Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Rant: How to ruin the experience of buying your first home

Ok so yesterday we went on our final walk through of the new house that we took pocession of today. Well to my surprise in the backyard the playground equipment was gone. The original owners took it with them when they moved. Well we figured they just forgot that it was part of the deal and in the contract. The only reason we agreed on the price was because the equipment was staying. So our agent called their agent, he never returned phone calls. We called our lawyer last night and left a message not to transfer any funds until this issue was figured out.

Well today our lawyer got on the phone with their lawyer and it was discovered that they had forged the legal contract by crossing off of their copy the playground equipment was included. Well little did they realize that is illegal and their real estate agent had a copy of the orignal as well as our agent and ourselves. So we gave them the option to put it back or bring down the sale price to our original offer. They declined both. So at 3pm (deal was to close by 5) we were still at a stand still. Eventually we had to pull out the big guns and threaten to sue, put leans on both houses and their fathers house since his name was on the deed, and they would also have to pay for all expenses. Yes this is all over a $2000 playground. Well when their lawyer contacted them, apparently they remembered suddenly that yes they had agreed to leave it behind, and they were over within 20 minutes putting it back together. BUT while there they decided that they were going to take the garage door opener with them WTF, people these items are listed on a contracts specifically, you can't just take what you want because you changed our mind.
    I am thankful that we have an awesome lawyer and truely cares about our well being in this deal (my moms best friend from highschool). We have the keys now, and our new neighbour let us watch them put the equipment back up from his back deck. So I guess it is all solved but OMG how can people seriously think that they can get away with this stuff? We actually changed the locks tonight on every door just incase they didn't turn over all the keys. This is totally poopy and ruined my experience of buying our first home.

Ok rant over, sorry so long, but sometimes you just got to get it out.

Aww, well congrats on your first home, and I am glad things got worked out! Some people are selffish and think they can get away with things, because its in fine print. Way to stick with it!!
    Mom of 2 and 2

That is awful Amanda.....I am glad though that it all worked out for you though. We are thinking about buying our first home and I am very nervous about it.

Banned

Well really it wasn't in the fine print, it was listed with the chattles. They were just thinking that we wouldn't fight for it, hello legal document, you forged it and lied about it. ok done ranting once again

Expert Forum User

Sorry you had so much trouble with your first house. But I'm glad it's all worked out now.

We had a similar problem with the people who bought our last house from us. They declined the home inspection and then when the basement leaked the week after closing due to a crack in the foundation (never happened when we were there, we knew nothing about it) they threatened to take legal action if we didn't split the cost of repairs with them. I wouldn't have done it except for the fact that I was 8 months pregnant and didn't want to deal with them anymore. Some people!!!!!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

That really stinks! It makes me mad just reading about it. I'm glad you stuck with it. Hopefully it taught them a lesson too.
    But just think, you won't care about this for long, but you have your new house now. And it's a beautiful house!!
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

That sucks Amanda! I'm glad it all worked out - way to stick it to them!

Expert Forum User

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, Amanda, but glad you stuck to your guns and got what was rightfully yours (or should I say, Carter's?!?)

Good luck with the new house!!! And congrats again!

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

How could you not know that's illegal? Morons. It's kind kind of sad to think that parents would do that to other parents. (I assume they're parents b/c they have play equipment in their backyard.)

Expert Forum User

What a pain in the butt. A friend of mine just bought a house with a hot tub that was stated to be in working order and when they moved in they discovered it had a leak. I really want to see this play equipment. It sounds impressive! Congrats on your new home by the way.

Way to stick to your guns and get it back!!
    Congrats on the house!

Congrats on the house, and way to stick up for yourself!! Good for you!

I am so sorry you went through all of this! How awful! I simply cannot get over some people and their attitude/behaviour/lies! Happy to hear it's been resolved. Good for you for changing the locks! I would have done the same thing! Btw, congrats on your 1st house. I just bought my 3rd one and moved in recently as well (it better be our last for a # of years though!). Luckily, we have had no problems with the former owners (the woman is actually a very good friend of the neighbour a few houses down and is still over there once in a while. My husband has spoken with her once since we moved in and she wanted to make sure everything was ok with the house! how nice really)
    Good luck to you in your new home and I am sure your son is going to have a load of fun on his new playground equipment!

Kendall

Banned

Way to stick up for yourselves and teach those people that a contract is a contract! Congrats on your new house, sorry the experience was somewhat ruined for you - you'll forget about it in a couple of days and you will still have a great new house!

boo to the old owners!

god, what agent would aid them in forging the contract??!! What a shady deal!!!

Did you at least have your extreme makeover home edition style megaphone when you watched them put the equipment back together?? ("2 days, people, 2 days! Let's bring our family home!!") LOL...
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast