But advertising new management having fresh faces-nothing against old workers, and a new name signifies a big change and thats good.
    Maybe do an opening night to introduce yourself so parents can see the changes.
    are you redecorating the inside??
    I would the more changes the better, it is visual and it can make a difference as some parents that used that ctr are likely to call on you.
    Last edited by Tami&amber; 09-10-2007 at 07:48 PM.

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

stacia

is it the one on wellington? i had my daughter at the daycare that miss jody had befor and she was a little odd! if it is because of her that it closed and i knew she wasn't there anymore i would for sure use it. i think word of mouth for daycares carry alot of wieght. if you have a good reputation i think you'll be ok.

Zoo

Which daycare was closed by CAS??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast