Default Any tips or products?

A friend of mine gave me a great captains bed for DS, mattress included. It's been set up for a week now, the only problem is it came from a smoking household. I didn't even give a thought to the fact that it might smell. The bed stinks up the bedroom, has anyone tried to get a smoke smell out of furniture before? I've fabreezed the mattress and set it outside for the day. I think I'll wipe down the bed with mr Clean for lack of a better idea..... Does anyone know of a good product i might use on the bed, it's wooden, or something better then fabreeze?
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

Other then the mattress, have you Pledged the hell out of it yet? I'm wondering if the lemony smell from the product might help. Just a thought.

Wait, maybe this? When a car goes back into the dealership they have products that definately get rid of the stench your talking about. If nothing else works, why not call or stop in and see what they say. They may have a special spray they could give you.

San

Is it the bed itself, or the mattress? I would suggest replacing the mattress first and then seeing if it still smells. Things you can try: Baking soda and water to wash down the bed or diluted vinegar (make sure to wipe it off dry as the bed is wooden), baking soda all over the mattress and let it sit overnight, vaccuum it up the next day. There are many things out there that will work...for a few minutes (smelly air freshening products). Baking soda or vinegar are great odour absorbers. As is charcoal...but I can't think of a way you could try that with a bed

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Vacuum the mattress too, suck the smell out of it. There's not a whole lot you can do but wait, and air it out. I hate getting stuff from my parents and in-laws because it always smells like smoke.

Zoo

Ugh, I remember trying to help someone with this a couple of years ago and it's HARD!

Here's some info I've found:

The Fabreeze Controversy
    When confronted with any odor on furniture, curtains, or bed linens, the natural thing to do is reach for a deodorizer such as Fabreeze. Some argue that this simply masks the odor temporarily and it will return as soon as the spray product evaporates. There have also been reports of breathing problems associated with the use of fabreeze and other deodorizers. Others swear it doesnít work anyway. It just turns the odor into a disgusting blend of smoke and the great outdoors. If the odor your battling is very weak, itís worth a try. If itís strong then donít even bother. Get it Steam Cleaned
    Cigarette smoke smell in fabrics emanates from tar ash and oil deposits left in itís fibers. In order to remove the smell, you need to remove these deposits. Unfortunately, when cigarette smoke condenses onto something, the resulting Ďgooí is very, very stubborn. If youíve ever cleaned (scraped) this residue off of glass or painted walls you know exactly how stubborn it can be Ė imagine that same goo stuck in every fiber of the piece of furniture you wish to clean. The bottom line is that household cleaners just wonít cut it, hire some professionals to come and clean it for you. Make sure they use a van-mounted steam cleaner and tell them exactly what your objective is so they can use the appropriate cleaning solution. Low Budget?
    Completely cover the piece of furniture youíre cleaning with baking soda and then rub it and pat it into the fabric so it gets as far into it as possible. Let it sit overnight and then vacuum it all back up. Get Rid of it
    This is not meant to be flip, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. When cigarette smoke gets deeply enmeshed into the fabric of an ex-smokers favorite couch, there may be nothing that will ever get it out. Unless you enjoy reupholstering furniture, you might just have to throw it away. Better yet, sell it to a smoker.
    (from: http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/od...e-smoke-smell/ )

some more ideas:
    http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=7713
    http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/647584/
    http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/43501.html

Some of the hints were to encase the mattress in plastic, (which given that your guy is little might just be a good idea anyway ), use pure lemon oil on the wood, and get the smell out of the room by putting out cut raw onion. Then you can post and ask us how to get the smell of raw onion out of the room...

I was given 2 dressers that came from a smoked in house. I found that TSP, Spray 9 and soap work well. I would clean it with TSP then rinse it with water for a couple days. When the smell was getting better I would do it once a week. Eventually the smell does leave the furnature. On the other hand even if you can get the smell out of the mattress because it isn't a hard surface the chemicals from the cigarettes will still be in the mattress I would buy a new one so your LO isn't sleeping with cigarette chemicals.

I agree - you'll probably need a new mattress.

It's tough. My parents smoked all my life...and still do. So I refuse to take any furniture, especially fabric-covered items, from them. The smell will never come out of most things. Even when I pick something up from my parents' house, like a book, I have to air it out for a few days before the stink starts to dissipate.

Good luck!

Thanks for your tips everyone ...I washed the bed with pinsol and stuffed bounce sheets in the drawers for awhile. On his next overnight at Grandma's (hopefully this weekend!) I'll cover the mattress in baking soda ......if that doesn't work I'll definetly replace the mattress. I've also read on the internet people resorting to sealing the wood in with a shelak (sp?) because the smoke smell just won't leave. Several times I also read cinnamon was reccomended to spread all over or wash with.....who knew

Zoo

What really freaks me out is when we come back from the inlaws I can smell it in everything we brought up there -- even if it wasn't worn or anything -- and no one smokes in the house while we're there. Ick. So glad I quit.

My parents both smoke & it's the same way when we go there. When my DD was a newborn we lived in an apt. & didn't have our own washer & dryer so my mom would take my laundry home & do it for us. I hated to be rude, but I had to ask her to put the clean laudry right into a clean garbage bag & tape it shut. I could smell the smoke on my freshly cleaned laundry. And that wasn't really the way I wanted my newborn to smell. I was very polite about asking her, & let her know I appreciated it. A co-worker of mine told me I was rude for asking her to do that. Anyway I've heard baby powder can help soak up oudors too. That's what I did with the dresser from my parents place.
    Sarah, Mommy to Lindsay October 8, 2003, Logan November 23, 2006 & Cohen September 18, 2010

It's amazing how the smoke smell permeates everything. This same family has given DS a gift the last two years at christmas and the whole package stinks. The wrapping paper, box, and gift ...alll smells like smoke sitting under the tree.

As I grew up in a smokey house, I often wonder how I smelled to people when I was little. Since smoking was more common in the 70s and 80s, maybe people didn't notice as much. But I must have reeked!

My parents also don't smoke in the house when we visit, but 45 years worth of smoke permeates every inch of that house. We still smell when we leave and have to wash everything. I can't even imagine what it's done to my parents' "insides"!!