Expert Forum User

Default Dolls for little ones

Just wondering when your LO got her first doll. Which one is a good choice for baby? I have to keep reminding myself that DD is still a baby herself and doesn't need a doll, but I keep wandering down that row anyways and keep finding them on clearance, so I'm thinking of putting one away for Christmas.

So, what age is good for a doll?

What do you think of Baby Stella? The Little Mommy dolls by Fisher Price?

Expert Forum User

Both of my girls got their first dolls when they were born, small soft dolls with stiching for eyes and such. I've seen them at Bonnie Togs, the girls still love them.

Now that they are older they both love cabbage patch dolls.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Cabbage patch kids. LOL
    They both got them at about 2.
    But there are smaller soft cabbage patch babies that are cute too.

my DD got her 1st baby when she was born and has been playing with hugging and kissing it since she was about 9mths cutest thing ever

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

mine have had dolls since they WERE babies themselves!
    one born in april, the other in august, and i know for certain they each had one by their first christmases!
    i don't think any child is ever too young for a doll, so long as its a safe, appropriate choice..
    i like the soft small ones for the younger .. something machine washable and durable, ideally without anything that can be pulled off and choked on.
    my one they each had a cabbage patch doll of some version!
    if they're on clearance now... why wait till christmas?just get her one anyway!

i love the way even the youngest babies hold and carry their dolls like mommy carries them! shows us they really are learning from us!
    why not encourage her nurturing nature from the beginning?
    (or his for that matter, i know you posted about a girl..but other moms may be reading who have boys too.. and idon't think there is anything wrong with a boy having a doll to love too!)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by medaevalmom View Post
    mine have had dolls since they WERE babies themselves!
    one born in april, the other in august, and i know for certain they each had one by their first christmases!
    i don't think any child is ever too young for a doll, so long as its a safe, appropriate choice..
    i like the soft small ones for the younger .. something machine washable and durable, ideally without anything that can be pulled off and choked on.
    my one they each had a cabbage patch doll of some version!
    if they're on clearance now... why wait till christmas?just get her one anyway!

i love the way even the youngest babies hold and carry their dolls like mommy carries them! shows us they really are learning from us!
    why not encourage her nurturing nature from the beginning?
    (or his for that matter, i know you posted about a girl..but other moms may be reading who have boys too.. and idon't think there is anything wrong with a boy having a doll to love too!)
    It's the nurturing part that I kind of want to hold off on--thought I would give her a doll when we are expecting #2, so she can learn all about babies. She does have 2 little soft Carter's dolls now, but I am looking at the ones that have all the accessories!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

heck they are never to early for a doll!! Corolle dolls have great ones for babies. You can find them at both the Toy Shoppe and Scholars Choice.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Our little girl has had a peppa bonding doll - just a soft hand sized doll since she was 6mths or so and still carries around this “baby doll“ a lot.

She has also had a sock monkey that she has similarly loved from an early age.

Since she turned one she has received a doll for her birthday and another two for Christmas from family and she loves them all hugging them and lugging them around with her (however I had specifically asked for a truck and it would have been nice to have received one instead of an additional doll)

She even treats none doll items as dolls - we have some soft bowling pins with faces and they get wrapped up in little pieces of cloth and treated as “de - de“ dollies
    Mom to Bridget, born October 2008

I bought a cabbage patch doll for my DC little girl - she just turned 2 - and she never really plays with it - I think it's becase it's so big for her.

I bought her and DS those small baby cabbage patch dolls that have a plastic face, but it's soft and they both LOVE those ones.

I made some other rag doll 'babies' with weighted arms and legs and those are the other favorites over the plastic bodied ones.

Expert Forum User

Em got her first doll before she was 1 - it giggled when you squeezed it's belly

Her first “real“ baby came when she was one - it was the Little Mommy doll by Fisher Price and she loved that doll - unfortunately for Em, her little brother decided that he wanted to have her baby last year. So now the original baby is Logan's (and he sleeps with it and will ask for it and dress it) and I went and got Em a new Little Mommy doll but dressed as a Mermaid
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Expert Forum User

DD got a Fisher Price “My first doll“ for Christmas. It's cute and really soft to the touch. Of course, she is still learning to even hang on to things, let alone like a doll, but she seems to enjoy looking at it