Expert Forum User

Default I'm drying up :(

So for the last 5 days my milk supply had been dwindling away. I made an extra effort to eat and drink more and bought those two herbs...fenugreek and blessed thistle. I havn't noticed any difference since taking that 24 hours ago. what can I do to make it come in better...pumping all the time really isn't an option. It makes me sad...and for those of you who have switched to formula...how did you do it. My son hates the taste of it and cries, but will drink breast milk from a bottle....what is the best way to transition. I'm feeling a little blue for not being able to provide my son milk better.
    oh yah and for now I am feeding him from both breasts when he eats. I use to be able to pump 6 oz's from one breast, now I can't get to 3 from both

Expert Forum User

Pumping output is not an indicator of supply. As long as you are feeding on demand, it is VERY unlikely that you would simply dry up. Odds are better that it's a growth spurt (3 months is a pretty big one and 6 months is even bigger!). Also, just because you could pump a lot before, does not mean that now that you cannot that you cannot or are not producing enough for your little one. I can't pump anything at all most days but I have enough milk to feed 2 children and my breasts NEVER feel full and sadly, look rather flat most days

Things you can do to keep up your supply (besides hydration and possibly the herbs) are feed on demand, do not offer bottles (even with breastmilk), avoid artificial nipples (like soothers etc), try doing breast compressions before switching to the other breast. Also, don't assume that just because you are feeding on both breasts that there is an issue... I would be more inclined to assume that you had an overproduction issue in the first place and your body is now regulating (which happens right around the 12 week mark) to your baby's needs.

Can you explain why you think you're drying up? What are the other indicators? How often are you taking the herbs and in what quantities? Does your sweat smell of maple syrup?

Honestly, if you are doing those things and your baby is happy, healthy and growing (watch diaper output for enough wet/poopy diapers) then you are doing everything just fine!

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

well...mostly I feel like I am drying up because my bb's feel empty and flat and the pumping issue. One thing that makes it hard is that sometimes he cries and pulls away, but he is also having a acid reflux issue, so I am never sure if it is him getting fussy for not getting enough milk or he is in pain from the AR. I really hope my bb's are just feeding him for what he wants...It is so important for me to do this as long as I possibly can. I gave up so early with my DD, and honestly see this as a redemption, and it makes me feel like a great mom. I am taking 4 of the thistle and 2 fenugreek at every meal. Hmmmmmmmmmm....I do smell kinda sweet...yummmm. I am assuming this is because of the herbs...I was told I would smell...just didn't know it would smell good Thank you for any advice you can give me and have given me MilkyMama!!!

Expert Forum User

Eat as much steel cut oatmeal as you can tolerate; it will keep well in the fridge for about a week. And make sure you're getting lots of rest.
    Be confident, you can do this! It will come back.
    If you're looking for an excellent lactation consultant, there's Marg Lasalle with the public health unit. She will solve anything...I can't say enough good about her. 519-663-5317 x. 2326
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    Eat as much steel cut oatmeal as you can tolerate; it will keep well in the fridge for about a week. And make sure you're getting lots of rest.
    Be confident, you can do this! It will come back.
    If you're looking for an excellent lactation consultant, there's Marg Lasalle with the public health unit. She will solve anything...I can't say enough good about her. 519-663-5317 x. 2326

what is steel cut oatmeal???? K I'm off to google

ok where do i get them...at the normal grocery store???

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had the exact same fears when we went thru the growth spurts. I would go from feeling full and heavy to almost flat. Don't be alarmed - just continue drinking lots of water, eating well, resting whenever possible, and putting baby to breast as much as you can. Oatmeal is awesome for helping.

Limit caffeine and alcohol if you're not already.

Good luck! Cosleeping can help too.

Expert Forum User

Honestly? Everything you described sounds like classic growth spurt behaviours to me (incl the crying and pulling away). There is nothing greater you can do to ensure your supply than feed on demand. This will most certainly mean more frequent and possibly longer than “normal“ but I assure you, this is exactly as it should be.

Supply and demand baby, supply and demand!

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

Don't google. Go to the Superstore & find the President's Choice cylindrical blue container called steel cut oats. It'll run you about $4. It's a crunchier oatmeal than regular, but it's good. DH & I still eat it, though I'm not bf'ing anymore.
    Any oatmeal will help increase your supply, but steel cut is the best. The oatmeal to go bars are good when you're needing a snack.
    And also, if you're up for a bevvy, have a dark beer like Guiness right after you feed. That always helped me too.
    HTH!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

I'm going to agree with MM and say it sounds more like a growth spurt or your body regulating to me then drying up.

Back in the olden days when I still had a wee one to nurse - I'd actually start with one, go to the other, and end up back at the first one in one feed (and heck, sometimes end up at BB #2 again as well).

I was rarely able to pump more then 2 ounces with a new one unless it was in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning and by a year it was half that if I was lucky.

You're doing a great job

Expert Forum User

I woke up this morning and feel so much fuller. I am assuming the herbs have done something. It was so strange to go from always full to nothing tho I will tell you. Thank you ladies so much for helping me...I was close to giving up thinking he wasn't getting enough. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
    I woke up this morning and feel so much fuller. I am assuming the herbs have done something. It was so strange to go from always full to nothing tho I will tell you.)
    The herbs may have had something to do with it but feeling full again after feeling empty for a few days is consistent with a growth spurt as well - as it all works in a supply and demand sort of way and demand has been increased the past couple of days your body is finally catching up and often in fact I find that the demand then decreases and I'm left with rock hard leaky breast for a days or so

so glad that you were able to work through this!
    Mom to Bridget, born October 2008

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes, the few days after growth spurts are often like Dolly Parton Days for me too! It was always a relief after things had gotten so hard and I'd felt so empty.

Hope you're feeling better today. Keep drinking and resting.

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
    I woke up this morning and feel so much fuller. I am assuming the herbs have done something. It was so strange to go from always full to nothing tho I will tell you. Thank you ladies so much for helping me...I was close to giving up thinking he wasn't getting enough. Thanx
    Yea! Don't give up! Your doing great!
    Three busy boys and one lovely little lady!

The ladies have all given you some great advice.
    Keep it up Mama, you are doing a great job!

Milky Mama has (as usual) posted great information.
    Just on the feeling flat, I am nursing a 6 week old and I feel fairly flat most of the time. My daughter is gaining weight well and seems happy, so I don't think feeling flat is necessarily an indicator that anything is wrong.