Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default For your taxes, where do you find the tuition info

Every year I get this letter in the mail saying how much unclaimed tuition I have left to claim. Last year I got it, and it was almost $10,000. I want to claim it before it expires or something, but don't know the exact amount and of course, lost the letter.
    Anyone know who it is that informs you of leftover tuition?
    Or how I'd find that out?
    I want to do our taxes asap this year, because frankly we're going to need that return to get by when EI runs out in March/April.

Hey while I'm at it, anyone know who's better off claming it - dh who worked his normal job for three months and had EI and a p/t job for the rest of the year and has dependents and stuff, or me who worked eight months at min. wage but has no dependents?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

hmmm. not sure Allie. Maybe someone at the UWO finance office can help you seek these answers? I'd also cross post this into the chitchat thread for more exposure. Someone over there will probably know what you need to do.

Im pretty sure that after the intial year and it's rolled over, only you can claim it.
    I don't know anything else about it though.
    Sorry.

Thanks, I didn't know that about after the initial year.
    Maybe Icould just call the IRS or whatever our tax people are called (is that the U.S.'s name? lol) and ask them where to find the info and who can claim it.

I wonder if my accountant has access to this info? hmm.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

CRA- Yes, you should be able to get the information from them!

IRS is states. Lol

I blame Law & Order LOL.
    Just like I always think of DCF instead of CAS, from watching too many episodes of Judging Amy last year.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

if you can still log into your uwo account you tuition amounts are logged there. that's if you know what you've claimed and what not.
    otherwise there is a great website ufile.ca for filing taxes. it might help you decide who its better to claim for you or your husband. basically you input all your info, it gives you the results and only then asks you to pay (which if you are just playing with numbers, you don't have to, just figure it out for yourself and log out ) The site gives you the option of letting “maxback“ (their character)decide who its better to claim for or you can pick yourself whether its you or your husband.
    I/we have filed out taxes through that website for 4+ years now for sure and never have an issue. if you need help ask away, i'll help if I can.

Expert Forum User

You should get it with your notice of assessment so I'd think you could request a copy of it, I believe it is a second piece of paper that says how much you have left to claim but if you call and request it I'd ask to make sure before you get it. LOL. I believe they can also call while you're filing your taxes and have you authorize them to speak for you and get the info but can't remember, it was a few yrs ago I lost my sheet.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley