Expert Forum User

Question I need some advice

Not sure if it is a breastfeeding question, sleep question or just general WWYD.

I have posted twice about this sorta issue or at lease what has led up to this.

If you want a little more background they are here : http://forum.londonmoms.ca/51970-why-isnt-she-sleeping

YDD was a GREAT sleeper, slept for 11-12 hours straight since around 3 months. We have had issues with sickness and I assume teething that led to her sleeping in my bed.

My issue now is this. She sleeps great from 7/8 until 1/2am then she is crying, I go in and grab her, nurse her and we both fall asleep in my bed. IF I wake up I put her back in her crib where she stay for an hour or two then is up again and we repeat. I try to stay awake and put her back right away but I guess I just can't stay awake.

She never woke before so I am wondering have I just created a bad habit? OR does she need to eat? She is tiny so I like to know she eats when she can. Often the only way I can calm her is to nurse. The plan is to wean at a year and that is next month. I also remember the other night when I picked her up I could her her tummy so then I knew she needed to eat. I just can't understand why it is SO often now.

I really need some support here as I just don't know what to do.

My ODD was an aweful sleeper and was in bed most nights with us. I also did not BF past 2 weeks with her. When YDD was so good in her crib it was the best and now something has messed with the great success we once had.

Any advice would be appreciated.

At 10 months she should be able to sleep through the night and not need to be fed. Try putting her to bed awake, if she starts crying go in after 5 min. or so comfort her and leave and keep doing this till she falls asleep on her own, it's important that she has a good sleep and knows how to fall asleep without eatting and of course you need your sleep too.
    Evelyn May - 9 years
    Rose Adelle - 7 1/2 years
    William James - 5 years
    Thomas Edward - 16 months

I was going to suggest the same thing as above. It's so hard when you're in the midst of it though, you'll do ANYTHING to get them to stay asleep. Hang in there, hopefully, it's just a growth spurt and she'll outgrow it.

Expert Forum User

I think nightweaning would probably help you to curb those early morning wakings if you want to do it. Try filling her up as much as possible before bed and then cut out all the night feedings.
    Here's a more gentle method of nightweaning that we used when DS was around 11 months old:
    Changing The Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed
    he talks about doing it in a cosleeping environment but we did it with DS and he was in his crib alone from about 5 months.

If you'd rather get it done all at once and you aren't opposed to CIO, you can go in every 5 mins or in increasing intervals until she settles. If you're going to do that, definitely give yourself a time limit so you won't be wondering “should I just pick her up?“ the whole time. But you really really have to be ready before you do it because it is hard and heartbreaking and easy to second guess which is why I recommend the gentle method first!

I think if you are going to nurse at night but want her to go back to sleep try and put her back in her crib awake after but drowsy after the feeding.
    good luck!

[/url]

Expert Forum User

I am sorta opposed to CIO. I did it with ODD but she was 2 and could tell me what she wanted.

I think the hardest thing for me is this is just starting now. She WAS a great sleeper and now it is gone.

I like the methods in the article but left a little baffled. They say when you are not nursing to pat their back, talk etc and they will get use to falling asleep on their own. Well if they are in bed with you they are not alone.

Can you explain how you did it jenelen. I want her back in her crib again.

My other issue is also I tend to fall asleep before her while nursing so it is hard to stop her before she falls asleep.

Should I cut out the feedings and bring her to bed or what can I do to calm her in I leave her in her crib.

Tonight I nursed around 7:30 and by 8 she was still awake so I put her in her crib. I shushed her, patted her back and bum. After 20 minutes she was crying, coughing and pulling up on the crib to get out. It is like she can't be soothed without nursing anymore.

I would rather not leave her to cry. I just think she is too young.

Expert Forum User

Well what we did was sort of a gradual removal of me. So for the first 3 days I would nurse him but just for 5 mins then put him back awake. Then I would sit by his crib and let him play with my hair until he fell asleep. It did take ages. I prayed a lot of rosary decades. Hopefully took some time off of purgatory
    Then for the next three days I would just come in and pick him up and rock him for a moment then put him back and let him play with my hair.
    Then the next three days he just played with my hair. The next bit was tricky though because he really needed my hair to get him to sleep. So I found a doll, washed her hair in my shampoo and gave that to him. then I'd sit by his crib. It took longer than 3 days before he would go to sleep without me sitting there but it took maybe 2 weeks in total and then he would just wake, I'd just go in and kiss him and he would go right back to sleep. However, since he was waking every 2 hours or so I got virtually no sleep at all for 2 weeks. So you definitely have to be committed. And there was some crying involved when he first realized I wouldn't pick him up and then give him my hair.

Is her crib in your room or her own? If yours, moving her out might help if you're ready. If her own, nursing her in a chair will ensure you don't fall asleep and might help keep the night nursings more business like, plus you can remember to put her down awake. But, it will also entail less rest for you in the short term. And it might not help either. It didn't for my little guy.

The No Cry Sleep Solution is another great book to check out if you're looking for gentle methods to help sleep! It has all kinds of different ideas for whatever ages and you can pick and choose to make your own sleep plan. And there's no crying involved. The Author is Elizabeth Pantley and you can find it at the library.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Thanks. I will try this tonight.

The crib is in her room. There is no room for a chair in her room and that sucks! ODD did so it made rocking much easier. The baby however hates to be rocked. As soon as you pick her up she pushes, pulls arches her back until you can barely hold her. So not sure how that will work for day 4,5 and 6.

Thanks so much for your help. I will let you know if it works for us

Expert Forum User

So night #1

Woke up around 1:14am, I picked her up and sorta cradled her and nursed while walking/rocking. She nursed for about 3 minutes and pulled away. Once she pulled away I put her in the crib. She probably could have nursed a little longer but I grabbed the opportunity. She cried, fussed and tried to pull up and out (tomorrow we lower the mattress) this went on for about 50 -60 minutes. She is asleep now though so we shall see how long it lasts.

arggg 2am .. I hope she sleeps until morning now....maybe the crying and fussing exhausted her.

Good Night and I will update when I can. Please feel free to correct what I am doing or add something I am not.

ETA: She slept until 5:26am I went in and tried to just sooth her by patting but her crying seemed much more shrill at 5am! I picked her up and nursed her in the cradle hold, she honestly seemed starving So she sorta pulled away so I put her down and she actually rolled over and went to sleep. I go back to bed to see how long it all took and the clock read 5:33! So 7 minutes to get her down

She is still sleeping now (7am) and I can't wait until she wakes up so she can get a full nurse.

Night #2
    Last edited by LoveMyGirls22; 02-02-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Expert Forum User

8:30am and she is STILL asleep!!! I wish I didn't have to get up with ODD and get her off to school or I would still be tucked in my fat bed sawing logs

Expert Forum User

I gave up!

I am okay with it though. Please correct me if I am wrong but here is my thinking.

She slept for 7 months completely fine. Then sickness and teething threw her off. I still think something is off with her. Maybe growth spurt or teething still but she IS hungry. I feel horrible for putting her through 2 nights already. I know she knows how to sleep thru but something is waking her.

If it was a comfort thing then I don't think she would nurse as long as she does.

So for now I have put a rocking chair in her room and I will continue to get up and nurse her as much as she wants. She is itty bitty and if she wants to eat I am going to let her.

I appreciate the help and will apply it, just not right yet. It just didn't feel right

Expert Forum User

It's all about what works for you mama! If you're not ready then it just isn't the right time! I personally think it shows so much dedication and character to keep following your baby's needs. If it's not causing you to be unhappy there is no need to change a thing.
    FWIW my DS always slept *terribly* when his teeth were coming in. Part of me wonders if his sleeping through the night now isn't mostly because he's got all the teeth he's gonna get for a little while.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Thanks jenelen I do feel so much better.

I am not sure if it was a fluke or what but she was only up once last night. She went to bed at 7:30 , woke up at 1:45 and I sat with her in the chair and fed her (which I was happy about I was quite engorged) put her back down at 2am and she slept until 7am. I am not sure if my alarm woke her or not maybe she would have slept longer.

Expert Forum User

Do what works for you guys ..sounds like she is sleeping alittle bit more now....