Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Computer PROBLEM!!! (Do we have a computer forum?)

I did look but could not find a computer forum. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot but dh is really needing some answers and of course, nearest place for that is many hours' drive away.
    ***If you even know a good online place to get a diagnosis, please pm me or answer in this thread.***thanks.

My husband's computer is having an issue. Here's the description I'm posting everywhere to try to find an update. We are many hours from the nearest store or technician so hoping someone online can diagnose this before we bother making a drive to try to save a ruined computer:

Started the computer and before it let him log in it said Windows Vista needs to update, press Ok recomended.
    Then it updated a bunch of stuff and scanned stuff for about ten minutes. It said a lot of stuff as it updated and three things that jumped out at him were "Updating tipped over tomatoe bin, updating garbage bin, updating tipped over garbage bins" which makes him worry it may have been a virus from Facebook's Farmtown just masquerading as a Vista update.

Now it won't let him on, and does not even get to the log in screen.

Now when he starts it itgoes to a screen that says 'start normally or look for repairs' (in computer lingo).Just after you start it and the status bar thingy appears at the bottom of the Dell/Windows screen, the computer flashes a blue screen too quickly to read and then restarts. It normally would do the status bar thingy and then go to the log in page, but now it goes to the 'start normally or perform repair' stuff.
    He has tried starting Windows normally but then it flashes to the blue screen for a second and then disappears and restarts.
    If you try the repair option it takes a while to do some searching for problems and a prior state when it could function normally and then says Startup repair can not repaire this computer automatically.Sending more info can help Microsoft create solutions. Then you can send or not send info, we've tried both. Under problem details it says:
    Problem Signature 01.. AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 02.. 6.0.600.16386.6.0.6000.16386
    Problem Signature 03.. 4
    Problem Signature 04.. 196611
    Problem Signature 05.. NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 06.. CorruptVolume
    Problem Signature 07.. 0
    Problem Signature 08.. 1
    Problem Signature 09.. Chkdsk
    Problem Signature 10.. 0osversion:6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Local ID:1033
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

??anyone?? He's so upset it's possibly ruined
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Sounds like whatever it was may have done some whammies on your hard drive. As the CHKDSK is trying to check the disk for being valid. Which is also known to the computer as being corrupted. According to the messages. The harddrive may be missing a set of important files at the moment.

I'm normally a computer person, but there is like millions of unknown variables that could be the cause. I have no clue as what you can get through facebook as it really does hook into the browser as well.

That corruption may be due to some virus, or it could be due to some deep operating system change that was stopped half way though. Perhaps during a defragmentation of the drive itself.

I am little use when it comes to this, as I just have an image of the computer and install a fresh version of it whenever some unknown thing happens.

Wish I could help more... and or be able to confirm the state of ruination for ya.

We don't know anything about Vista, unfortunately. This is usually when DH will do a format and reinstall...

Sorry this is not somthing you are going to be easly able to fix yourself at home, With your post above it will be hard to determin what caused the issue but I would be hard pressed to think it is facebook related. The best advice I can give is to reinstall windows you can also try repair, Hopfuly you have backed up your needed files on the hard drive, If not you will need to take it into a shop so that the files can be removed and windows can be reistalled. The worst case is that the hard drive will need to be replaced but that is not too expensive. I hope that helps abit.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds like the virus I had a bit ago -- see your previous thread..... computer guys thought mine was from facebook applications possibly as that was the only thing new...... We had a Trojan virus that our spywear and anti-virus could not fix. We took it to future shop.... since we had all our start up discs it was $100 to fix... much better that MDG (NEVER GO THERE)... three months prior they charged us almost $400 for the same thing.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Unfortunately with moving so often and basically being messy disorganized sorts of people, we have no Windows disks so even if we wanted to try reinstalling it (and lose all his info) we can't

I guess we'll have to go to Timmins this week, after I look up online to see if there's a store there.
    You mentioned Future Shop. What about Staples, woudl that be ok? Not sure what MDG is though, to avoid it.

I am almost positive there's a Staples in Timmins. I did read someone else's horror story there a few hours ago though. lol oh great. What are we in for!

Unfortunately yes, he will need the info from it. He put many many many hours into a program on there
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Banned

My DH could fix it if you had your tower here; he ran Windows VISTA.......HATES it with a passion. He's running Windows 7 instead. Your issue sounds familiar and I'd ask him to pm you if he was home, more likely call to talk your DH though some troubleshooting; that's what he does for a living. I'll check later on today to see if you've resolved the problem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Unfortunately with moving so often and basically being messy disorganized sorts of people, we have no Windows disks so even if we wanted to try reinstalling it (and lose all his info) we can't

I guess we'll have to go to Timmins this week, after I look up online to see if there's a store there.
    You mentioned Future Shop. What about Staples, woudl that be ok? Not sure what MDG is though, to avoid it.

I am almost positive there's a Staples in Timmins. I did read someone else's horror story there a few hours ago though. lol oh great. What are we in for!

Unfortunately yes, he will need the info from it. He put many many many hours into a program on there
    Sadly, computer shops are not in the business of ghosting hard drives and storing information, they'll do a wipe and reinstall(I'm not into computers but hear the stories). You're way better off to have someone you know go through the files you want and have them stored and reinstalled. I don't know what I'd do if I lost all my girl's pics but know I'm in good hands so I never worry about lost data.

Our last computer problem was my laptop a few years ago and a computer shop did get all the photos off of it for me to put onto cd's. It was a smalltime shop though, might be differently done there.

Luckily, all my photos are on my computer and it's his computer, which has internet and is for his gaming (mostly not online except his FB apps) so while he loses a lot of hours and work, it isn't photos....but still is stuff valuable to him kwim? A program he was working on for a year or more.

If your dh has any advice let me know. I'll take any!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Banned

PLEASE READ YOUR PM I SENT YOU!

Just did, and replied sorry if it was there a while, I didn't notice it til 8:27.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Banned

K...........replied back! We is home.