Thread: Pin worm

Expert Forum User

Default Pin worm

I had a friend and her 3yr old over today and my friend told me that her little one's half brother has pin worm. I am just wondering if anyone knows how contagious it is, as my little one still puts everything in her mouth. My friends little one doesn't show any signs of having it but was only exposed a couple days ago. TIA
    Last edited by planejane; 01-18-2010 at 04:41 PM.

I don't want to worry you, it really isn't a worry if children get pinworm BUT it is very contagious. I know baby is only a year old but if you can work some garlic into her diet that will help keep parasites away.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Expert Forum User

my son had them in October. OMG It was horrible. Thankfully he was the only one that had them but everyone was treated (2x) just in case. It is VERY contagious I think the reason he was the only one because our kids are older and do not put things in their mouths

Expert Forum User

They treat the whole family when one person gets it (btdt) as yes, it is very contagious. You can 'inhale' the eggs as well as ingest them, so just b/c you don't "put things in your mouth" doesn't mean you are immune to it. If your child crawls into bed with you, for example, the eggs could be transferred to your sheets. They recommend washing all the sheets and towels in hot water after one family member is diagnosed with it.
    Last edited by Liisa; 01-18-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

Also if they treat the pin worm the same as they used to the medicine is pretty yucky. It is like drinking RED PAINT. BLECH!!!!

My DD got it many years ago. We could not figure out where she got it from. She and i treated for it even thogh i did not have it and she got it back. Funny enough the doc concluded that it came from our kiddie wading pool where all the little neighbourhoof little ones waded. So gross.
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User

the kids took the liquid meds (caramel flavored) and they all took it well lol. Hubby and I took pills. The pills made me REALLY sick (8 pills about the size of prenatal vits ) and they did not sit well. The second dose 2 weeks later i took 2 pills than a few hours later 2 more ext. It was not as bad the second time

Expert Forum User

We were at my families cottage when a friends daughter was diagnosed with pinworm... the kids had been together for three days - sleeping, eating and playing. I treated them all (inc. all the adults) washed all the surfaces and bedding in hot - basically disinfected the entire cottage and no one else got them. That said, if your friends LO gets pinworm I'd treat your child too.