Default New to Scrapbooking

Ok ladies I know some of you are scrapbooking pros, well I have decided that I am doing to try my hand at it. But know nothing about it. I went to Michaels and book an actual scrapbook, i bought some paper (card stock, i think?) and some little stickers. What else do I need in order to make this scrapbook awesome??? Also does anyone know how to post pictures on London moms so that I can show you what I've bought so far. Any helpful tips and advice would be great. TIA

Expert Forum User

I find a paper trimmer handy... I didn't have one for the longest time and I love it. I know a lot of people use Creative Memories tape runner for mounting, but when I started the only adhesive I had was acid free glue which worked fine. I started out using lots of stickers but now I don't use many. A set of rubber stamps is good for titles and a black, acid free marker or pen.
    So I guess my suggestions would be:

black or brown marker of pen ( I find these two colours got used the most.)
    glue stick
    paper trimmer

I find sometimes the simplest pages, using few materials, are the nicest. ( I like the book Designing with Simplicity for ideas). I also think it's easiest to make a page that focuses on a single picture. Good luck!

I would recommend a:
    trimmer
    adhesive - tape runner or something like that (I don't like glue stick because I don't want glue stick on the front of my pictures...which I would probably do!)
    black pen
    look online for ideas

I don't use stickers often anymore either. To make it awesome all depends on what you like...have you looked online at other people's pages. Certain things (embellishments) you can buy premade and use on a page etc.

Expert Forum User

I say my top three are:

1. Trimmer most definitely (I love my Making Memories magnetic precision trimmer ... not sure how much it is... I won it as a prize)
    2. white pen (I use white more than any other colour... I love doodling)
    or black or brown
    3. adhesive (it is really personal preference here if you ask me)

Typically I don't use stickers.... I like to add other embellishments though. And apparently I like to cut things out and add them... so I was told today.. most of my layouts have something cut out. I didn't realize this.

As far as need to make it look awesome... well again that is personal preference... I scrapbook one way and I don't expect other to scrapbook the same .... because my represents me not someone else. I think anything done from the heart is AWESOME!

I have some of my pages on my blog... I really need to update it.
    My Craft Room Creations
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

For sure a paper trimmer and some sort of adhesive, I use the creative memories tape runner. I wouldn't trust myself not to get glue stuck on the front of my pics either LOL
    I use embellishments, brads etc, a lot more than stickers

Have fun! It seems overwhelming at the start, but once you get going, and sort of figure out your 'style' everything comes together easily!

Expert Forum User

Annie, I love your pages! They are absolutely gorgeous!
    I should clarify...I don 't prefer glue stick for pics, but it is a much cheaper alternative to tape runner. I used it for years prior to getting a tape runner. I love my tape runner but I go through it sooo fast so I switch it up with a glue stick.

Expert Forum User

I pm'd you

Expert Forum User

Definitely get a paper trimmer. I found scrapbooking so time consuming before I got one. Any type of acid-free adhesive will work. Some people use the tape runners, others use double-sided tape, others glue (although glue can get messy).

There's a bunch of great sites that post layouts for inspiration. Honestly, don't re-invent the wheel... if you see a layout that you like just try to re-create it with what you have. I have a bunch of layouts in my blog... the address is in my signature. I also go to these sites to get ideas: www.scrapjazz.com, www.scrapbook.com, www.splitcoaststampers.com, www.twopeasinabucket.com
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

You should join us at our scrapping evenings Tues from 6-8 at East London Library(on dundas just east of clarke). Always looking for more scrappers to come out and play!!

I run crop nights at Rowntree Church. Saturday Nights.

Lots of Space, Equipment, Refreshments and Snacks. Scrap Artist on hand to help you on your layouts! Enjoy a relaxing and fun night out with the girls! Carisa
    When: October 9 & 30(7-11pm)

Where: 156 Elliott St

Cost: $10.00/space

RSVP: 519-642-4646

or scrapmommy3