Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Knitting

Default Finger Knitting

I've been wanting to teach my kids (particularly my 4 years old) finger knitting for a while, but didn't do it till today. I just thought I'd share the resources I used:

Illustrated instructions: http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/...rknitting.html and http://www.craftheart-tokai.jp/qt/q-5-1.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QShnkJVD67E (shows second method above)

Ideas to get kids more interested/involved in finger knitting: http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/fingerknit.htm

DD picked up on it very easily, and did a chain about 10" long in one sitting! I need to now figure out what to do with all these FK chains we'll be making LOL
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

cool! They will make cool belts for your dd
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

girlsmum

Talking

Finger knitting is hilarious..............I'm a better knitter than sewer, for now.......and I demonstrated how to cast on and start a knit from casting 5 stitches on 2 fingers. Vicky started doing a bit of knitting and has this huge ball of finger crocheted yarn, and what? am I supposed to do with all that?............guess I'll have to unpack my knitting needles and crochet hooks I guess!LOL!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

No way... I used to do a simplified version of this as a child - I didn't know that it had a name and that you could actually use it to make things!

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to make 'rolls' like that with a little plastic tool, what the heck was it called??? It was like a tube with little things at the top...we used to wind the rolls and sew them into potholders & rugs & stuff. They also made tube-like barbie dresses. Does anyone remember this thing??

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    I used to make 'rolls' like that with a little plastic tool, what the heck was it called??? It was like a tube with little things at the top...we used to wind the rolls and sew them into potholders & rugs & stuff. They also made tube-like barbie dresses. Does anyone remember this thing??
    Oh yeah - killed hours making those darn things. I don't think I ever actually made anything productive with them like you though!

girlsmum

Red face

Cape Bretoners love to make rugs by using many feet worth of *corking* with the 4 pronged tool that you're talking about, those rugs sell for a lot of money cuz there's a lot of work in it and it's very time consuming. My Vicky did some corking for a bit but didn't do anything with the yards worth of work that she did. She's really into crafts and is really good at it, I just sew and knit and do rug hooking.

Zoo

Corking! Good grief, woman, you know everything! lol

Zoo

http://www.pellatuliptime.com/histor.../strwcork.html

I think I'm gonna get MY kids doing this. I could use the peace & quiet these days!

girlsmum

You're a doll Zoo, sux when you're right though,LOL! Although I bow my head here as it was my prom queen Vicky who reminded me of the name, and the pic you put up is exactly right and it does help keep busy mouths quiet. I think I should start a crafting club for young people around age 5 to 8 and put Vicky in charge of it on Saturday mornings,LOL! She'd do it to. Freak girl has a grandmother who's taught her smocking, tatting, macrame, all those dying craft forms..............and she's good at it. She has a certain idea of being in fashion design.....OR...moving to Nova Scotia and staring a corked rug business! Wonder which she'll choose?

Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    I think I should start a crafting club for young people around age 5 to 8 and put Vicky in charge of it on Saturday mornings,LOL!
    You might be onto something there, you know.

girlsmum

Red face

You know?.................she actually said she'd like to do it, only problem is.......she's away every second weekend, and she is being put back into bowling again this year on Saturday mornings. So if there actually was some interest in a junior crafting club, it would either have to be every second Saturday afternoon or she said "what about after school every Wednesday or something?" Vicky's a good babysitter, but more than that she likes to teach and has enjoyed success at teaching............she was an Irish dance assistant at age 12, she couldn't be more than that at her age. And kids do learn well by younger people, she can teach in a way that adults have forgotten how to relate to. If you really think a junior craft club might be something to get into, I'd love to see some posts about it!

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    No way... I used to do a simplified version of this as a child - I didn't know that it had a name and that you could actually use it to make things!
    From what I can tell, you have to use a minimum of two fingers to make a chain. Is that how the way you did it was simpler?

And look, a book with projects:
    Finger Knitting #1: Handknit Projects For Kids Of All Ages
    Last edited by Siana; 08-22-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    Mama to two

Corking is another hobby I'm looking forward to introducing to the kids. I really like the two corkers below:

and

I think we'll start with the second (also known as a knitting fork) because it's a simpler tool to use for my younger aged kids, though essentially it's like using two fingers for finger knitting!
    Mama to two

girlsmum

OOO..........I like the second pic with the knitting fork! This tool I haven't seen, I'll have to look that one up!! Vicky's found that in our move her corking tool got broken, ARGH, so we're going to see if we can swing by Michael's or White Rose and get her another! If I see this Knitting Fork?.............I'll pick one up.

Anyone like doing canvas work? I don't have many canvas panels left that's fun to do also!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast