csl2063

Question Why do you scrapbook?

I just wondered ...

- Why do you scrapbook?
    - What do you do with your scrapbooks?

Expert Forum User

I have been scrapbooking for years but have very little completed. I scrapbook simply for the creative pleasure. I love looking through my photos and deciding which are my faves, and how they could tell a story. To me, I think it will be a wonderful keepsake for my children, grandchildren and myself to look back upon and remember special events and life's treasured moments. I do not scrapbook everything, in fact the opposite really. I want to keep my books simple and tell a story. Most of my pictures are in albums, it is a special few that make it into a scrapbook. For instance, although I took at least 100 pictures Christmas morning (yes, I know OCD!) I would only scrap one or two double layouts a year. I hope that one album will be enough for the children's entire childhood of Christmas', and that when we bring it out on Christmas Eve each year, there will be wonderful times to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by lila's mum View Post
    I took at least 100 pictures Christmas morning (yes, I know OCD!)
    You and I would get along just fine! I LOVE photos! Assuming you have a digital, do you print the best ones, and then of best do you pick the amazing ones for scrapbooking? I've often thought about doing this, but not sure where to start.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack!
    ~LBG

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lbg77 View Post
    You and I would get along just fine! I LOVE photos! Assuming you have a digital, do you print the best ones, and then of best do you pick the amazing ones for scrapbooking? I've often thought about doing this, but not sure where to start.
    OMG don't get me started!!! I get so excited when I start talking about photos...! I think it was best summed up when a lady I work with saw my huge pile of pictures I was sorting and said, "I thought you had a digital." Haha, yep, and the pile that she saw was about a third of the pictures that were actually taken at that event/photo shoot! LOL They were the pictures I had selected as my best! (I had that many!) The trick for me is to develop and sort right away. I put into piles pictures for DS and DD 's albums and one for scrapbooking. The one's for scrapbooking I put into an envelope and label what my page idea is. I figure as long as I keep current with that organization, it won't REALLY matter how fast I actually scrapbook. I'm guessing that once the kids are all in school full time and I am home, there MAY be more of an opportunity to work at it, as I am home many days through the week. If that's not the case, there is always later when they move out!

Did you see in "Gatherings" that a LM booked a library room once weekly for the month of September. I think I'll check that out.

Expert Forum User

I love arts and crafts. I love photos. I don't paint or draw much anymore so I consider scrapbooking my artistic outlet. I really enjoy doing it. The scrapbooks just sit on the shelves and I don't really need to do as much as I have, but like I said, I just enjoy doing it so much. I think my girls will enjoy looking at their books as they get older. Reese has looked at hers a few times since she was quite young and loved it. She likes to look at photographers. For babies I find it much better than a baby book. I made a baby book for Reese and found it a bit silly and constricting with the fill in the blanks. I will just be using a scrapbook for Zoe to serve a dual purpose- scrapbook and baby book.

Expert Forum User

Why do I scrapbook?
    I started quite a number of years ago. It wasn't as much the artistic side of things (I never considered myself very artsy - BUT loved crafts!) BUT I LOVE photos! I love sitting and looking at albums again and again! I started scrapbooking well before my DD arrived, sometimes for me (usually trip albums) or gifts for other people - (I did a sister one for my sister at Christmas). When I was pregnant, I was so excited that I would have an important album to do and thought I would get so much done when I was on maternity leave - HAHAHA, certainly woke up from THAT dream! I hardly ever get time to do it, but buying the supplies is addictive for me!!

"I thought you had a digital." Haha, yep, and the pile that she saw was about a third of the pictures that were actually taken at that event/photo shoot! LOL They were the pictures I had selected as my best! (I had that many!) The trick for me is to develop and sort right away. I put into piles pictures for DS and DD 's albums and one for scrapbooking. The one's for scrapbooking I put into an envelope and label what my page idea is. I figure as long as I keep current with that organization, it won't REALLY matter how fast I actually scrapbook.
    That is SUCH a good idea! I was keeping up with printing the pictures (and yes, I have a zillion that were printed from a digital camera as well!) BUT I never put the ones aside that I wanted to scrapbook. DD is now just over 2 and I'm having a hard time going back in her first year to decide which ones to do. I should really start doing what you've described! To make it even worse, I got my mum into scrapbooking quite a few years ago, she started working at a scrapbook store so got tons of new ideas and techniques, and now she's retired and she accomplished SO much of both my DD and my nephew. I'm SO jealous (but still love looking through her creations!)

