Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Question Do I HAVE to drug her??

Haley had a fever last night and into this morning. It isn't extremely high (100-101) and she is AMAZING at coping with it. You wouldn't even know she has a fever without touching her.

So, I of course medicated her last night for bed and it came down a little and she slept fine, but this morning she seems fine even though her fever is at 100F.

What would you do? Should I just leave her and monitor closely in case it goes up more and let her body fight it naturally? I hate the idea of medicating if it really isn't needed.

I guess my question is more "what is the purpose of medicating a fever?"

Thanks for any imput.
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I only medicate a fever if my kids are lethargic or obviously very uncomfortable. Or if it's *high* or spikes suddenly. Otherwise, it's a lukewarm bath (which brings down their temp as it cools) and maybe some freezies and snuggles....

I would feel more comfortable with you asking, say, telehealth than truthfully relying on anything I am about to say. I was always told to bring down a high fever (to "break" it). I have been informed by ER doctors and nurses to keep a fever down, at all costs. I know a fever means the body is fighting something, and it's really good that she's coping well in spite of it, but having a fever go too high or last too long can cause febrile seizures sometimes.

Maybe fevers just scare me because of the advice I've received from the dr.'s? My son requires overlapping three different kinds of fever reducing medications, every time he has a fever. I am encouraged to do this to keep the fever down (the body is still fighting the infection, without the side effect of a high core body temp).

Again, take my experience as you will, and I would probably contact a health professional.

I'd use the same protocol that Zoo does (fevers are a way of fighting infections, so I'd leave the mechanism alone when possible). Thankfully neither of our kids has had a major enough fever, but if they did, I'd probably use a homeopathic remedy over typical over-the-counter meds..
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

I personally always do what I can to bring down the fever when over 100. However w/ my baby (now 20mths old) I have to over lap advil and tylenol every three hours even if it's just over 99, she gets febrile seizures, she had one when her fever was only at 101. AmyUnicorn.......... what 3 meds do you give? I only know of 2?????????? I'm terrified every time she gets a little fever now....... any extra info from parents that have had to deal w/ febrile seizures would greatly be appreciated............

But to Haley's mom........... if she has a fever for the 3rd day in a row I would get her checked out by a doctor........ in the mean time just try bringing it down w/ the cool baths, cool wash cloth on the forhead if she lets you lol........ and lots of popsicles, freezies and juice........... if that brings down the fever w/ out meds then that is all you need!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nichole

Expert Forum User

Thanks for everyones imput... I appreciated it all.

Haley has had some high fevers in her time and I have always medicated. However, this morning I see that she functions so well and I started questioning it. I am taking her temp every couple hours and it is creeping up VERY slowly. If it gets too high I will definately give her something. Sometimes I get a bit nervous though since she has a lower standing temp than the average person (like her mother )

She is resting right now watching Franklin with lots of water and Freezies. I guess it is gonna be a treehouse day! I had all kinds of fun plans for today too. DARN!
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

Expert Forum User

I just checked her and it went fro 99.9 to 101.6 in an hour and a half so I gave her something.

My next question... I gave her an Advil Chewable now that is supposed to last 6-8 hours. If it keeps going up, can I give Tylenol in there too before her next dose of Advil? I have never done that before, but this fever seems like it may need it.
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

Expert Forum User

Hi Laura,

You can give Advil and Tylenol at the same time or give Advil and then a couple of hours later give Tylenol if you want to stagger them. They contain different medications.

As for cool baths just be careful... if they are too cold than the body will shiver which will actually cause the body to increase it's core temp thus increasing the fever.

Hope Haley is feeling better soon.
    Jen

Yes, you can overlap. My Ds' fevers skyrocket about 1-2 hours before each brand is supposed to "wear off". I use Motrin, Advil and Tylenol for him.

Expert Forum User

Mortin and Advil are two different brand names for Iburprofen. They are the exact same drug. The generic store brands have the same medicinal ingredient too... just different fillers. Just an FYI.

My DD (and myself) too have low normal temps so I tend to medicate even a low grade fever. We had an "episode" when she was a baby (they aren't sure if it was a brief febrile seziure or not) but at any rate I do not want to experience a full blown one! I agree with PP that there is no real need to medicate a low fever but I tend to be a bit (ok, a lot) paranoid.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon!

My DS reacts slightly differently to each of those, and I would have never done the overlapping thing (with the two, or three different meds) without consulting a physician/nurse. I was given the ok, personally, to use this approach by an ER doctor, and also Telehealth. My ds doesn't respond to bringing the fever down by one, or even two of the medication - type approach. It isn't until the third dose hits that he reacts finally, and then I just rotate through them until he doesn't spike anymore.

My dd thankfully responds to one dose, of anything.

I still recommend asking professionals, I just offer my procedure based on our experiences.

Thx for the info about motrin and advil! That explains why they both work a bit better, and a bit longer for ds, than the tylenol.

Expert Forum User

LOL I just looked up the Motrin/Advil thing. Funny thing is, Haley can't take Motrin. She gets totally wired!

Haley has never had febrile seizures, but has had issues with petite mal ones. (which she seems to have grown out of) I myself had a bad febrile seizure as a child and my temp was not high at all. I ended up having Scarlet Fever. I often think of that when Haley gets a fever... I think that is why I worry so much.

Thanks again for all your imput. I put her to bed with only the Advil. Her temp was down to 99.8 again. I'll keep you posted.
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

When Kaitlyn has her fevers they (the ER) told me to give tylenol 3hours later ibuprofren(advil/motrin) 3hours later tylenol etc......... had to stagger it every 3 hours, otherwise it's a bit harsh on their belly's....
    Hope she's better soon! I would take her for a checkup on monday if she still has the fever though, most likely it's some type of infection then.
    Good Luck! (hugs)
    Nichole

Default fever

First of all let me say. as a mom, we have to make our own judgement calls and make our own decisions but here is my thoughts on this. Fever is always a good thing. It is the body's mechanism to fight off viruses and bacteria by raising the body temp. When you suppress it with meds, the body then can't do its job and thus the immune system is compromised. A fever of 101 is really not that high, infact, i don't medicate at all unless it is above 104 degrees. A lukewarm bath may help bring it down, cool cloth on the forehead or a cold pac. I have had great success with homeopathy for fever and kids. Try Belladonna in a 6ch potency, every 15 minutes until fever comes down. Works wonders when the remedy is correct. Don't fear fever, its a good thing for the body and in the end, the child will be stronger for it. Tylenol and Advil are very hard on their little livers as well. Unfortunately they are used to often. Again, i totally respect any mothers CHOICE but its important to know there are options and alternatives out there to medications. It is not the be all and end all when it comes to our kids.

Expert Forum User

Well, that has to have been the weirdest fever she has had yet! She slept for just over 2 hours and woke with NO FEVER at all!! Go figure! She had a touch of diarreha (sp?) last night, but it is gone today too. I just put her down for the night with a temp of 98.06.

Thanks again for all your support. I really liked hearing all the different approaches to fever and giving me options. I appreciate that every parent does things differently and that it is ultmately my choice and I thank you all for giving me things to think about.

Laura

~Lewis Hine~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast