Default Email or registered letter?

I need to communicate with my sons father about making a change to our 13 yr old court order. Currently I pay tax on my support and he gets to claim it on taxes. We did this because I had a very low income at the time and I would get more money monthly rather than using the tables for after tax dollars. Since I have gotten married I am paying taxes at my DH rate on the child support. I know that I am entitled to see his income tax yearly and to have support changed accordingly. What I want is for him to look at what he would have to pay after taxes based on his income now, which I am thinking is close to or more than he pays me, and to just sign the papers for Revenue Canada so that I will receive the same amount but not pay taxes on it. It would save both of us time and money dealing with court. I have written him a letter, including links to the child support tables and the document needed to change it. My question is can I send this by email, or does it have to be a registered letter?

Expert Forum User

Registered letter. To be honest, anything that would be official I would get a court person to deliver the letter for you. I think you can contact the sheriff for that too, but it costs money. GL, I hope it works out!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Registered letter would have the paper trail you would need to cover yourself. I would go that way, if I were you.

Expert Forum User

You can fax it also, this is how I communicate with my ex, you just keep the confirmation. You can ask the courts to change this yourself without his consent.

I know I can ask the court but I really want to just skip court. We have a really good relationship and dealing with court stresses that.

i have no experience with custody issues, but I don't think email is a good option to use as emails can be tampered with and altered.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by tailbouncer View Post
    I know I can ask the court but I really want to just skip court. We have a really good relationship and dealing with court stresses that.
    You don't have to go to a court date, just file the papers with a request, and a judge will change the order if he/she sees fit. Then they mail you a new court order.

I will go to court if he will not sign off on taxation. I will then ask for 1/2 of post secondary education and all transportation costs for visits. The man has it good, I want him to realize it by punching in his income and finding out that he actually should be giving me more and not getting the tax break. He has no other kids, he lives in Twin Lakes and has been working at Nova Chemicals since it was Polysar , about 25 yrs I think. I do not want more money I just do not want to pay taxes on it. Cheapest route for him is to just sign it, then explain to his wife and it be over. If he doesn't want to then we go to court. Which is why I am tempted to do it with an email,, less threatening, more friendly. The last time I filed anything with the court was when DS was born and that is how he found out he was a dad,, the sheriff at the door informing him that he had a son. It took us 5 really hard months of court, and a paternity test to get it sorted and then a long time of stress and anger over it. We are past it now and I am not in the mood to revisit that if I can avoid it, but I also do not want to lose $1800 a year in tax rebates for my family.

you could always hand give it to him with a police officer, that way you have a witness. I had to do this before

Expert Forum User

i would send a registered letter
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.