Sorry, that was long-winded!
    What do I do with my scrapbooks?
    Usually they are on a special shelf that I pull down from time to time or show my family. Others as I mentioned were gifts (so I go to their house and look through them - haha!)
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

I got hooked on scrapbooking when I hosted a Creative Memories party for my friend who had just started being a consultant for them. I have to admit I thought she was nuts but wanted to support her. I thought I'd have the show and that was that, boy was I wrong. Seven years later, still at it; long after she stopped being a consultant I might add!!! I'm artistic by nature and scrapbooking is a wonderful outlet for me. I love building a story so that hopefully my grandkids etc etc will learn about me and their history. I love creating books for friends and family. My best friend started to cry when I made one for her a couple of years ago; I made another for a friend for her new baby, all she has to do is insert the pictures and do the journalling. I love it. It is my passion. My husband is super supportive, he collects things to show me to see if they are scrapbookable! And most of the time he looks the other way when I spend too much on supplies.

My books are on our living room shelves and they are looked at often. Malcolm loves to see them and ask where he is!! My only regret is not being able to scrap as often as I like. I am so far behind, I am doing my wedding layouts now, that was 2003 and 2007 is fast winding down. Oh well! Love to Scrap!!!
    Lori, Momma to Malcolm and Ben

I became addicted after going to a CM party also (about 7 or 8 years ago). I have long since strayed from CM style. I scrapbook because I enjoy it and it's my time without kids (usually only attend one crop a month). I have family scrapbook and scrapbooks for each of my kids. With dd I started a mini (because it was given to me) scrapbook with the wallet size pictures of her studio portraits, but I haven't kept that up.

ETA: I don't have a shelf currently in our house for my scrapbooks (unfortunately) but I do pull them out and show them to dd.

I have always done something crafty or artsy since I was a kid. I used to do a lot of beading, drawing, cross stitch, some sculpture etc. Now that I am a mom, I have no real to do all those things. Scrapbooking lets me do two things I love: crafts/art and my kids! I love to make new pages and show them to DH after to see what he thinks. Jack loves looking at his baby album that I made.

I am planning on (DH's request) doing a scrapbook of the family, one per year. So each scrapbook will be a certain year, and we will have them on a shelf for people to look at when they visit, or just for us to look at.

I am excited that DH is playing hockey tonight, because that means it is time for me to scrap! I just need a better set up to do it, rather than dragging everything out and sitting on the floor at the coffee table. Maybe we need a bigger house so I can have a scrapbooking room. Ha! Think I can convince DH on that one? Not likely, but maybe I can tell him its a guitar room too ...
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

Quote Originally Posted by barbi_rdh View Post
    I am planning on (DH's request) doing a scrapbook of the family, one per year. So each scrapbook will be a certain year, and we will have them on a shelf for people to look at when they visit, or just for us to look at.

I am excited that DH is playing hockey tonight, because that means it is time for me to scrap! I just need a better set up to do it, rather than dragging everything out and sitting on the floor at the coffee table. Maybe we need a bigger house so I can have a scrapbooking room. Ha! Think I can convince DH on that one? Not likely, but maybe I can tell him its a guitar room too ...
    My DH had no problem with my taking over a room in the basement as my scrapbooking room. It is so wonderful to be able to take 5 min here or there to work on something because it doesn't have to be put away!!

And all my scrapbooks are in chronological order, one per year.

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra room to take over, unless I want to do it in the laundry room. So for now I guess I will just wheel out my cart to the coffee table. I need to buy a desk, that's what I need.

Another reason I scrap: a year and a half ago DH's grandmother died. I will never forget sitting around a table at MIL's house, looking at this giant pile of pictures, and all these family members there trying to figure out who was in the picture. DH's crazy aunt was writing on the back who she thought the people were, and I found two pictures, of the same baby on the same day with two different names on it that she wrote on. I do not want my kids to have to do that. If they are all labelled and organized and in an album they will know who was who and what was important to me.
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

So true. I remember sitting with my grandma a couple years ago with a pile of pictures, and she's trying to remember who the people are and they are her pictures!

Expert Forum User

I scrapbook because it gives me a way to showcase my favourite photos (and there are LOTS - I take about 500 pictures every month!) and I love that the finished product is so much more fun to look at than a regular album.

What do I do with them? They are on a special bookcase downstairs so anyone can take a look at them. I do one album for our family and one for each of our boys. I have 10 albums completed since 2003.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

I see I am not alone in my obsessive picture taking! 500 a month!! Yep that sounds about right actually! I was wondering where people like to develop their pictures. Is there one place that is better than others for archival quality, or is it pretty much the same. Have you noticed a difference in the clearity or paper quality depending on where you go? What about price? Lets face it...when you are developing large quantities a month, price counts too! Last question, do you ever wonder if the photo developing people think you need to get a life? (kidding!) (I'm self conscious sometimes when I go in a few days in a row!) tee hee.
    Last edited by lilabelle; 09-01-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Expert Forum User

It just seems like something that I've always been around. My Mom used to scrapbook when I was very little. I remember making a scrapbook with her when Princess Di got married. I don't even know if I was in school or not then. I took back up the hobby when I was about 14 (I'm almost 30). I think that I have a million albums. I became a SU consultant 3 years ago when I was making my wedding invites. I can completely understand about taking hundreds of pics a month... I know that it's going to get worse once our little one arrives. Thankfully we have digital.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!