Default I Am About To Lose My M I N D !!!!!!!!

Ok...so 2 Year Olds Whine...i Get That. But It Is Getting Out Of Control! My Daycare Provider Insists He Does Not Whine There...same With Babysitter And Mil For That Matter. I've Even Noticed He Whines Only 1/2 As Much With Hubby.
    It Is To The Point Now That He Whines First And Asks Nicely Second. Seriously This Air Pollution Is Killing My Ears. Please...tell Me It Stops Soon. Have I Inadvertantly Done Something To Perpetuate This Horribly Annoying Behaviour? I Am Consistently Asking Him To Use His Normal Voice, But Even When He Is Just Asking For A Drink...he Whines The Question. Anything Work For You To Minimize This Or Do I Just Have To Grin And Bear It Until It Passes?
    C
    They are my favorite people in the world!

Expert Forum User

I have no advice but DD is going through the same thing. I just thought it was because of the baby coming. But maybe not! Their version of the terrible twos perhaps??? We should get them together so they can whine to each other!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

what shows does he watch on TV?

I noticed calliou and some other shows makes kids whine more

your also right it could be the new baby coming

try simply ignoring him till he asks nice dont correct him or tell him use the normal voice let him do it on his own

I totally agree with the Calliou thing, I don't let my 2 year old watch that show ever because he use to whine until I sat down and realized that that is all calliou does until he gets his way. Now it is just the 'baby' talk that we have to work on.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Default ugh

I don't think I could ignore it and let him correct it on his own...I mean I am open to try anything at this point. But, do you think he actually knows what he is doing is wrong??? It strikes me that he has picked this up somewhere??Or is this just a natural 2-3 yr old thing. I don't know, maybe I am WAY off. I do not profess to have the 'perfect' child...by any means....just read the post... But, other than this he is so polite and fun!

And yes, maybe letting them whine to each other would do it...however, he only seems to do it with me...ugh! haha

ps- I have also heard this about Caillou (he has never watched it though). He is only interested in Sesame street (to see Cookie Monster) and Thomas the Train.

Hmm, not there yet with my ds, but I have read that children will learn to behave certain ways with particular individuals differently. It could be that he knows he can get away with it with you. Or it could be he feels comfortable with you and therefore is more himself. Maybe there is something bothering him that he can't express?? The fact that he knows to be polite and does it second leads me to believe there is an underlying issue here. Hope you get things resolved.

What about praising him and thanking him for asking questions properly and not whining. In other words catching him doing something right?? Lay it on real thick "Thank you sooo much cameron for asking mommy in a big boy voice or properly"
    Or tell him a few times when you ask mommy like that ( when whining) I don't hear you. I can hear your proper big boy voice. It's planned ignoring and it's painful until it kicks in but worth it in the end.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Default thanks

Thanks Cari...that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. C

Expert Forum User

I have a whiner, too, though I think he learned it from his older brother. He, too, doesn't bother to ask nicely first - just goes straight to the whine. I have heard there are some good books out there about ending the whining, but I haven't picked one up yet.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Are you sure you're not talking about my little guy? Thats sounds just like him. He whines a fair bit and I think in his case its partially because we have the new baby in the house and I'm sure I give in more than I should since I"m trying to keep him happy and baby quiet while my husband sleeps days since he works nights.

I just figured it was a phase but after reading these posts I will not be letting him watch Caillou and I will try the advice from Cari.

Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to thank you for posting the question!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!