Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default When selling your house is it normal......

Is it normal for them to ask to keep your curtains and your decorative mirrors on the wall?
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Anything that is tacked down is supposed to go with the house. But if they didn't ask for the curtains in the offer negotations, I think you take them. If they like them they can ask, but you don't have to agree.

Expert Forum User

When my Mom sold her house they asked for all the curtains and blinds, as well as her shower curtian!

When we moved into this house they left all the window treatments too

Expert Forum User

I guess they like them? lol when we bought our house they specified they're taking their curtain rod. I found it odd because it isn't something firmly attached right? I don't think its that abnormal to ask for curtains though

It's normal to ask for anything they might want. We had people ask for our portable air conditioner, mirrors and window coverings (that one is normal). We didn't end up selling to those people though. When we bought, we requested and got a BBQ and shed with our house.

Expert Forum User

My uncle is a real estate agent, he says it's pretty common for people to ask for curtians and blinds, and even encouraged us to ask for them when we bought. The decorative mirrors however is a new one to me. I've never heard of anyone asking for them before, but I supposed anything is possible. You don't have to agree to their request if you don't want to.

Expert Forum User

Our contract was to exclude curtains as they are fairly new. I got them for my birthday and they match our furniture.

When you say everything tacked down....so they want our family photo? The hall mirror, the dinning room mirror and my Santa pic.

When they came for inspection they asked for the curtains AGAIN! DH said no way. They were a gift. It was all I asked for. I am worried this is going to be an issue.
    moving sucks

we had our curtains asked for....I had no clue about that so we never asked in our offer (we put in an offer before we listed our house) so I had to buy for the house we bought

We left the curtains except our bedroom (changed it in our counter offer) as it matches our set and it was discontinued.

Expert Forum User

I am afraid the curtains will be a deal breaker......LOL. I searched high and low with 3 kids to find those and then another painful search for a couch with the same colour.
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Our contract was to exclude curtains as they are fairly new. I got them for my birthday and they match our furniture.

When you say everything tacked down....so they want our family photo? The hall mirror, the dinning room mirror and my Santa pic.

When they came for inspection they asked for the curtains AGAIN! DH said no way. They were a gift. It was all I asked for. I am worried this is going to be an issue.
    LOL, that's the language, but I don't think they actually want your Santa pic. Is it a really cute pic? Maybe you should check. But it would include light fixtures, blinds, toilet roll holders, etc.

Expert Forum User

It sure is a cute Santa pic....LOL. Anyway when we sign the final papers tomorrow I will make sure this is clear with all parties. Yikes I hate all this grown up stuff.
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

if I were you i'd take it as a HUGE compliment you must have a great decorating style.. wanna do my bedroom LOL...jk good luck on working out this last detail and selling soon.

Expert Forum User

ohhhh Mrs Sunshine I sure will do your room. I will just copy mine and cross my fingers you like what i choose.

I stayed with real neutral colours and i suppose it made it look really comfy
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User

Do they want those particular curtains or are they asking for all of them? It might just be that they want all window treatments so they don't have to pay to have all the windows 'covered' themselves. Maybe suggest you put something else up if you want yours (IF it's going to be a deal breaker and you want the house to go through ) And yes, it's supposed to be everything tacked to the wall but I regret not bringing DD's little decorative shelves etc as the house we moved in to, I'm sure they took theirs!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

I think it's pretty common to ask for window coverings and hardware in the deal. Most likely because they're already the right size for the windows and it saves the trouble of having to find new coverings when you move in.

We changed the hardware on one window when we were showing our house. It was a really expensive rod set and I really loved it and didn't want to keep it

Mirrors and stuff...I haven't heard of that as much but as pp's have said, they can ask for it (you just don't have to agree)
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast