Default New school experience

Need advice from senior school moms who may have encountered a similar experience ....

I just met my son's new jk teacher today. I've heard some mixed things about her and was a bit surprised when I did meet her today. I had pictured her different. She seemed nice enough but I wasn't terribly impressed with the creativity of the classroom, found it a bit lacking.

At the moment though, I am totally freaking out! I was just talking with a neighbour whose son had her and from what she just told me I want to go to the principal and demand a change. Apparently, she screams at the kids all the time and simply can't handle little kids. Why the school keeps her is unknown. Personally, I feel like talking to the principal and demand a change. I heard the other Jk teacher is very popular and good.

I teach my child to stand up for himself using his words and expressing his feelings. On the other hand he is very sensitive and I am really worried about this upcoming year. I fear a big backlash from the teacher and I SO wanted him to have a really positive experience.

My husband is trying to calm my fears rationalizing that this a challenge to embrace and not fear the worst.

What is your advice?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

one parents expiernce is not gonna be anothers, another thing to keep in mind with kk/sk kids is that what they may percieve as "yealling" is actually a loud tone the teacher may use to get the kids to listen but too many parents only talk to thier kids and never ask the teach whats up.

[{quote]from what she just told me I want to go to the principal and demand a change.[/quote]

I dont tthink the prinicpal would even consider giving you a new teacher based on rumors

Zoo

I wouldn't worry about the classroom decor right now. I was talking to my dd's teacher about that just this week and she said she prefers to start of very plain because if the walls are too busy it's distracting for the children! She says as the year goes on the walls fill up with the kids' creations.

As for the rumour, it's one person's experience, right? So take a deep breath and cross your fingers that that person is wrong. If you can, volunteer your time in the classroom so you can get a first-hand look at what goes on. Talk to your son after class every day and ask him lots of questions (just make sure you aren't leading him to give you the answers you're expecting, you know?)...if you run into problems, you can deal with them then. You never know, she and your son might just hit it off and you'll be glad he has her as a teacher!

Expert Forum User

Until she gives you a reason to change, leave it. She might be great for your son.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

I agree with pps.

Let your son show u whether she's a problem or not.

girlsmum

Talking

As for the rumour, it's one person's experience, right? So take a deep breath and cross your fingers that that person is wrong. If you can, volunteer your time in the classroom so you can get a first-hand look at what goes on. Talk to your son after class every day and ask him lots of questions (just make sure you aren't leading him to give you the answers you're expecting, you know?)...if you run into problems, you can deal with them then. You never know, she and your son might just hit it off and you'll be glad he has her as a teacher!

Above quote by Zoo..................I agree, if you can volunteer, you can present yourself as a parent who is very involved in every aspect of her child's life. During Vicky's years at the school I got to know many of the students who went up grades with her and I was kind of a regular at the school, so when communication happened in grade 6 from Vicky AND other students in her class that there was too much yelling and denegrating, I went to the teacher as their advocate and advised her that if I heard one more complaint, the principal would be advised, then the school board. I am known as a bit of a boatrocker when it comes to kids, there are many people who teach who should NOT, but don't let that alarm you.

If you can volunteer, that would help?............if not, a great idea.........speaking to your son daily, just initiate the "how did school go today?", keep an open mind for the responses, if your son becomes withdrawn by the question?.............watch for that or other emotions that don't match his usual personality. A child so young cannot contain duress, you as his mother will know. Your son might wind up having up the greatest year indeed, and plse feel free to post on the *what great thing happened to your child in school*, I watch the posts at least twice a day and post happies for them, I'll keep that up at least until Christmas for parents to acknowledge and rant a great day, all stickers and stamps count!LOL!

Good luck, plse don't worry!!